I want your opinion

More
22 Oct 2010 01:40 - 22 Oct 2010 01:41 #10485 by vialdragon
Remember back in the day when you could buy used PC games? I bought Star Craft for $10! I liked it so much I spent $30-$40 on the expansion brood wars. This is just an example. But then came about piracy, and for that reason buying used PC games became a thing of the past.

To my real point. I think steam could bring this back. Now a days seems like all we really need is that key. Steam does a great job making sure if you play the game through steam its legit. It keeps track of your games. This is not new info to any of us.

What I'm proposing is selling your used steam games through steam. I really don't know the logistics of it all but it sounds feasible that if u were done playing a game just like any normal console game that you could trade it in at Game Stop. Why not hit the sell button on your used Steam games get rid of the game to someone that will find new appreciation in it, and make a few bucks while your at it. So that maybe now you can go splurge on the new game you would possibly other wise have to wait on. Of course I would expect a fee to be taken by steam, but I think the end justifies the means.

I typically don't care for consoles, give me a mouse and keyboard and I'm a much happier customer. PC gamers are quite spoiled we enjoy many perks that console gamers will only ever dream of. I can only think of one thing console gamers have over us. That being the ability to trade games in. I'm looking for any way to be able to topple consoles. I think this would bring us one step closer.

But what do you think?

Also if your concerned about consoles. Wouldn't you like to upgrade your 360? More ram? Improved graphics? As opposed to buying the next X-box Nintendo play station?? If we could ever manage to completely topple the console business I would gladly pay $300 for a legitimate Emulator, of the next gen "Console" Would you? If your worried about piracy on it just download it through Steam :evil:

*EDIT*
If none oppose this and majority think it could be a good Idea I plan to submit the idea and a link to this forum to steam.

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2010 01:41 by vialdragon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2010 02:10 #10487 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: I want your opinion
I thought you could sell your games, at least you used to. I think it would cost $10 to do the transfer. People who plan on selling their games after they buy them, create a new account for every game. Then you just sell the whole account.

More
22 Oct 2010 02:45 #10489 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: I want your opinion
after you sent me this the other day i put a little more thought into it. I think the main issue is going to be steam pissing off all of the companys they work with when they start cutting out most of their profits when they resell a game rather than sell a 2nd game.

Wes

More
22 Oct 2010 02:57 - 22 Oct 2010 02:59 #10491 by vialdragon
Replied by vialdragon on topic Re: I want your opinion
believe it or not I did put thought into that.. I just thought there may be a political way around it. and how does game stop do it?

and nacelle if you can sell your pc games in your area I'd love to know where. I mean this. I'd travel to sell some pc games.

Last edit: 22 Oct 2010 02:59 by vialdragon.

More
22 Oct 2010 03:01 #10492 by vialdragon
Replied by vialdragon on topic Re: I want your opinion
I did have another thought of people taking advantage of the system. Think enough and there is an exploit in it. but so far again steam has managed to overcome some obstacles.

More
22 Oct 2010 03:17 #10493 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: I want your opinion
Nope, nothing here that I know of. The problem is, you have to trust the person you're buying from, not to use that key anymore. There's too many crooks out there to trust anyone like that.

More
22 Oct 2010 03:50 - 22 Oct 2010 03:51 #10494 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: I want your opinion
kotaku.com/5663410/steam-to-introduce-digital-trade+ins

Though its been updated to prove false, it nevertheless shows that Steam is aware of the idea. Not quite the same thing, but pretty close.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2010 03:51 by Lersar.

More
22 Oct 2010 04:19 #10496 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: I want your opinion

Lersar wrote: kotaku.com/5663410/steam-to-introduce-digital-trade+ins

Though its been updated to prove false, it nevertheless shows that Steam is aware of the idea. Not quite the same thing, but pretty close.

Came in to post this.

More
25 Oct 2010 04:16 #10557 by Kurzuul
Replied by Kurzuul on topic Re: I want your opinion
Gamestop does sell used games, but I think if certain companies had their way that would never happen. And those certain companies are just the companies Valve needs to keep happy, I'm sure.

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

More
25 Oct 2010 18:57 #10564 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: I want your opinion

Kurzuul wrote: Gamestop does sell used games, but I think if certain companies had their way that would never happen. And those certain companies are just the companies Valve needs to keep happy, I'm sure.

They don't sell used PC games though, which is probably a good thing. When I started working there, they didn't gut (take the disc out and put it behind the counter) the PC games like they do console; eventually, theft got bad enough that they started to. Corporate still didn't understand product codes, and left them in there with the manual and took the disc only.

We have 1635 guests and no members online

supportus