Activision wants to charge for game cutscenes

More
17 Sep 2010 23:13 - 17 Sep 2010 23:13 #9344 by drpain
Oh Bobby Kotick you get funnier and funnier every month...

Kotaku

If Activision stripped all of the cutscenes from StarCraft II, pasted them together into one big movie and charged between 20 to 30 dollars for you to buy it, would you pay? Activision's Bobby "I Need Moar Money" Kotick thinks you would.
"If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, and take it out of the game and we were to go to our audiences, who we have their credit card information a direct relationship, and say to them 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?"

And this gem of a quote here...
"My guess is unlike film studios that are really stuck with a model that goes through theatrical distribution and takes a signification amount of the profit away, if we were to go to an audience and say 'We have this great hour and a half of linear video that we'd like to make available to you at a $20 or $30 price point,' you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."

They are saying they can get this out the door and in our homes in five years. Don't know about you guys but this is just asinine to even think people would shell out big bucks to watch game cutscenes when you can already watch them from the damn game. Does anyone else think Kotick needs a nice shiner in his left eye? Seriously he has managed to turn Activision into the new EA which isn't a good thing.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 23:13 by drpain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2010 00:31 - 18 Sep 2010 00:32 #9347 by NitrosDragon
Thanks for the breakdown, drpain! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Activision from now on.

Btw, +karma. ;D

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose
Last edit: 18 Sep 2010 00:32 by NitrosDragon.

More
18 Sep 2010 00:53 #9348 by Plague
And this is why I will not pay money for Starcraft II either.

We have 1458 guests and no members online

supportus