Was TF2 Ruined when it went to F2P?

More
01 Jun 2012 21:01 #25408 by Twodavez
I thought this deserved it's own topic as i'm sure we'll have lots of opinions.

While i understand that STEAM needed to make more money from the game because everyone had already bought it, for me, going to the F2P and adding the pay for items piece ruined the game for me.

1. There are tooooo many weapons/items to keep track of them all for a casual player.
2. see #1 and remember that knowing one's enemy is just as important as knowing yourself in battle.

I don't think the act of going F2P ruined the game alone, but since that's a crazy business model considering they keep coming out with updates, maps, and story lines for the characters. I was more than willing to pay $4.99 a month to have good servers with no idiots, kick immunity, and whatever else came with most of the clans (No-Hero's comes to mind). I just wish Steam could've figured out a way to make money from the game this way, instead of the 3rd parties.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2012 22:09 - 01 Jun 2012 22:12 #25411 by Dreyvas
The argument of "there is too much content" just speaks volumes to the true amount of support Valve gives their games. This game has been out for 5 years and they're still releasing new content. What other non-MMO games can you say that about? If you don't like it, play on a server that restricts you to stock items. Simple.

As for the influx of crappy F2P players, well, it's not really avoidable. I don't see it stopping any of you from playing LoL. More cannon fodder, in my opinion. /shrug
Last edit: 01 Jun 2012 22:12 by Dreyvas.

More
01 Jun 2012 22:32 #25412 by garfi3ld
don't include me in on the LoL :-P

Wes

More
01 Jun 2012 22:35 #25413 by Lersar
lol does playing LoL make me a bad person?

More
01 Jun 2012 23:00 #25414 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote: The argument of "there is too much content" just speaks volumes to the true amount of support Valve gives their games. This game has been out for 5 years and they're still releasing new content. What other non-MMO games can you say that about? If you don't like it, play on a server that restricts you to stock items. Simple.

As for the influx of crappy F2P players, well, it's not really avoidable. I don't see it stopping any of you from playing LoL. More cannon fodder, in my opinion. /shrug

I just enjoyed the pure game with the few alternate items that complimented different game styles or player ability. And the influx is avoidable if you're on the right server that kicks non-performing people or people not trying.... And in LoL they are filtered out by level and the only way to get higher level is to play more. I'm not sure there aren't level 30's that aren't really good, but they at least understand the concept of the game...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
02 Jun 2012 07:52 #25417 by Davey_Boy

Dreyvas wrote: As for the influx of crappy F2P players, well, it's not really avoidable. I don't see it stopping any of you from playing LoL.

Since when was LoL a crappy F2P game? Last I checked they broke all records in e-sports for most watched/attended tourny ever.

More
02 Jun 2012 07:59 #25418 by garfi3ld
That's not what he said at all

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Wes

More
02 Jun 2012 08:02 #25420 by Dreyvas

Davey_Boy wrote:

Dreyvas wrote: As for the influx of crappy F2P players, well, it's not really avoidable. I don't see it stopping any of you from playing LoL.

Since when was LoL a crappy F2P game? Last I checked they broke all records in e-sports for most watched/attended tourny ever.

Quality of players =/= quality of game

More
02 Jun 2012 08:32 #25421 by Davey_Boy

Dreyvas wrote:

Davey_Boy wrote:

Well idk I feel like if there's a lot of people playing/watching a game it must be good, or else they'd be playing/watching another game. But that's just my opinion.

More
02 Jun 2012 08:46 #25424 by Dreyvas

Davey_Boy wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

Davey_Boy wrote:

Well idk I feel like if there's a lot of people playing/watching a game it must be good, or else they'd be playing/watching another game. But that's just my opinion.

...dude, I'm not saying LoL is a bad game. At all. =/= is "does not equal." :P I didn't say anything about the quality of the game itself, in fact. I'm saying when games go free-to-play it just opens the floodgates to tons of people that might not otherwise play (and might suck).

More
02 Jun 2012 08:54 #25426 by Davey_Boy

Dreyvas wrote:

Davey_Boy wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

Davey_Boy wrote:

...dude, I'm not saying LoL is a bad game. At all. =/= is "does not equal." :P I didn't say anything about the quality of the game itself, in fact. I'm saying when games go free-to-play it just opens the floodgates to tons of people that might not otherwise play (and might suck).

Well, I figured I was getting the wrong vibe but then said fuck it I'm gonna argue with Josh cause I can!! haha

More
02 Jun 2012 09:35 #25427 by Dreyvas

More
02 Jun 2012 09:41 - 02 Jun 2012 09:46 #25430 by Lersar
It was just funny how LoL was brought up and then it was like "PSH that game I don't play that game."

Remember gentlemen, anyone who doesn't want to go to war, is gay.

That's my second Family Guy reference in a post about free to play games. When should I expect my trophy?

...sorry, please continue. I'm interested in what everyone has to say, my TF2 habits have been quite unchanged, I still usually only play if friends are playing, and I still get owned no matter what I use. :)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2012 09:46 by Lersar.

More
02 Jun 2012 10:26 #25431 by garfi3ld
Attachments:

More
02 Jun 2012 19:33 #25432 by Lersar
Framed.

More
02 Jun 2012 21:14 #25433 by Davey_Boy
HAHAHAHAHA

More
04 Jun 2012 18:19 #25453 by drpain
I personally never really enjoyed Team Fortess 2 much like I did with the one for Quake and then later for Half-Life. I don't know there just seems to be something about the second one that just doesn't provide me the same levels of enjoyment as the originals. The hat crap and all that I don't really care about so maybe I'm just indifferent on the subject haha.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
04 Jun 2012 18:36 - 04 Jun 2012 18:39 #25455 by jj_Sky5000
I dont mind any of the upgrades to the game. Probley kept it alive,New games come out that we enjoy to play more. 5 years from now people will still be playing it, just like we still play Cs:s right now, I dog cs:s but i still play it. playing tf2 i still get excited when i go on a god like sniping rampage, My best class is teh heavy , but my best skill is by far teh sniper.

as far as lol, it was smart marketing to go to free to play, because i doubt 50% of the players would have ever bought it. and teh low graphics requirments any body with a onboard gpu can virtually play it.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2012 18:39 by jj_Sky5000.

More
04 Jun 2012 23:40 #25459 by Lersar

jj_Sky5000 wrote: and teh low graphics requirments any body with a onboard gpu can virtually play it.

I don't know about that. I have a friend that put up with playing at like 18fps with onboard. Recommended video card is a discrete GeForce 8800.

I do agree, I would be really interested to see what their player retention is like.

More
05 Jun 2012 00:26 #25462 by jj_Sky5000
Just be around at all the lan parties you see alot of low specs lap top playing the games. The same is can be said about diablo III the game can reach more to teh masses and will apeal to more people

lol Minimum System Requirements
•2 GHz processor
•1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more) <<<<LOL
•2 GB available hard disk space
•Shader version 2.0 capable video card
•Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
•Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (Mac OS and Linux are currently not supported)
yea pretty low ,

More
05 Jun 2012 02:12 #25469 by Lersar

jj_Sky5000 wrote: Just be around at all the lan parties you see alot of low specs lap top playing the games. The same is can be said about diablo III the game can reach more to teh masses and will apeal to more people

True that, he had gotten really good at compensating for it.

More
05 Jun 2012 23:32 #25492 by Wingless92
Not at all, got more people playing and that's a good thing. Just glad that you can still find vanilla servers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

We have 2074 guests and no members online

supportus