Video of new Steam Client for Mac

More
22 Apr 2010 20:08 #4360 by technobear
Windows compatible Gaming is one area that has kept the Mac from being usable by we gamers.

A few weeks ago Steam put out for users to request to be part of the Mac Beta.

Well.. here is an article and a video! WOOT! this is GOOD news!

www.joystiq.com/2010/04/21/steam-on-mac-...ke-steam-on-windows/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2010 05:38 #4746 by technobear
Here are some more articles on this:
www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/

www.tuaw.com/2010/03/27/valve-calls-for-...or-mac-beta-testers/
(all of us gamers in my section at work have put in for this. none of us have been invited)

Im very excited about this! Bringing Steam to Mac will open up one of the highest quality Hardware and OS manufacturers to the gaming community. In my professional opinion Apple produces the best CONSUMER computer on the market. Disclaimer: our custom machines ARE NOT CONSUMER CLASS MACHINES!

*waits to get attacked for this LMAO*

More
26 Apr 2010 17:28 #4879 by NitrosDragon
Double post! :ohmy:

Now that that's out of the way... ;)
I'm pretty excited. Gaming is the only reason I use Windows, honestly.
I am a big Linux fan.
Mac fan? Not so much.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
26 Apr 2010 17:30 #4881 by technobear
ya i thought of that after i posted it.. but by then it was too late..

Im really stoked about this i just wanted to get the info out there.

If the admins want to merge those and dock me pts thats cool..

More
26 Apr 2010 17:58 #4894 by NitrosDragon
Honestly, I don't think anyone is going to care. I just felt like razzing you for it. :P

My cousin in San Fran is a Linux man, and I told him about this. His only Windows machine is his home theater, and he's not exactly happy about that. I'll make sure he gets this on his Ubuntu machine.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
26 Apr 2010 18:00 #4897 by technobear
i dont mind linux and am quite fond of my work issued mac.. but not being able to really game ( yes i know that you can get alot of cool games for linux) holds me back from switching 100%

More
26 Apr 2010 18:05 #4902 by NitrosDragon
technobear wrote:

i dont mind linux and am quite fond of my work issued mac.. but not being able to really game ( yes i know that you can get alot of cool games for linux) holds me back from switching 100%

I wouldn't say 100% for me, but it's definitely my top reason. I think it's about time I learn a programming language and get into Fedora!

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
30 Apr 2010 12:20 #5122 by technobear
Seems theyre serious about this

gizmodo.com/5527721/valve-swears-that-st...-is-coming-on-may-12

Mac client coming may 12

More
30 Apr 2010 12:50 #5123 by Reaper
NitrosDragon wrote:

My cousin in San Fran is a Linux man, and I told him about this. His only Windows machine is his home theater, and he's not exactly happy about that. I'll make sure he gets this on his Ubuntu machine.

He probably already knows about this but have him try LinuxMCE or Mythbuntu out...

Mythbuntu is an all-in-one Ubuntu catered to running MythTV - a Linux HTPC solution. We don't watch a lot of TV in my home, but our downstairs "big" TV is hooked to a Mythbuntu "server" that has two HD broadcast capture cards. The OS can then act as a DVR. You can also integrate Boxee so you can watch live streams like Hulu/etc. Mythbuntu will act like a UPNP server, as well, so can stream recorded video / music / etc to things like an XBox360. The only thing I haven't got to work on there yet is streaming off of Netflix but I'm very sure it's doable. Additionally the Mythbuntu "server" can power several Mythbuntu frontends that boot from CD. I have an old, crappy laptop where the display hinges are broke that we use as a frontend sometimes to the TV in our bedroom. Mythbuntu has been 100% stable for me for roughly a year.

LinuxMCE is (IMO) for rich Linux enthusiasts. It does all the things MythTV does and more. You can integrate home lighting, security, and your phone system into the OS. There are complex features like "follow me" where you have a remote and press one button, and as you walk throughout your house, it will send the media stream to the room you are in (if you can't be bothered to just pause the stream for a few minutes).

All that said, I've seen the Windows Media Center solution in Windows 7. It's nice, probably even has a "fresher" interface than the stock Mythbuntu interface, but I don't see any big advantages of it for people that are mildly familiar with Linux.

More
30 Apr 2010 12:57 #5124 by Reaper
NitrosDragon wrote:

I wouldn't say 100% for me, but it's definitely my top reason. I think it's about time I learn a programming language and get into Fedora!

If you're looking to do just hobbyist stuff, Fedora is great (and so is Ubuntu), otherwise I really recommend CentOS. It's the exact same thing as RedHat Enterprise Linux without the need to pay for a subscription to updates. It's more lean, "secure", and catered to programmers, but you'll find it doesn't come out of the box with all the cool tools that "Windows replacement" Linux brands have.

More
01 May 2010 01:44 #5188 by NitrosDragon
Reaper wrote:

If you're looking to do just hobbyist stuff, Fedora is great (and so is Ubuntu), otherwise I really recommend CentOS. It's the exact same thing as RedHat Enterprise Linux without the need to pay for a subscription to updates. It's more lean, "secure", and catered to programmers, but you'll find it doesn't come out of the box with all the cool tools that "Windows replacement" Linux brands have.

Very aware, CentOS is what I run on my server in San Fran.
Thanks, though. Nice to see some Linux geeks budding up around here.

Now...

sudo make me a sandwich

:woohoo:

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

We have 1333 guests and no members online

supportus