STEAM going live on OSX May 12th

More
11 May 2010 17:18 #5693 by drpain
That's right, the long awaited STEAM client is finally launching on the Mac platform, so far Valve has announced that two games are going to be available which are Portal and Torchlight which will showcase their Steam Play feature which allows people who have already bought certain cross operating titles will be able to download and play on OSX.

store.steampowered.com/news/3808/

Now I'm not sure if only Torchlight and Portal are going to be available at first and then more are coming in the next few weeks or months but if that is the case that seems pretty week since:

1. I don't own any of those titles and;

2. Really? Only 2 titles come on Valve you should have known better then that at least put Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2010 17:35 #5697 by Lersar
Yeah, definitely Half-Life and TF2; those are arguably Vavle's largest titles. Portal I can see, but despite Torchlight's following, it still seems like an odd choice.

More
11 May 2010 17:42 #5698 by technobear
Lersar wrote:

Portal I can see, but despite Torchlight's following, it still seems like an odd choice.

commenting that torchlights follwers are odd? ;) lol

More
11 May 2010 18:51 #5710 by Lersar
technobear wrote:

Lersar wrote:

Portal I can see, but despite Torchlight's following, it still seems like an odd choice.

lol, no nothing like that. Just that it doesn't appeal to the majority of Vavle's demographic like TF2 and HL has.

More
12 May 2010 12:26 #5758 by drpain
Well they just updated their page saying new titles will be added to the Mac every Wednesday but for now it seems like it is only those two.

Now since games that are worth playing are actually coming out on the Mac maybe this will give Nvidia a kick to the ass to actually make decent drivers and not half-baked OpenGL drivers.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

More
12 May 2010 15:30 - 12 May 2010 15:31 #5771 by drpain
Here is a nice list that they have states are coming to OSX

Counter-Strike Source
Half-Life Series
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Madballs Babo: Invasion
Killing Floor
Red Orchestra
Torchlight

Not to shabby to get Mac gamers started and it is atleast good to see these games confirmed so far CS:S, Half-Life and TF2 along with the L4D series.

Last edit: 12 May 2010 15:31 by drpain.

More
12 May 2010 15:33 #5772 by Lersar
That's more of what I expected. Nice to see Killing Floor on their as well.

More
12 May 2010 18:59 #5783 by drpain
Here is the link if anybody cares, currently have it on my Macbook Pro and the servers are being swamped. Supposedly Portal is going to be offered for free during the "beta" but I'm unable to actually get it to download just seems to time out. Also note that for some reason TF2 is not on my list of games even though majority are there.

store.steampowered.com/public/client/steam.dmg

More
13 May 2010 21:33 #5828 by vialdragon
Lersar wrote:

technobear wrote:

Lersar wrote:

lol, no nothing like that. Just that it doesn't appeal to the majority of Vavle's demographic like TF2 and HL has.

demographic my ass u tourchlight ppl are odd! :laugh:

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

More
13 May 2010 21:42 - 13 May 2010 21:43 #5830 by Lersar
vialdragon wrote:

Lersar wrote:

technobear wrote:

Lersar wrote:

demographic my ass u tourchlight ppl are odd! :laugh:

Please address all comments to:

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

;)
Last edit: 13 May 2010 21:43 by Lersar.

More
14 May 2010 17:10 #5846 by Oh4sh0
TF2 (and HL2) aren't supported yet(?).

Gotta start somewhere.

More
14 May 2010 17:35 #5847 by technobear
drpain and i were talkin about this.. we get the impression the portal thing is a kind of test run.

More
14 May 2010 18:57 #5849 by Twodavez
Oh4sh0 wrote:

TF2 (and HL2) aren't supported yet(?).

Gotta start somewhere.

Is the typical MAC person into FPS type games? I see them more of the Portal type, figuring out puzzles, mixing music & video, and making high graphic pics. If you were really into TF2, i'm sure you would've purchase a PC by now and you're already playing it.
There's my sterotype for the day :P

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 May 2010 18:59 #5850 by technobear
problem is that gamers have been pretty much forced into the PC market..
mac simply hasnt had that many developers investing in the platform.

i think that steam making this move will go a long way to bringing mac to the forefront in gaming..

More
14 May 2010 19:02 #5853 by Twodavez
technobear wrote:

problem is that gamers have been pretty much forced into the PC market..
mac simply hasnt had that many developers investing in the platform.

i think that steam making this move will go a long way to bringing mac to the forefront in gaming..

I agree with this point. And i figure if you have the big bucks to buy a MAC, more than likely it's for a certian task such as music, video, art, or whatever else MAC's are good for and then you also have a PC to play your games if your into them. Or your a consol gamers, and then that's a whole other conversation :silly:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 May 2010 19:09 #5854 by technobear
*shrug* well
for a college student there are more and more campuses that are either requiring macs or are giving them away, or are giving good discounts..

and if youre willing to drop any amount of money in a machine ( different case) you could as easily drop $4000 in a mac as you could a custom built PC..

i just think that this situation is going to open macs up more ...

More
14 May 2010 21:17 #5861 by Dreyvas
I'm just looking forward to Steam for Linux, personally.

More
14 May 2010 22:01 #5863 by technobear
from the way it sounds... very very very soon..

steam for linux may get me to switch..

More
14 May 2010 22:39 #5864 by Dreyvas
I already dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. If Steam comes to Linux, I may spend most of my time in Ubuntu, I really love it.

More
14 May 2010 22:44 #5865 by technobear
i delved into linux alot a couple years ago. but gaming kept me in windows..

now...

not so much..

we shall see..

More
10 Jun 2010 12:25 #6493 by Oh4sh0
'Big things are happening RIGHT NOW at Valve. Things involving cultivated tree-fruit. BIG things. Things that rhyme with "grapple." Things that rhyme with "Speem Gortress zmavailable on the Babac."

Not today. But tomorrow. BIG THINGS. Stay tuned...'

More
10 Jun 2010 16:23 #6500 by garfi3ld
TF2 on Mac, I love Valve

Wes

We have 2088 guests and no members online

supportus