Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink

More
07 Apr 2010 13:57 #3446 by garfi3ld
** This thread discusses the content article: Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink **

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2010 15:05 #3455 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re:Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
Can you tell us a bit more about your benchmark system? Specifically the CPU itself and the case.

Speaking for myself, I went with this fan based on your recommendation and have been thoroughly impressed. I am running an i7-920 D0 stepping in a HAF 932 case. I've got it stably overclocked to 3.8 GHz and with the temperatures I'm seeing, I'm sure with a lot of work I could go to AT LEAST 4.2GHz before I'd have to worry about the CPU. That said, 3.8 is "fast enough" especially with turbo mode still on. My temps are around 29C idle, 55C prime95'd in a room that's 21C ambient.

I was also highly impressed by the build quality and ease of installation. I was a bit frustrated that the HAF 932 cut-out doesn't take into account LGA1366 boards, so I still had to remove the motherboard, but that only takes a few minutes.

Bottom line, I have this fan, I would recommend it if your case will fit it, you won't be disappointed.

More
07 Apr 2010 15:18 #3463 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
Ive gone ahead and update the review with the test rig information

Our Test Rig

i7 920 CPU at stock voltages and clock speed
Gigabyte GA-EXS8-UD4P Motherboard
Corsair 620 Power supply
1gb x 3 Triple channel A-Data Ram
Western Digital Velociraptor
EVGA 8800GTS
Cooler Master Storm Sniper Case (with the fans turned onto the high setting)
Windows 7
*Room tempature at a steady 69 degrees Fahrenheit during all testing

your HAF CPU cutout should work with some 1366 motherboards. I had the same issue when changing from my Gigabyte to the classified. Some boards move the CPU over just slightly, making it hard

Wes

More
07 Apr 2010 15:23 #3470 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
It almost looks like 2 heatsinks in 1

More
07 Apr 2010 15:39 #3477 by Wingless92
Anyone else notice for the high end air coolers they are getting pretty damn $$$? I mean, sure I do a bit of overclocking but nothing to win a contest with, I have my i7 at 3.2. No voltage tweaks nothing. I only rarely see 30% CPU usage. I am not saying that I would use the stock Intel cooler but I would like see the $20 coolers tested and see where they stack up. Seems like this one is on par with the V10 from Coolermaster.

We have 1492 guests and no members online

supportus