QuakeCON 2012

More
26 Apr 2012 20:31 #24807 by evildoer
QuakeCON 2012 was created by evildoer
Registration is open

registration.quakecon.org

Anyone going?

Don't be a dummy and make my mistake. I bought the $40 package first.. then had to buy the $30 package secondary to get my seat in the BYOC.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2012 20:34 #24808 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
Unless they've really upped their game, probably not.

www.lanoc.org/forum/15-other-eventsactiv...-2010-followup#17475

More
26 Apr 2012 21:23 #24809 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
Yes there is 4 of us going !!Me Twodave, davyo and echomonkey. been planning since teh first of the year !!! 1000+ seat ssold already is seems 800 left

More
26 Apr 2012 23:01 #24810 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
In my registration screen I'm showing:

Open Seats: 1364
Reserved Seats: 1003

More
26 Apr 2012 23:19 #24811 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
Since it is in August, nope. I will still have the Mustang out and that trumps any game time that I have. That, and how the F do I get my PC down there? Ship it? Cause I ain't driving.

From what I have heard and read about it's really been going downhill the last couple of years. That, and I can sit at home and watch everything from here. All, without spending a thousand bucks on plane tickets, food, lodging and shipping my PC.

I would of liked to have gone but not for all the trouble that is involved. Winter is for gaming, summer is for car stuff, but that's me.

More
27 Apr 2012 00:03 #24812 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
I agree that the LAN portion isn't as big as it used to be, but i figure, if it's going to continue to go down, i better get there now. I'm hypes, and i figure it's going to be as much fun as the people you're with and what you put into it. I've got Family down there so we're going to crash with them, so the whole trip should only cost us about $300 a person including rental car, gas, food, & fun!

I did see that they are working on having PC's and LCD monitors available for Rent for the event for anyone who doesn't want to ship/bring their own...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
27 Apr 2012 00:49 #24813 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
Have fun guys, that sounds like an awesome summer trip, but I just cant afford it. Maybe next year!

More
27 Apr 2012 00:57 #24814 by Twodavez
I always talked about going to a BIG Lan every summer. It should be a LAN OC Tradition! Even if it's a local one.. Just something with more than 250 people!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
27 Apr 2012 02:32 #24815 by vialdragon
Replied by vialdragon on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
The thought of 250 makes my head spin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

More
27 Apr 2012 05:08 #24818 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
I have been to LanWAR will not go to another lan like that. Too many people and not enough interpersonal talking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
27 Apr 2012 10:57 #24820 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
I like going to big lans also along with medium and small lans. I would really like to go to quakecon, the cost of the hotel is the biggest killer for me.

Wes

More
27 Apr 2012 13:58 #24822 by cytog64
Replied by cytog64 on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
If this is your first time and you are traveling with a group of friends, you will likely enjoy yourself.

The cost of the Hilton can be offset by sharing the room between 4 people. 4 nights if you are flying comes to about $550 total. 3 nights if you are driving ends up around $400.Cheaper hotel options include the Marriott and the Crown plaza in downtown...I stayed at both in January for work projects.

Sad to see that they are charging for the event...but I am happy they didn't cancel altogether like Blizzard cancelled blizzcon.

More
27 Apr 2012 19:33 - 27 Apr 2012 23:50 #24824 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
I am excited to go as well. I have been to big lans before and love the experence. Who never know what will happen, who you might meet( Pax East i partied with Kevin CEO of Origin pc, or swag you might get a case of butterfingers or NOC lol ? and going with a groups of friend will make it a blast. It must not have gone down hill too much. its still packing the house!!!! :)
Last edit: 27 Apr 2012 23:50 by jj_Sky5000.

More
26 Jun 2012 01:20 #25905 by evildoer
I'll definitely be down there, got the final OK today. Booking my room and flights tonight. Completely happy I skipped E3 for Quakecon instead.

More
26 Jun 2012 03:35 #25906 by Twodavez

evildoer wrote: I'll definitely be down there, got the final OK today. Booking my room and flights tonight. Completely happy I skipped E3 for Quakecon instead.

Looking forward to hanging out with you more. Between your vendor status and JJ's Media Pass, i think we're going to have lots of parties to go to! ;)

More
19 Jul 2012 05:53 #26279 by evildoer
Been hitting up all of my vendors, I'll have vendors there, but no one I deal with.

It seems my group of vendors is more of the Computex/CES/Cebit type. QuakeCON might be too small. I did get a half cocked introduction to the girl running the Coolermaster booth and they offered me a tour, w/e that means. I'm assuming it'll be like 50'x10' max.

I did build my rig to take down there with me though. I'll take it with me to Plagues House LAN and the next Nexus (this weekend) too. Not that it's anything special, I was hoping to hire someone to do a crazy mod on my behalf but it started getting to be too late.
Attachments:

More
19 Jul 2012 06:53 #26287 by garfi3ld
take me and I can toss a large systemax logo on our dual CPU monster ;)

Wes

More
19 Jul 2012 16:35 #26293 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: take me and I can toss a large systemax logo on our dual CPU monster ;)

i'm pretty sure JJ has an extra Media Pass for the BYOC (Bring Your Own Computer)area. Not sure where they are sitting, but from what i understand if you show up wednesday night, you might be able to drop off your stuff and pick up a first come first serve seat.
It's going to be a good time!!!

More
19 Jul 2012 18:39 #26296 by evildoer

garfi3ld wrote: take me and I can toss a large systemax logo on our dual CPU monster ;)

If you can cover the $25 a night add-on charge (I don't get reimbursed since it's already been approved) and find a way to get down there I can share my room.

I think it's dual twin beds anyway @ the Hilton Anatole. The friggin room is the most expensive part. I'm there Aug 1 and leaving the 6.

More
19 Jul 2012 19:04 #26297 by Twodavez
$25 a night rider? they don't count the number of people in the room, you're already getting a two bed room, so it's not like it's an extra expense for the hotel for you to have someone sleep in the other bed, or on the floor...

I've got family that lives in Dallas, so we're crashing with them. Although everyone says that to get the most out of the event, you should stay close to minimize drive time away from the event...
For the cost, i'll drive :-)

More
19 Jul 2012 19:20 #26298 by evildoer

Twodavez wrote: $25 a night rider? they don't count the number of people in the room, you're already getting a two bed room, so it's not like it's an extra expense for the hotel for you to have someone sleep in the other bed, or on the floor...

I've got family that lives in Dallas, so we're crashing with them. Although everyone says that to get the most out of the event, you should stay close to minimize drive time away from the event...
For the cost, i'll drive :-)

No idea, they were pretty anal over the phone when I was trying to get the quake-con rate (which I didn't get). I almost always travel solo, I just know what they put in their T&C's.

It's only $25 per night if I get charged.

More
19 Jul 2012 22:21 - 19 Jul 2012 22:34 #26299 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: QuakeCON 2012
OK plane ticket booked. Looks like I am going now as well!

Flying in Wed and out Sunday.

Anyone have an extra pre-paid byoc ticket they wanna sell me?
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 22:34 by renegade.

More
19 Jul 2012 22:35 - 19 Jul 2012 23:16 #26301 by Twodavez

renegade wrote: OK plan ticket booked. Looks like I am going now as well!

Flying in Wed and out Sunday.

Anyone have an extra pre-paid byoc ticket they wanna sell me?

They are non-transferable.
You need to check out the unofficial forums, TONS of information!
www.qconforums.org/forums/

Also, if you show up wednesday night, you might be able to get a First come First Served seat www.qconforums.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1459
Evildoer is sitting across the isle from Dave Yo, JJ, and I so you'd have some people to pal around with. Although from what i understand everyone is SUPER friendly!

Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 23:16 by Twodavez.

More
19 Jul 2012 23:34 #26302 by garfi3ld
Of the people going by car, please let me know if you have any extra room :)

Wes

More
19 Jul 2012 23:36 #26303 by Twodavez
We're full, not sure what kind of rental car we're going to get and would rather not try to sqeeze into a car if that's what we end up getting...
From what i've read, we're going to want to do this every year. So maybe we can plan a little better. I'd sleep on the floor if a hotel is needed...

More
20 Jul 2012 00:00 #26304 by evildoer
Also FWIW, I moved right next to Twodavez a few weeks back

We're all right in the same area.

I moved one seat over so someone is less likely to sit next to twodavez hopefully leaving room for Renegade.

More
20 Jul 2012 00:21 #26305 by garfi3ld

Twodavez wrote: We're full, not sure what kind of rental car we're going to get and would rather not try to sqeeze into a car if that's what we end up getting...
From what i've read, we're going to want to do this every year. So maybe we can plan a little better. I'd sleep on the floor if a hotel is needed...

no worries, I have always wanted to get one of those 12 person vans and make the trip. It would be cheapest shared between everyone and taking turns to drive down would mean no overnight stop or anything

Wes

More
20 Jul 2012 00:21 #26306 by garfi3ld
or an RV!

Wes

More
20 Jul 2012 00:38 #26308 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: or an RV!

I've looked into this, it's not cheap. I wanted to rent one and travel the northeast part of the country, just go up the coast and eat lots of fresh seafood and stuff. I think the RV would be useless once you get down there.
there was a guy trying to buy a bus, put 6 lan stations in it and drive from Chicago to QC, but he couldn't find the right bus...

More
20 Jul 2012 01:00 #26309 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: Of the people going by car, please let me know if you have any extra room :)

I did find another group heading down from Fort Wayne, I can ask them if they have any extra room. They didn't know about LAN OC or anything, but have been going to QC for like 6 years now. It's crazy that people don't realize that LAN parties still go on!
What an untapped market here in Fort Wayne...

We have 1900 guests and no members online

supportus