7/27/2011 LanOC Gaming News

More
27 Jul 2011 04:28 #17096 by Wingless92
Hopefully everyone survived the heat wave that the midwest just went through. Steam has set some awesome numbers about how much they have made and their top ten games. Batman Arkham Asylum is this weeks Midweek Madness sale and finally I have finished Duke Nukem Forever with some great screenshots. Its Wednesday and that means Gaming News is a go!
Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2011 15:47 #17105 by drpain
Hail to the King....

You are right about people needing to get off Duke's back and I think the reason people are being harsh is that they probably weren't around in the glory days of Duke or they think the game needs to be like another hand holding FPS clone with a Michael Bay script.

Duke Forever played like a Duke title. Guns, Babes, Corny one liners and nonsensical puzzles.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
27 Jul 2011 15:59 #17106 by Kurzuul
Replied by Kurzuul on topic 7/27/2011 LanOC Gaming News
As for DNF getting poor reviews: I'm guessing it's because, you know, it's completely outdated in terms of game mechanics. And it took ten years to make while still being pretty much mediocre. Also, if every game has to be another clone, wouldn't Borderlands have gotten a bad score?

It's just not a good game, and it was a terrible idea to ever dig it up from its grave.

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

More
27 Jul 2011 17:45 #17108 by drpain

Kurzuul wrote: As for DNF getting poor reviews: I'm guessing it's because, you know, it's completely outdated in terms of game mechanics. And it took ten years to make while still being pretty much mediocre. Also, if every game has to be another clone, wouldn't Borderlands have gotten a bad score?

It's just not a good game, and it was a terrible idea to ever dig it up from its grave.

That's the thing do games these days need to hold peoples hands and have shit blow up constantly on screen like a Michael Bay film? I think that is the problem with a lot of games this generation in that it removes you from having to think and everything is scripted to point where its just a linear shot from A to B.

At least Duke's puzzles made some people have to think about what they need to do instead of follow way point A to get way point B and hey look pretty pictures.

There are the few games out there that are a challenge or require one to think but majority of it just spoon fed to you.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
28 Jul 2011 07:29 #17145 by Leonresevil2
Arkham is on sale so often. And I wonder if the Summer Sale was included in the Steam profit prediction. And if they are making more money under the TF2 banner by just selling items instead of that and the game.

As for Duke and the implementations on gaming, I think people expected more for a game that took so long and didn't have CoD attached to it. People enjoy games that aren't just explosions, hand holding, and guns. Look at those Portal 2 sales. Look at how indie games are doing online.
Often, it's not the most voices, but it's the loudest voices are heard the most. And those tend to be the noobie teens suckling off the CoD teet and hating on everything else that requires a brain capable of memory and nostalgia. Duke was decent and functional as a FPS. The mechanics may have been flawed, but it wasn't super easy, and some players want that. I think some reviews didn't look at it well simply because it had hype behind it without a big name company that would bribe them for good reviews.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
29 Jul 2011 21:48 #17280 by Wingless92
Thanks for the LINK!!!! Shacknews

Duke Nukem's arsenal is about to double, ladies and gentlemen.

According to Gearbox Community Manager (and Shacknews alum) Chris Faylor, a patch is currently in the works for Duke Nukem Forever that will increase Duke's inventory slots, allowing him to carry up to four weapons at once during the single-player campaign.

More
30 Jul 2011 05:44 #17330 by Leonresevil2
Sweet, brings it closer to how classic games were. I miss carrying an arsenal and feeling like a badass.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1966 guests and no members online

supportus