Darkspore 4packs

More
29 Mar 2011 19:28 #14607 by Leonresevil2
Saw that the beta is now open on Steam, and they are doing a 4pack for $37.50 each. Good deal, may drop a sale sometime, but it IS EA...
Info: Link to store and from the store homepage, there are 2 copies listed as coming soon, no clue why. Probably a temporary glitch. Game looks to have good potential as a fresh ARPG. Preorder unlocks a character and parts, maybe exclusive. I know some of us have been interested in the game, and beta should be a good indicator of quality.
I'm going to try to try to play it (stupid laptop), tentatively interested in getting a copy. Shout up if you're interested, tentative or for sure.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 06:22 - 28 Apr 2011 20:08 #14795 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Darkspore 4packs
DP bump, I love the beta! It's possibly the best ARPG ever, and can very easily compete with Diablo 3. The enemy types are impressively varied, and it features many unique takes on the ARPG genre. The double-down feature in leveling gives you greater rewards for playing well and consistently, and I have no doubt that co-op is very fun. It's one of the best ARPGs out there, despite being from EA and a developer that has not made such a game before. Despite their inexperience, they put more thought in this than many others, and worked to fix many flaws that exist in traditional ARPGs. Seriously, try it.

I'm definitely getting it, and getting the 4-pack would be nice to cut price. I intend to time it closer to the Lan, since I want paid for sure before I'm spending 40 bucks on one of you and you end up not paying or something. 7 bucks is not so bad. So, I'll list up the takers here, and hopefully we can get a full group. I expect this will take off as a lan game quite well. Try the beta, see what you think, and speak up if you want in.

Darkspore 4-pack:
1. LeonResEvil2

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 20:08 by Leonresevil2.

More
04 Apr 2011 06:37 #14799 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Darkspore 4packs
Downloading the demo now, I'll let you know.

More
04 Apr 2011 08:44 #14804 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Darkspore 4packs
Played it for a bit but it doesn't like triple monitors. It takes the screen and smashes it down, doesn't look right at all. I haven't messed with it to much but it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I will have to look again and see if I can get it working. Not gonna disable Surround in the Nvidia control panel just to play one game.

Like Adam, I have to put more time into it.

More
04 Apr 2011 09:11 #14805 by Lersar

Wingless92 wrote: Played it for a bit but it doesn't like triple monitors. It takes the screen and smashes it down, doesn't look right at all. I haven't messed with it to much but it doesn't look like there is a fix for it. I will have to look again and see if I can get it working. Not gonna disable Surround in the Nvidia control panel just to play one game.

Like Adam, I have to put more time into it.

Is it that involved to disable it?

More
04 Apr 2011 14:44 #14807 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Darkspore 4packs
Disabling isn't the problem. It's when you turn it back on, you have to run through the setup and bezel compensation again.

More
04 Apr 2011 20:39 #14810 by Lersar
That seems like a pain... I'm sure its worth it though.

I played about an hour of the beta this morning. I think I'm going to pick it up, but I want to play a little more of it first. I really like the gameplay/item system, but I'm not a huge fan of the customization level they carried over from Spore. It doesn't really matter what direction a piece of armor is facing, but I'm a perfectionist and tend to spend way too much time with that circular-thingy trying to get it perfect in the armory.

Matchmaking co-op took about fifteen seconds to find a match and put me in it, and the chat dialogue gives you great info like if a member is watching the intro video, or if they're ready. It's kinda like a lobby without a lobby. When you're in a party match, you roll for items too like in WoW.

I'm not sure what to think about having a party of different heroes. It reminds me of a combination of Diablo and HoN/DoTA, both of which focus on buffing a single character. It's taking some getting used to, I tend not to switch even if I'm getting hammered with crits because our types clash. With 100 heroes to see though I understand why they don't want people to just stick with one.

The narrations havne't done a great job of pulling me into the story. I understand whats going on, but sometimes after a level I don't know if it was present or playing through a prior memory. To be fair, my last PC campaign was StarCraft 2, so my expectations are high.

/minireview

More
04 Apr 2011 22:11 #14811 by Lersar
Aaand the beta has disappeared from Steam :(

More
04 Apr 2011 23:19 #14814 by Leonresevil2
Had no idea about the triple-screen issue. It is still beta, though, so bug reports will probably lead to a fix. If BFBC2 and Crysis 2 work fine with it, so should this, in time.
Huh, I guess the beta really IS gone. I heard it would keep up until release. Well, I have it on my desktop, and I won't be online to update, so I can still play it, unless they built in code to kill it at a certain time.
I personally love the ability to customize appearances so much, and cool items that have become outdated in abilities can be turned into detail items, so you can keep the looks and get the more powerful equipment at the same time. It's a great method to keep everyone looking very individual.
Changing heroes can be very useful with some skill combinations, and it's nice to be able to adapt to the area with different squads so single-players don't get messed up so much.
The narration was difficult to understand at first, but it's basically what was written up on the website before release. The intro goes over the past, and everything else after is real time I believe.

I'm not sure what is up with the Beta, since the game actually doesn't have a particular day set yet, maybe April 26th but that could push back. I definitely want it, and I was considering offering 4-pack members the copies for 35 or 30 instead of $37.50. At least we have some time until release; I definitely want those bonus items, very nice bonuses.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
05 Apr 2011 00:07 #14816 by Lersar
It's street dated for the 26th, so that shouldn't change.

More
05 Apr 2011 17:27 - 05 Apr 2011 19:00 #14826 by Leonresevil2

Lersar wrote: It's street dated for the 26th, so that shouldn't change.

But Steam doesn't have a date tied down, and I know that some games come to Steam after boxed releases and such. You think they will actually have a simultaneous release?
Edit: I also remembered that Darkspore was supposed to release back in February, and just a few days before release, the game went closed beta and got pushed back these months. Really, the game is quite polished, but I'm not sure what is up.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2011 19:00 by Leonresevil2.

More
06 Apr 2011 04:04 #14840 by Lersar

Leonresevil2 wrote:

Lersar wrote: It's street dated for the 26th, so that shouldn't change.

But Steam doesn't have a date tied down, and I know that some games come to Steam after boxed releases and such. You think they will actually have a simultaneous release?
Edit: I also remembered that Darkspore was supposed to release back in February, and just a few days before release, the game went closed beta and got pushed back these months. Really, the game is quite polished, but I'm not sure what is up.

Yeah its actually been pushed back a couple times. At one point we were looking at it as a potential new title since it was one of the few that came out before the LAN. Obviously thats not the case anymore. I would bet for a same-day release, but it is odd that they haven't been any more specific than the month.

More
06 Apr 2011 18:49 - 06 Apr 2011 18:51 #14857 by Leonresevil2

Lersar wrote: Yeah its actually been pushed back a couple times. At one point we were looking at it as a potential new title since it was one of the few that came out before the LAN. Obviously thats not the case anymore. I would bet for a same-day release, but it is odd that they haven't been any more specific than the month.

Would be great if the beta came back in time for the lan. At least we will have Sanctum officially by then!

Anyway, we need more people signed up for a 4-pack! NitrosDragon has it wishlisted at least.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2011 18:51 by Leonresevil2.

More
20 Apr 2011 20:20 #15262 by Leonresevil2
Bumpity, found that store.steampowered.com/app/99890/ has a hidden little link below the four pack to get back into the open beta, it's open for the next 2 days as of right now. Try the game out if you're interested. I'm planning to wait a bit most likely and see for a sale or something, or to see what happens with the persistent network connection requirements.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
20 Apr 2011 20:35 #15264 by Wingless92
Count me in for the 4pack.

More
21 Apr 2011 05:51 #15280 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re: Darkspore 4packs

Leonresevil2 wrote: Anyway, we need more people signed up for a 4-pack! NitrosDragon has it wishlisted at least.

If they had a "Tuition-Sucks-So-Gift-This List" it would be there as well.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
21 Apr 2011 19:10 #15294 by Leonresevil2

NitrosDragon wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote: Anyway, we need more people signed up for a 4-pack! NitrosDragon has it wishlisted at least.

If they had a "Tuition-Sucks-So-Gift-This List" it would be there as well.

Agreed, I'm hoping to get this for cheaper, but I do know I will enjoy it a lot, probably more than Titan Quest or other ARPGs.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
27 Apr 2011 01:08 #15386 by Wingless92
So did you pick up the 4 pack? If so shoot one my way and i'll paypal you the cash.

More
27 Apr 2011 19:39 - 25 Jun 2011 09:20 #15391 by Leonresevil2
Not yet. Waiting on more people and/or sale. If it wasn't $150 then I'd be more willing to get before having everyone down.

Edit: Found on Newegg for 43, may see a steam sale or drop reasonably timed.

Edit: It's been awhile, no changes, done watching for it. It was on sale a bit ago, but I've lost interest. I'll just go with Grim Dawn, and maybe get this later if it drops down.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2011 09:20 by Leonresevil2.

We have 1740 guests and no members online

supportus