TF2 Community

More
11 Jun 2010 14:17 #6521 by drpain
TF2 Community was created by drpain
Anyone been to the STEAM forums yet since it was released on OSX? Man it is some serious business over there regarding OSX players. I guess Valve decided to add in white iPod earbuds for OSX players and PC players are starting to vote ban these people for just hating on OSX and not being able to get the earbuds. This seems pretty petty and childish in my eyes whether you are a OSX hater or not it just makes the community look almost like Xbox Live and that is not a good thing at all.

Supposedly there are even server admins going through logs that display your hardware and OS information and just banning people on the spot which is just insane.

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302343 (OSX thread)

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302327 (Windows thread)

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2010 14:28 #6523 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:TF2 Community
wow

More
11 Jun 2010 17:16 #6528 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:TF2 Community
This is fucking ridiculous.

More
11 Jun 2010 17:19 #6530 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:TF2 Community
It's been a while for me, but how do they keep the heavy's gun spinning or detonate sticky bombs with out having a right click button on their mouse :P
Last time i played with a MAC/Apple, it only had one big mouse button...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
11 Jun 2010 17:25 #6531 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Re:TF2 Community
Seems a little racist to me. Not literally of course but discrimination is discrimination no matter how you slice it.

Can't we all just wage war in peace?

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
11 Jun 2010 17:30 #6533 by Dreyvas
Twodavez wrote:

It's been a while for me, but how do they keep the heavy's gun spinning or detonate sticky bombs with out having a right click button on their mouse :P

You bring up a good point. How DOES this work? :laugh:

More
11 Jun 2010 17:35 #6536 by Twodavez
Tim wrote:

Seems a little racist to me. Not literally of course but discrimination is discrimination no matter how you slice it.

Or if your going to be like that, just stick all the OSX users on the same team and battle it ous civilly. :evil:
Maybe they just assumes that in this stage of rolling out the game, those people using OSX are new to the game and would bring down their team... Everyone knows how much fun it is to play with a bunch of Noobs on their team and now that they've opened up a large gateway to the game, the noob population is going to spike until they get seasoned.
I can't wait to see what steam does about this as i'm sure it's not what they intended when they released their new client. Maybe they'll disable being able to tell what OS is being run...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
11 Jun 2010 18:21 - 11 Jun 2010 19:30 #6539 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote: Maybe they'll disable being able to tell what OS is being run...

I think the main problem was people wearing the in-game earbuds that unlock when you play on Mac, so that was the big tipoff.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2010 19:30 by Dreyvas.

More
11 Jun 2010 19:02 #6540 by Twodavez
Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote: Maybe they'll disable being able to tell what OS is being run...

I think the main problem was people wearing the in-game earbuds that unlock when you play on Mac, so that was the big tipoff.[/quote]

Ah, when i read that, i thought that steam was sending an actual pair of earbuds to people who purchased the game... Well that doesn't seem fair, especially in a game that works off of items and how people were willing to cheat to catch them all. Like Pokemon, people want to opportunity to get everything, even if it's just a 1% change.
Maybe if they made the earbuds a random drop for PC players, it would lessen the anger. It's like getting mad a those people with Bill's hat because they also play LFD2 or whatever you had to pre-purchase to get the hat...

More
11 Jun 2010 21:25 #6544 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re:TF2 Community
I think it's great that the Mac players are getting earbuds. It makes it easier for me to decide who to kill first.

More
12 Jun 2010 00:02 #6545 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:TF2 Community
Nacelle wrote:

I think it's great that the Mac players are getting earbuds. It makes it easier for me to decide who to kill first.

Lersar likes this.

More
12 Jun 2010 02:55 #6551 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:TF2 Community
Its BS if people are really banning Apple users. The funny thing is a lot of those players are PC users also, just trying it out on their Apples

Wes

More
12 Jun 2010 20:53 #6562 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:TF2 Community
Tim wrote:

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
13 Jun 2010 20:31 #6572 by Oh4sh0
Replied by Oh4sh0 on topic Re:TF2 Community
Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote:

Mac's have been able to double click for.. ~8-10 years.

More
13 Jun 2010 20:42 #6573 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Re:TF2 Community
I guess earbuds are the new kick me sign in TF2. At least people will now leave my halo wearin' ass alone.

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
14 Jun 2010 01:01 #6575 by Dreyvas
Oh4sh0 wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote:

Mac's have been able to double click for.. ~8-10 years.

You mean right-click?

More
14 Jun 2010 02:11 #6576 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:TF2 Community
every mac mouse since osx atleast has right click capabilities as far as i know..

DRpain will chime in and have details..

More
14 Jun 2010 12:11 #6578 by Twodavez
technobear wrote:

every mac mouse since osx atleast has right click capabilities as far as i know..

DRpain will chime in and have details..

I assumed that they've added the right click ability... It's just been over 10 years since i've really been around a MAC and thought it would be funn to bring up the fact that you couldn't right click.

Anyone know if Steam/Valve is or has addressed the prejudice on the servers? I know they can't really force people to allow others to play on servers that they rent/pay money to put up, but i'm sure they could reward servers who don't discriminate based on OS :ohmy:

More
14 Jun 2010 14:38 #6580 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re:TF2 Community
Right click has been around on Mac for a loooooooooong time, you can actually enable it in system preferences and still use the Apple mouse because it has a 2nd button just not turned on. Apple doesn't really care about it's more advance power users so you end up having to tweak it your way.

As far as the server issues are going on with TF2, hard telling what Valve will do, I guess they could release an update to the server side client that would hide or disable operating system lookup but I have a feeling they are going to stay out of this one and let the community do its thing.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
14 Jun 2010 20:28 #6586 by Dreyvas
Yeah. I don't really see them interfering.

We have 2526 guests and no members online

supportus