Sony introduces "plus" paid subscriptions

More
15 Jun 2010 20:41 #6612 by garfi3ld
kotaku.com/5564334/premium-playstation-p...ptions-coming-to-psn

"Sony will offer a premium subscription to the PlayStation Network, one that doesn't replace the current free service but does offer "an enhanced experience," with additional content, early demo access and more. It will cost $49.99 a year.

Jack Tretton announced the plans for the premium service at Sony's E3 news conference. Subscribers may also choose a $17.99-per-3 months pricing plan. PlayStation Plus subscribers also would get "hundreds of dollars" in free content and discounts on certain items within the PlayStation Store.

The first three months of the service will be available for free for a limited time to subscribers, Tretton said.

Standard PSN features now delivered for free will continue to be free, Tretton said. This would include standard multiplayer and messaging."

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2010 01:08 #6623 by Lersar
Apparently Nintendo is thinking about doing the same thing on the Wii...

More
16 Jun 2010 01:10 #6624 by NitrosDragon
In this aspect, I really dislike where gaming is going.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
16 Jun 2010 01:17 #6625 by drpain
This whole gen has been ridiculous with macro and micro transactions, 60 dollar games, charged extra content, hardly any mod tools, dedicated servers seem to be going, crappy p2p multiplayer. If it keeps going this way we might see another gaming crash like in the 70s/80s.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
16 Jun 2010 01:27 #6628 by garfi3ld
Atleast they arn't charging to play the games. It looks like it will be a premium setup that also gives you access to a lot of games to play included in the price. Kindof like netflix

Wes

More
16 Jun 2010 12:02 #6642 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re:Sony introduces
garfi3ld wrote:

Atleast they arn't charging to play the games. It looks like it will be a premium setup that also gives you access to a lot of games to play included in the price. Kindof like netflix

This is true but it seems like a cop out just to get things and I'm sure they are going to do what Live does and withhold content to the free users for a week or so and let the premium users get it.

Now I did hear they are offering the PS1 games for free I believe if you pay the premium subscription which is kind of cool but I own most of the hard copies they have for download.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

More
16 Jun 2010 18:04 #6645 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Sony introduces
drpain wrote:

Now I did hear they are offering the PS1 games for free I believe if you pay the premium subscription which is kind of cool but I own most of the hard copies they have for download.

Did they finally clear that up? For a while they phrased it ever so cleverly that it was open to interpretation whether it would be free to play PS1 classics, or if they were simply still available for purchase.

More
16 Jun 2010 18:39 - 16 Jun 2010 18:46 #6652 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re:Sony introduces
Lersar wrote:

drpain wrote:

Did they finally clear that up? For a while they phrased it ever so cleverly that it was open to interpretation whether it would be free to play PS1 classics, or if they were simply still available for purchase.

I'm not totally sure if its going to happen but the discussion is back on whether it should or not. I think it should happen so it gives a larger incentive to people to upgrade their service to the premium.

EDIT:
Well going to Gamespot.com they have a nice thread going with the break down on what is being include and people are saying that PS+ members do have access to the PS1 archives and even certain PSN exclusive games.

Thread information is here

Last edit: 16 Jun 2010 18:46 by drpain.

More
16 Jun 2010 18:43 #6653 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:Sony introduces
It's not like they're selling the games in brick & mortar stores anymore.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 2135 guests and no members online

supportus