E-Cigs

More
06 Feb 2014 05:34 #33938 by Rhythmatic
E-Cigs was created by Rhythmatic
Just figured I'd post a thread asking about how everyone felt in regards to electronic cigarettes. I think I recall at the last LAN, it wasn't a big deal, but I just wanted to check if it'd be an issue or whatever. Also, fellow vapers should hit me up to chat! I love talking about various mods and our favorite ecig flavors and vendors, so come find me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2014 15:00 #33940 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic E-Cigs
I know of myself and maybe a couple others that will probably bring theirs. That reminds me, I have to go get more e-liquid!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhythmatic

More
06 Feb 2014 20:18 #33945 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic E-Cigs
Going off of private messages with concerns on this one. I think it might be best to not use these in the event. I hope you guys understand.

Wes

More
07 Feb 2014 04:58 - 09 Feb 2014 19:56 #33960 by Rhythmatic
Replied by Rhythmatic on topic E-Cigs
No, I don't fully understand. I figured by now folks would have been a bit more educated on the subject, and I'd like to have a genuine discussion with those opposed as to why they feel concerned. I recall someone using a fog machine at one of the LANs a couple years ago. Ecigs use the exact same chemical, propylene glycol, for it's effect, in a mixture of vegetable glycerin. There aren't any second hand effects either.

Here's a list of sources on the research on ecigs www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/co...gh_the_first/c9sknb9

As well as the FDA's: www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/S.../UCM173250.pdf

My whole intention for making this post was to have a discussion, not to have a vocal minority privately message their feelings, only to result in their banning. I don't understand because that isn't that great of a reason. Ultimately, I respect your decision Wes, I'd just like a bit more explanation.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2014 19:56 by Rhythmatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Plague, mc_disease, Myndmelt

More
07 Feb 2014 10:51 #33963 by garfi3ld
Well I can't make people debate the subject at all. I had people come to me at the LAN and also privately after your post. From what I gather the concern is from the nicotine in the vapor and in the 2nd hand vapor as well as the smell. Personally my position on it is that it is a huge improvement over traditional smoking, but I have to keep in mind 134 other people as well especially with some children at the LAN as well. My goal is to try to help everyone have a good time, you guys know that.

Feel free to post up opinions and I will think on it as well as look into other details.

Wes

More
07 Feb 2014 15:39 #33969 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic E-Cigs
No issues with it here. I've seen them in use countless times indoors at concert venues and in similar situations with no problems.

More
07 Feb 2014 17:07 #33975 by DarkEgo
Replied by DarkEgo on topic E-Cigs
I dont want my duaghter or I to breath smoke or water vaper in any way. Not only that if it is in the rental agreement that Wes has with the building owners. That you can not smoke in the building I would not be asking him to use e-cigs in the building and resk us with no more building for the Lan OC.

Sounds to me like the NO Smoking law should apply!

If you have to smoke anything go to your car and do it.

Sorry but I quit smoking 14 years ago and I dont like the to smell them.

Sorry guys!

More
07 Feb 2014 17:15 #33976 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic E-Cigs
I agree with Darkego. I do not like the smell of them, I do not want my daughter breathing in the vapor can contain some nicotine etc. I have issues with breathing at times when around fog machines, cig smoketc so I do not want to be breathing this in either.

The location is no smoking, I would not want to risk the use of the location over e-cigs an LAN OC not have a site anymore.

So again I agree with Ego that the no smoking rules should apply to all types of smoking, be it cigs, cigars, e-cigs, or anything else that becomes legal in Ohio eg Pot.

More
07 Feb 2014 17:35 #33977 by garfi3ld
On the subject of the building I contacted them earlier today to clarify their rules on it all just to be sure before even digging into everything else more.

Here was their reply.

"Hey Wes, our policy states no tobacco or tobacco related products so to answer your question, yes that would include eCigs."

That said knowing there are a few people coming that I would almost consider e-Cig enthusiasts. Feel free to talk about it all and get together at the LAN. Just please follow the buildings direction to keep it out of the building.

Wes

More
07 Feb 2014 19:31 - 07 Feb 2014 19:35 #33979 by Rhythmatic
While I understand where everyone is coming from, please refrain from using the term "smoke". It's not smoke, it's water vapor. Air fresheners and paraffin candles are more harmful. It also contains no tobacco. Nicotine is as dangerous as caffeine, and as I said, there isn't any 2nd hand present on exhale. It's all absorbed. I posted some sources up top, I'd really appreciate if folks would take the time to learn about this prior to generalizing. Here's a great scientific study about that: clearstream.flavourart.it/site/wp-conten...12/09/CSA_ItaEng.pdf ""No toluene, xylene, CO, NO x ,nicotine, acroleinor PAHs were detected on room air during the e-CIG session." and this was in a 16ft x 16ft room, around an 8 ft. ceiling. They also used 11mg/ml, whereas I vape a 6mg/ml, or less. A friend of mine vapes without any nicotine, it's just Kosher flavoring.

I quit smoking as well, and I hate the smell of cigarettes too. The smells of these ecigs vary, mine is currently Cinammon Toast Cruch :laugh: . I've got a green apple, and a blueberry cobbler one. In fact, try as they might, vendors have never actually made a flavor that replicates the taste of cigarettes, and I hope they never do. Blech.

Now, on the subject of Renegade being bothered by fog machines, I fully understand. Some folks are sensitive to PG (propylene glycol, found in toothpastes, lotions, shampoos, hospitals as an air purification system, foods, etc)., so I understand. Granted, my little e-cig can't put out what a fog machine can, and unless you're sitting right next to me, you wouldn't even smell it or see the vapor. But I can respect an allergy or sensitivity.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 19:35 by Rhythmatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, Lersar

More
07 Feb 2014 19:41 #33980 by garfi3ld
Cinammon Toast Cruch

I want a this as a candle in my house

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Rhythmatic

More
07 Feb 2014 20:12 #33981 by Myndmelt
Unfortunately Rhythmatic, they are called e-Cigs and people can't/won't separate them from an actual cigarette. Either way its the house rules so, not much you can really do there.

More
07 Feb 2014 20:21 #33982 by Dreyvas

Myndmelt wrote: Unfortunately Rhythmatic, they are called e-Cigs and people can't/won't separate them from an actual cigarette. Either way its the house rules so, not much you can really do there.

I agree that it is a moot point because of building management. I do tend to get agitated when people get all up in arms about things that they refuse to understand or learn about.

More
07 Feb 2014 20:46 - 07 Feb 2014 20:48 #33983 by Rhythmatic
Oh snap: www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2...spite-criticism.html

Such an interesting article, and pretty good reporting, as well. That last bit gets me though:

E-cigarettes “contain nicotine, which is highly addictive and derived from tobacco,” said Jeff Stephens of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network of Ohio. “There is no reason to give these products special treatment in the (law).”

Yes, but not all e-cig manufacturers get their nicotine from tobacco-derived sources. Nicotine can be found in cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes (both red and green), potatoes (and the peel), and if any of those things are concentrated, like a pureed tomato (V8, anyone?), just 19 grams can equal ~3 hours of passive nicotine absorption. Food for thought. :P
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 20:48 by Rhythmatic.

More
07 Feb 2014 21:29 #33986 by Myndmelt
Also, I vape just for fun. When I order my e-liquid, it does not contain any nicotine. Also most of the time, there isn't any scent to the vapor itself. This can depend on the type of oil used when making that particular e-liquid. I'm not saying that I should be allowed, I'm just putting info out there for anyone that cares to know.

More
09 Feb 2014 11:13 - 09 Feb 2014 11:23 #34003 by Rhythmatic
Oh man. This is awesome:

E-cigs gets thumbs up by American Council on Science and Health www.scribd.com/doc/195347257/Nicotine-and-Health

"Smokers switching to electronic cigarettes can reduce inhaled toxicants by approximately 99 percent. Smokers switching to smokeless can reduce their risk of
dying sooner than non-smokers by about 95 percent."
  • Electronic cigarette vapor appears chemically incapable of causing cancer as cigarette smoke has done. E-cigarette vapor contains toxicants concentrations averaging less than one percent of the concentrations in tobacco cigarette smoke.
  • Governments looking to recoup future excise losses on declining tobacco sales could be tempted to tax e-cigarettes. This would make electronic cigarettes less price-competitive and would have the unwanted side effect of protecting tobacco sales.
  • Respiratory effects:
  • These randomized controlled trials followed participants for six and 12 months, and found no serious adverse events attributable to electronic cigarettes.
  • Lung function:
  • Lung function was not signifcantly decreased in 15 smokers using e-cigarettes, or in 15 never-smokers inhaling the vapor of e-cigarettes or inhaling smoke; lung function was, however, significantly decreased seven percent by active tobacco smoking.
  • Cardiovascular:
  • Arterial stiffness is not increased from vaping
  • Red and white blood cells are not increased in the peripheral blood in the first hour after an e-cigarette either actively or passively inhaled.
  • Nicotine administered by electronic cigarette can relieve chronic idiopathic neutrophilia
  • Brain effects:
  • Nicotine in e-cigarettes reduces the urge to smoke and improves mood, working memory, and prospective memory
  • QUESTION 1. DO E-CIGARETTES LEAD CHILDREN INTO SMOKING?
  • On the evidence to date, the answer is no. The percentage risk of never smokers using e-cigarettes (whether adolescents or adults) is near zero.

also:
  • QUESTION 5. DO E-CIGARETTES RESULT IN DUAL USE?
  • Is dual use a problem?
  • Dual use of cigarettes is harmful, as even a few cigarettes a day increase mortality risk and so to obtain the full health benefit from using e-cigarettes, the switch needs to be complete. On the other hand, dual use may be the norm at the start of the switching period.
  • What can be done?
  • Taxation on tobacco and graphic health warnings encourage people to fully quit smoking. Regulation of e-cigarette packaging and health warnings on e-cigarette packaging could warn vapers of the dangers of an incomplete switch.
  • What not to do.
  • Restricting access to e-cigarettes would favor reversion to smoking.

• Also
, I just switched to the other flavor I got from Vape Dojo, their Emerald Buddha and it tastes exactly like these:

B)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2014 11:23 by Rhythmatic.

More
09 Feb 2014 17:48 #34008 by Ronster
Replied by Ronster on topic E-Cigs
I don't have a problem with e-cigs, i think its great that smokers are turning to them to stop smoking or what not. Gotta say though they stink and for that reason alone you guys should step outside just like the smokers and if standing next to a smoker sucks outside just think of how the non smokers feel about e-cigs and smokers standing next to them. thank god for house rules cause that ecig thing could get bad if more people were to start doing it in an enclosed area. sorry guys i used to smoke cigs and i cant stand the smell of them and don't even like being next to people that are smoking and same goes for the e-cigs so be kind and step outside.

More
09 Feb 2014 19:23 - 09 Feb 2014 19:28 #34010 by Rhythmatic
Actually, pretty much every non-smoker I've been around has enjoyed the smell of whatever flavor I happen to be vaping. It's akin to a candle, or someone's cologne. The reach of the smell is not that far, and it dissipates rapidly. Some of my strongest flavors might linger for about 20 seconds. I'm not sure where you guys are smelling these bad ecigs, but it's specifically not like cigarette stank.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2014 19:28 by Rhythmatic.

More
09 Feb 2014 22:34 #34012 by MadDog
Replied by MadDog on topic E-Cigs
sorry dude but they stink :sick: no matter what. you may think they smell great but we non smokers think they stink just as bad as a cigerette

More
10 Feb 2014 01:45 #34015 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic E-Cigs
I'm a smoker and I use E-cigs at work. Rules are rules.

More
10 Feb 2014 16:47 #34021 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic E-Cigs
Haters gonna hate.

The reason I smoke is I like the taste along with the smell. Call me weird but that's what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
10 Feb 2014 20:47 - 10 Feb 2014 21:08 #34023 by Myndmelt

MadDog wrote: sorry dude but they stink :sick: no matter what. you may think they smell great but we non smokers think they stink just as bad as a cigerette

I really wonder how many you have encountered that 'stink just as bad as a cigarette'. I mean, its vapor. One thing we know is that vapor does not hang in the air as long before it dissipates as there is with smoke. I just have never encountered any that stink or talked to anyone that is offended by a smell of vapor. Definitely nothing like the smell of a cigarette or especially a cheap cig.

Sometimes we have gamers that come that stink in general. Maybe we can make them game outside as well. :woohoo:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2014 21:08 by Myndmelt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Arxon, Rhythmatic

More
25 Feb 2014 23:22 #34190 by Rhythmatic

More
26 Feb 2014 20:24 #34206 by MadDog
Replied by MadDog on topic E-Cigs
Yea, sorry my dad wrote that... but yes I still think they smell bad. As a twelve year old I think they smell ten times worse than they accually probably do. Also, vapor or not it's still pretty much a cigarette... just electric with no nicotene or whatever. But yea... I guess I really dont mind but I really dont enjoy the smell of perfume, quite frankly I don't like the smell of cinnamon Toast Crunch either. Sorry dude... :/

More
26 Feb 2014 22:09 #34210 by Dreyvas

MadDog wrote: Yea, sorry my dad wrote that... but yes I still think they smell bad. As a twelve year old I think they smell ten times worse than they accually probably do. Also, vapor or not it's still pretty much a cigarette... just electric with no nicotene or whatever. But yea... I guess I really dont mind but I really dont enjoy the smell of perfume, quite frankly I don't like the smell of cinnamon Toast Crunch either. Sorry dude... :/

The following user(s) said Thank You: h4lt, Rhythmatic

More
27 Feb 2014 00:58 - 27 Feb 2014 06:53 #34223 by Rhythmatic
Wait, you're twelve?!

alternatively:

Last edit: 27 Feb 2014 06:53 by Rhythmatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
27 Feb 2014 02:46 #34224 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic E-Cigs
Mine is Mt. Dew right now. Pretty good.

More
27 Feb 2014 06:55 #34228 by Rhythmatic
Which vendor? I just killed a 10ml of VaporCast's "Mountain Duh" and it was excellent. They also have a "Cola" that's pretty good, but it's hard to vape on for very long. Definitely not an ADV for me.

More
27 Feb 2014 16:57 #34232 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re:E-Cigs
Cant remember who makes it. But I am looking to pick up a few do the lan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

More
27 Feb 2014 21:17 #34234 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic E-Cigs
Where do you guys order your stuff from and what model e-cig do you use?

We have 2637 guests and no members online

supportus