League of Legends

More
15 Apr 2010 16:40 - 15 Apr 2010 16:43 #3816 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re:League of Legends
Fair for all who know where the secret shop is. Ok, I'm done now . I'll play what ever is being played. I thought if I pointed out the differences, I might change a few minds.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 16:43 by Nacelle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2010 20:11 - 15 Apr 2010 20:19 #3821 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

So we should NEVER move on to the newest version? With that way of thinking, the games we should be playing at the lan are; Call of Duty 1, Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield 1942, Left 4 Dead 1, and Starcraft 1 when 2 comes out. I can even understand moving to HoN, though I don't like it as much. But sticking with DotA just doesn't make sense.

Ha ha, we did get some BF 1942 played at Nexus LAN a few weeks ago, it was good times! :-)
And if someone has a working copy of Team Fortress Classic, i think it would make a FANTASTIC old school tourney!
also based upon the fact that one of the tourneys is Flat Out 2, maybe it's an opposite LAN and the regular Tourneys are going to be older games and the old school tourney will be MW2 or BC2 or something else that's brand new :unsure:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
Last edit: 15 Apr 2010 20:19 by Twodavez.

More
15 Apr 2010 20:54 #3832 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic Re:League of Legends
It's Pong time, all in favor say "I".

More
16 Apr 2010 02:40 #3845 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re:League of Legends
I have a copy of TF classic, on steam AND original disc if that works better for lan. Never played it myself.

Anyway, the thing is, we can play both (or all, if you throw in HoN), I thought we were just discussing options for playing, perhaps in the tournament. Every game is built different, and will suit to different players. If it can be set up so that everyone playing LoL in a tournament was on an even level, I would personally vote for that. I have the game, but I have not had time prior to the lan to play and built up in the game.
I think that was kind of the point, in trying to find what would be easiest for players to start playing. This is a major LAN, and for some people (myself included), it's where most if not all of their multiplayer gaming is done. Some of us do not have the time to play a game online for hours prior to a LAN. I'd say some of us don't have time to play much gaming at all! Kids, work, school, ... it keeps us from gaming sometimes, and so we may not know all the ins and outs of a game, or have played it at all prior to a lan. So everyone has the possibility of being a noob to these games. Thus, making a game that everyone can play is a good thing.
Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play. Understandable. However, I'd say the first Trackmania tournament, and the Tetris tournament, would have been much less lively if everyone that thought themselves as 'less than pro' at the game did not participate. This is not a pro-gamer, elite LAN. This is for fun and the occasional prize. Having a game that doesn't take a lot of practice to just catch the basics tends to go over well (look at all the FPS games and tourneys we've had, no offense to FPS fanatics), and it sounds like LoL is more about simply playing and less about learning controls and interface. Both may be good in their own respects, but the discussion here would seem to be 'ease of getting into the game'.

tl;dr? In short: calm down, don't fight, it's all in the name of fun. Compromise: dodgeball? B)

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 Apr 2010 05:14 #3854 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:League of Legends
Nacelle wrote:

So we should NEVER move on to the newest version? With that way of thinking, the games we should be playing at the lan are; Call of Duty 1, Team Fortress Classic, Battlefield 1942, Left 4 Dead 1, and Starcraft 1 when 2 comes out. I can even understand moving to HoN, though I don't like it as much. But sticking with DotA just doesn't make sense.

have you picked up mw2 yet?

:-P

Anyhow the real point is that we posted looking for our tournament suggestions and noone brought it up. It wasn't until after the games were selected that LoL was brought up. It may be the perfect game for a tournament next time around. We get this every LAN, at some point we have to draw a line and select the tournaments and stick with them. That is why getting the feedback right after the LAN and during planning is so important.

Wes

More
16 Apr 2010 11:13 #3855 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re:League of Legends
As far a MW2 goes, it's not that I don't want to play it. I just don't want to pay for 3 copies of a game that we only play at a lan. It's not so bad with games like CoD4 and Demigod, we all can use the same copy. I did spring for 3 copies of BFBC2, but I can't do that with all the games.

In LoL, there are 2 pages in your character setup where you apply the bonus' you get for playing previous games. On each page there's a button that clears the page, returning all your points back to the pool. Just require everyone do that and no one will have an advantage.

Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play.

I want every person to be able to play. If the guy setting next to me has never played and I have to tell him how, let's play the one that requires 5 instructions not 20. I was not necessarily pushing to get this tournament changed. I was trying get everyone to understand that there's a better alternative. I didn't see anyone pushing for change to the new game. So I took up the cause.

More
16 Apr 2010 15:26 #3860 by Leonresevil2
Nacelle wrote:

In LoL, there are 2 pages in your character setup where you apply the bonus' you get for playing previous games. On each page there's a button that clears the page, returning all your points back to the pool. Just require everyone do that and no one will have an advantage.

Now, I know you will probably say that, since it's a tournament, not every noob should be jumping in to play.

I want every person to be able to play. If the guy setting next to me has never played and I have to tell him how, let's play the one that requires 5 instructions not 20. I was not necessarily pushing to get this tournament changed. I was trying get everyone to understand that there's a better alternative. I didn't see anyone pushing for change to the new game. So I took up the cause.

It sounds like clearing the page would work well, sounds easy too. Just the trick of enforcing it is all. And I agree, LoL sounds like a better alternative, and it will probably be taken into account for later lans. To clarify, in "I know you will probably say", 'you' meant 'someone'; it's just an informal recognition of the argument, not a criticism of anyone particular. Nacelle, I do vote with you for LoL. However, this is now the equivalent of voting for Hillary Clinton to run for President (simply analogy, no politic flame-wars please); it's 'post-primaries' for the Lan, or post-election in a way. The informal votes should be kept in mind for future lans, but there's no restructuring and changing the lan this late in the game. Not that votes don't count, but they don't make immediate effect in this case.

I too want everyone (interested) to play. So we should play LoL sometime, but it won't be a formal tournament for sure.

In other news, I SOOO wanted to play Demigod, but my laptop sucks. :( :( :(

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
17 Apr 2010 18:55 #3901 by Leonresevil2
Tried the DotA in WC3, it is quite a lot to take in all at once for someone. I've played RTS, WC3, and games like DotA a little bit before, but I'm just not feeling it for DotA. At least I was the 11th person signed up, so me dropping out balanced out for even teams in one game.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 07:14 #3936 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:League of Legends
Leonresevil2 wrote:In other news, I SOOO wanted to play Demigod, but my laptop sucks. :( :( :([/quote]

I definitely feel you, bro. Trying to play UT/Counter-Strike on my lappy made me want to break something. :(

More
19 Apr 2010 16:20 #3961 by Leonresevil2
A bit off-topic, but I've read that Google predicts desktop PCs will be obsolete in 3 years. Guess we'll be playing MW3 on our Nexus Two's. lol

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:13 #3973 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:League of Legends
Leonresevil2 wrote:

A bit off-topic, but I've read that Google predicts desktop PCs will be obsolete in 3 years. Guess we'll be playing MW3 on our Nexus Two's. lol

How cool to think that technology will increase that much that we can put everything in Wingless's case inside something that'll fit on your lap. I wonder if this study simply looked at the % increase in Laptop sales compaired to Desktop PC's. Did they take into account the number of people who have desktops who built them because it was better than buying a premade? Plus how many of you guys/ladies have both a Desktop & Laptop...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
19 Apr 2010 17:50 #3987 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:League of Legends
yeah I don't think they include home built pc's in the numbers.

Wes

More
19 Apr 2010 17:55 #3989 by Leonresevil2
Twodavez wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote:

How cool to think that technology will increase that much that we can put everything in Wingless's case inside something that'll fit on your lap. I wonder if this study simply looked at the % increase in Laptop sales compaired to Desktop PC's. Did they take into account the number of people who have desktops who built them because it was better than buying a premade? Plus how many of you guys/ladies have both a Desktop & Laptop...

I can see it now, smash your phone for a Cooler Master one, or mod it into a full-sized computer!
Anyways, basically Google thinks that everyone uses computers mostly for the internet and word processing (Google search and Google Docs, so they have a bit of bias), so phones and netbooks will replace desktops for these features. Also, Google is releasing an online-only operating system for some netbooks, so they do anticipate running everything online from the cloud being the future of computers.
Admittedly, you CAN play games and such from the cloud via streaming services, but I think we are a ways away from that becoming the main thing, and LANs would be a pain in that situation. Google does want to provide and rule over computers, the internet, and thereby the world, so they could if we don't keep buying advanced computers.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 19:52 - 19 Apr 2010 19:53 #4003 by Dreyvas
Cloud gaming is already viable for certain genres, but we're definitely a long way from being able to do low-latency first-person shooters at high resolutions, which are what I predominantly play.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 19:53 by Dreyvas.

More
19 Apr 2010 20:11 #4007 by Leonresevil2
Dreyvas wrote:

Cloud gaming is already viable for certain genres, but we're definitely a long way from being able to do low-latency first-person shooters at high resolutions, which are what I predominantly play.

Agreed. But from what I've heard, Google doesn't even intend to have hard drive ports in the machines running the ChromeOS. Basically, instead of cloud-based games like we are starting to have more (Steam, LoL), things would be streaming and browser-based (Battlefield Heroes i think?). Thus, we would be paying for games that we do not own at all, but simply have access to when we are online, or so it sounds. At least with no hard drive, there shouldn't be any DRM installed...

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 21:38 - 19 Apr 2010 21:39 #4020 by Dreyvas
Actually, I'm talking about games that are purely cloud. As in, OnLive. All the processing is done server-side, it takes your input over the internet and streams the output back to you. There's no game installed locally, just the framework for the service.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 21:39 by Dreyvas.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:16 #4403 by Leonresevil2
Understood. OnLive, StreamMyGame, and there are probably some others. I personally do not want all gaming (and all computing for that matter) to be done in this method. It sounds like we are scaling back into the old days of terminals and servers that do calculations from remote demands. The hardware market would take a hit from that, and programs would be mostly pay-per-use or accounts. Admittedly, game development would be easier (not having to develop for all types of hardware and OSs), but it's just like cloud storage of personal data; I want to see it working steadily, securely, and FOR me, not just for my money.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1300 guests and no members online

supportus