Ancient accounts on forums

More
23 Apr 2010 05:31 - 23 Apr 2010 20:04 #4483 by Leonresevil2
Got bored, did some looking, and found this page . Some people have never logged in, and some in the classic computer error date, December 31, 1969.

I was thinking of suggesting clearing these users out (I'm a neat-freak when it comes to data sometimes), but then I thought, maybe having more users makes the site look better? Does this actually affect the website's ratings? In one way, we would have more users listed. In other, if we cleared them out, LanOC could say that a higher percentage of users are current and active (not sure what %). Just something to think about I suppose.

EDIT: just noticed the link was not showing up right, sorry.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2010 20:04 by Leonresevil2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2010 12:22 #4492 by NitrosDragon
It's like a town without a cemetery. Nobody stays very long, eh? No, we want old users, oh yes, we want old users. Mwahahahaa. :woohoo:

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
23 Apr 2010 14:35 #4502 by technobear
ya, id leave em alone. Unless there is a database size issue theres really no benefit to deleting them.

More
23 Apr 2010 18:33 #4541 by Leonresevil2
NitrosDragon wrote:

It's like a town without a cemetery. Nobody stays very long, eh? No, we want old users, oh yes, we want old users. Mwahahahaa. :woohoo:

Speaking of old users, I found out last night that if you enter your birthdate in AUP as January 1st, 0000, you can throw off the average user age by a LOT. I found it quite humorous. At the same time, it seems like it marks your age as 40, despite being far older. Maybe there is a logic lock on the age? Does AUP not support Lan members above 40?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 Apr 2010 19:26 #4554 by Twodavez
Ha ha, i guess with posts like this, how couldn't you make your way to leader board for the contest... what a random topic, wish we still have PM's so you could just PM Wes, instead of offereing it up to the community to discuss. Even if everyone thought we should delete the old users, what would that solve?
Maybe the off topic catagory isn't my cup of tea like Reaper mentioned. :dry:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
23 Apr 2010 20:03 - 23 Apr 2010 20:05 #4568 by Leonresevil2
Agreed, PMs would be nice to have again. Sorry about the topic, I would delete it or allow it to be deleted, if no one cares. Off Topic is just random things, and it was somewhat of a legitimate question (whether the amount of users, active or not, benefits the LAN and such). Myself, I would think that the ability to say "92% of our users have been active in the last month" would be better for attracting sponsors that "We have 1000 registered users". But that's just my thought. I wondered how it really was, since I'm obviously not too familiar with what sponsors really look for.

EDIT: Sorry if I didn't make the original post clear enough, and fixed the missing link in the OP.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2010 20:05 by Leonresevil2.

More
23 Apr 2010 20:07 #4570 by technobear
Dont feel bad dude its a valid question.. but like i said before but put a different way.. If Garfield had 10s of thousands of users and needed to make room for more it would be something to consider. But since he doenst have that many yet. And there seems to be no pressing need. Its kind of no harm no foul.

More
23 Apr 2010 20:35 #4585 by Lersar
We have deleted thousands of spam accounts. We literally had so many that our newsletter (which, btw, is awesome if you're not getting it you should sign up for it) wouldn't even send out because of so many.

More
23 Apr 2010 20:41 #4589 by garfi3ld
Deleting people wouldn't really help us with anything. Its still a good way to send out our newsletters to people who may be interested. Plus, just because someone hasn't been on the site recently doesn't mean they don't want to come back. We have had people leave for family/military/school/life reasons and come back much later.

Wes

More
23 Apr 2010 21:01 #4603 by Leonresevil2
I can understand the reasons for having to leave. I didn't think users that hadn't been logged in anytime recently would receive the newsletter. As for spam accounts, you guys must be pretty good about it, because I have never really seen any here. But yea, I looked into the point tracking history and noticed how every account got points added from the new forums, and you really notice there just how many accounts we have, a lot of which I have not really noticed (ever in some cases). That's what made me think of this factor. I'm not so concerned about saving space on the server. I can imagine that, when setting up the new forums, things probably jammed up a bit with all the new accounts being credited and all, but it probably has no effect now. Really, I was just curious about how user numbers vs. active user rates affected for sponsorship. Or is website visitors/page views the main thing used?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 Apr 2010 21:04 #4605 by garfi3ld
Sponsorship really would benefit more from having more users. Lan sponsors look at our web traffic, event attendance, and anything else to get an idea of how many people will see their product and ads.

Wes

More
23 Apr 2010 21:25 #4612 by Leonresevil2
That makes sense. I just wondered if they looked into how many actual, active, re-appearing people would be seeing the ads and such. I guess I can get some people signed up then (real ones, not artificially inflating :) )

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 Apr 2010 21:26 #4613 by technobear
*gasp! * you were holding back?!

More
23 Apr 2010 21:35 #4616 by Leonresevil2
Well, I have some Facebook friends that are interested, but I thought that them being fans on Facebook was good enough. Guess I didn't really think about it. So, now I will invite them in.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1624 guests and no members online

supportus