Want to Thank Everyone plus Comments/Suggestions

More
18 Sep 2015 02:42 #37231 by Koolaid84
I wanted to thank everyone for coming out to the Lan this past weekend, hope everyone had a good time! I wanted to make a post for suggestions/comments/questions/concerns. you can post here or PM me or garfi3ld the choice is yours! :D

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kelf
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
18 Sep 2015 14:31 #37232 by Kelf
I think the rules could use a look over to make sure things like torrents are included so some of us aren't caught off guard and kicked from the network :laugh:

More
18 Sep 2015 18:51 #37235 by renegade
Use of torrent apps at a LAN should go without saying that its a no no, but yea I agree Keif rules need to be in place for what happens if your caught using said apps especially if your DLing pirate crap.

For this reason I added this type of post / rules to NeXus LAN.

More
20 Sep 2015 19:00 - 20 Sep 2015 19:05 #37242 by Wooderson
Thanks LanOC staff for all the effort you guys and gals put into the event. I had a great time, and I will see everyone in March. Long live LanOC!

I kill CPU's
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2015 19:05 by Wooderson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar, Kelf

More
22 Sep 2015 15:01 #37243 by Myndmelt
Thank you staff and organizers, Great LAN as always!
My only concern was available bandwidth and high pings in online games. I understand maybe someone had some torrents going at certain points, even still isn't each client throttled so that one machine can't run away with a bulk of the traffic? Also I was just curious if LANOC was not able to secure as much overall bandwidth that we have enjoyed in the pas, with multiple modems and such. It just seemed like the over all internet speeds were very capped down per client or maybe just slower than it had been at previous LANs. I could be wrong, that was just my perception.

And for anyone 'caught off guard' about using torrent or peer to peer services at the LAN. YES it should be in the rules, but let's use some common sense here. Don't let torrent program start automatically and don't use them at a public event. It's sad that we have to add a 'Dimwit clause' for everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

• Kelf
More
22 Sep 2015 15:51 #37244 by Kelf
I think the most frustrating part, at least for me, was the callousness of which the whole torrent issue was handled. We aren't an extremely large LAN, our venue isn't that large itself, and we have a PA system and yet there was no attempt at communication before being removed from the network. I understand the problems the torrents can cause for the LAN as a whole and was more than happy to turn it off instead of being voted off the island without my even knowing. Yes, we shouldn't really have to mention it, but there were a few others who had the same issue and it falls along the same lines as reminding people about network cables and power strips. Something that you probably shouldn't have to do but as a common courtesy, which I don't think we should be above, we should do.

More
22 Sep 2015 18:39 #37245 by Myndmelt

our venue isn't that large itself, and we have a PA system and yet there was no attempt at communication before being removed from the network

I heard several announcements over the PA about stopping the torrents and I was on the far side of the room closest to the front doors. They even specified the name of the PC that had the activity. What else would you expect?

More
22 Sep 2015 21:53 #37246 by Sideout
The attached picture shows the issue way better than I can describe it.

When they are running away with download it is not as big as problem as when they do it with upload and the torrent software was using TCP and UDP which impacts gaming traffic directly as most games are UDP and the limiters we use are only for TCP.
Putting in UDP limiters would not be a good thing with almost 95% of gaming traffic is UDP and was in the same port range as the torrents.
We had the same amount of modems this time as the last. We used the same config on the same hardware. There was just the different issue of Steam having problems the majority of the weekend and the torrents.

Additionally we do not know what if anything TWC is doing on their end as our modems pulled IP's from Columbus and registered there and while we 2 on different gateways they were all in the same VLAN on the TWC side and would hit the same head end.

I am the LAN!!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt

• Kelf
More
22 Sep 2015 23:05 #37247 by Kelf
Myndmelt that was only after I had been locked out of the network entirely and had to say something to the staff about it. After that they changed their policy. Which was great on the staff for adapting their policies like that on the fly.

More
22 Sep 2015 23:24 #37248 by Myndmelt
It's common sense Kelf, turn that crap off at the LAN party. There shouldn't need to be a rule. Everyone wants to come to the LAN and have fun and play games. Why in the world would you come to lan and turn a torrent program on??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
22 Sep 2015 23:24 #37249 by Sideout
We locked everyone that was torrenting out not just you. Anyone who was torrenting was blocked from all network access until they turned it off.

I am the LAN!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Myndmelt

More
22 Sep 2015 23:52 #37250 by Lersar
Guys, the point of these types of posts is to receive feedback so we can improve for everyone. While you're welcome to provide your insight on topics, please be respectful. It really discourages people from posting when they get called "dimwits", or other names.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
23 Sep 2015 00:05 - 23 Sep 2015 00:09 #37251 by garfi3ld
Okay to answer a few things and hopefully put an end to any arguing

Myndmelt wrote: Also I was just curious if LANOC was not able to secure as much overall bandwidth that we have enjoyed in the pas, with multiple modems and such. It just seemed like the over all internet speeds were very capped down per client or maybe just slower than it had been at previous LANs. I could be wrong, that was just my perception. .

We were running the same internet configuration as in the past but there was a change on the router (Layer7 functionality) that prevented us from completely capping traffic like bit torrent traffic like we have in the past. Because of this Sidout had to monitor things a lot more in depth and was able to pinpoint some torrenting. This only pointed out a PC name so he tired locking those PCs off of the network in order to figure out who's PC is was as the names don't really always give us a way to pinpoint who the person is.

ANYHOW, before our next event I will be updating the rules/FAQ to show how we will be handling this in the future. I don't think anyone initially comes to the LAN to torrent, its typically someone forgetting that it auto opens up or in some cases some of todays games use peer to peer for updating their games and this can completely take over the network as well. I don't think anyone wants to be callous or angry at people who end up accidentally jaming up the network but I can also see why someone would come off that way when they are responsible for making sure 150 people have good internet and things start to break down. That is a lot of responsibility and frankly when the internet is having problems the people who have issues show their frustration a lot.

In the future I hope that we do a better job communicating how we will handle the issue if it comes up. We are slowly moving to layer 2 switches on the tables, with that we will be able to pinpoint where the issue is quicker and if needed even cap that individual port. The Layer 7 stuff will also hopefully be fixed as well to help prevent it from being an issue as well. That said if it comes up we are always going to do what we can to make the experience best for the most amount of people. If that means cutting a port for a minute to insure that the other 150 people can play their games we might have to do that. We are looking at options though to prevent it from coming down to that hopefully.

Wes
Last edit: 23 Sep 2015 00:09 by garfi3ld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar, Myndmelt

More
23 Sep 2015 18:02 - 23 Sep 2015 18:06 #37252 by Dreyvas
If it isn't already in place, maybe it'd be helpful to include a note in the reminder emails that go out to ensure that any P2P programs are set not to run at startup.

I don't know why anyone would let that stuff run at startup anyway, but hey.

Intentional torrenting should be borderline grounds for removal in my book. Not only does it ruin the LAN experience for others, it has the potential to cause legal issues for the event. It's also quite frankly just a very rude, inconsiderate thing to do.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2015 18:06 by Dreyvas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt, JOOOOOOOOOO

We have 2142 guests and no members online

supportus