New watercooled config

More
23 Feb 2014 00:08 - 23 Feb 2014 00:09 #34154 by evildoer
I was showing some stuff on facebook, Wes said I should post it here.. so i am!

My STARTING config:
Asus P9X79 Pro
Intel 3960x Corsair H60 cooled
Nvidia 3GB GTX 780 Reference (PNY)
Samsung 840Pro 240GB SSD
Seagate 3TB 7200RPM HDD
16GB 1866 Crucial Memory (2x8GB)
Corsair C70 Case
4x Delta 120MM 250CFM Fans (2A each.. crazy crazy loud)
Heavy duty Lamptron fan controller capable of 2A per fan connector.

My FINAL config:
Asus P9X79 Pro
Intel 3960x Liquid Cooled (Arctic Silver 5)
Nvidia 3GB GTX 780 Liquid Cooled (Tim something cooler.. came with the Swiftech cooler)
Samsung 840Pro 240GB SSD
Seagate 3TB 7200RPM HDD
16GB 1866 Crucial Memory (2x8GB)
Coolermaster Storm Stryker
And other parts as described below

Why?

I didn't really want to move to liquid cooling, I just got tired of the thermal problems. I don't think it was the GPU and or CPU individually that caused the issues I was having.. they were both within TDP. The problem I believe is that in X79 the northbridge is known to get really friggin hot. The ambient temperatures created with the CPU and GTX 780 inside of the case likely overheated the north bridge to the point where the system would fail.

When I used my Lamptron fan controller and the 4x Delta Fans (2x intake top, 2x exhause side) it would control the heat and prevent issues. The problem is these fans are REALLY loud. I'll have the whole set for sale at LANOC. As well as my White Corsair C70.

I moved to liquid cooling not for productivity purposes. At this point I'm still not used to how QUIET it is. The thermals of moving to my liquid cooling solution impacted the system GREATLY.

Real quick results (without my fan controller)
At 100% load across all 6 cores of my Intel 3690x, the CPU would get to around 81-83C.
At 100% load on my GTX 780, the card would get to about 80C in about 15 seconds.

Liquid cooling results? Running the same tests and same loads..
It took an hour for my CPU to hit 50 degrees. After 8 hours of 100% load, the cores averaged 65C.

I've never seen my GPU above 48C yet, and I looped 3DMark for about an hour.

In the next post I'll explain what I purchased and my thought process logic, I'll proably start with some pictures there as well.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 00:09 by evildoer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2014 00:16 #34155 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic New watercooled config
This is my shopping list from FrozenCpu
  • Swiftech Komodo-NV GTX 780 Full Cover VGA Waterblock w/ Backplate (KOMODO-NV-GTX780)
  • G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings-Black ($17.90) (QTY 2)
  • Koolance CPU-380I Intel Liquid Cooling CPU Block - (No Fittings)
  • Select G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings-Black ($17.90) (QTY 2)
  • Black Ice GT Stealth 280 Radiator - Black
  • Select G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings-Black ($17.90) (QTY 2)
  • EK EKoolant Premium Liquid Cooling Premix Coolant - 1L - Clear
  • 3/8" ID - (1/2"OD) PVC Clear Tubing
  • BitFenix Spectre All Black 140mm Fan (BFF-SCF-14025KK-RP) (I ended up usin BitFenix Spectre white pros I ordered from Amazon)
  • Phobya DC12-260 12V Water Cooling Pump - (DC12-260)
  • Select G 1/4" Fittings (Qty. 2): 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings-Black ($17.90)
  • Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 Small Form Factor / High-Flow Reservoir (1/2" ID & 3/8" ID)
  • PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Elegant White

More
23 Feb 2014 00:25 #34156 by evildoer
Before I go to the build I'll go through my logic.

I moved to the CM Storm Stryker due to the additional space for radiators. It also has more cooling options and is more modular with components than the Corsair C70. So far the choice has worked out. I was able to do more with the Stryker than I would have been able to do had I stuck with the C70.

I picked 3/8" Tubing to allow for decent flow with capacity with maximum flexibility. All of my fittings are G 1/4" (The standard thread for liquid cooled components) with 3/8" ID (Inner Diamater" and 1/2" OD (Outer Diamater). The only exception is my reservoir which uses a compression fitting.

The pump I picked was well reviewed. I didn't like the look of some of the more "industrial" type pumps, and despite them being highly reviewed, all reviews I read show them to be kind of overkill for my loop.

More
23 Feb 2014 00:38 #34157 by evildoer
The Stuff

GPU with reference cooler off

GPU with water bock installed

I was annoyed with trying to get a screw in and couldn't find a magnetic screw driver. The fix? A small amount of electrical tape around the screw.

Board and radiator installed

CPU Block and GPU installed

Fittings, tubing, res (sits next to the PSU), and pump

More
23 Feb 2014 00:38 #34158 by evildoer
Everything is installed and running great, no leaks. I'll take some final pics sometime soonish, maybe at LANOC.

More
23 Feb 2014 00:59 #34159 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic New watercooled config
Looks great! I have been contemplating liquid cooling for myself. With tax time and all it seemed like a great time. After much deliberation I changed my mind. My rig runs good, and my urge for liquid cooling would be mainly cosmetic. I'm thinking now I'm going to buy a quality acoustic guitar. I had a great Martin DC-15E, and sold it when I was in dire straits years ago. I have regretted it ever since. On the other hand Looking at your build I have an itch to start a new case mod. I guess time will tell. Anyway awesome build, Can't wait to see it at the Lan.

I kill CPU's

More
23 Feb 2014 02:30 #34160 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic New watercooled config
very nice and clean build.

More
24 Feb 2014 14:58 #34170 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic New watercooled config
Tits!

More
28 Feb 2014 05:18 #34248 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic New watercooled config
I think the increased longevity you get from water-cooling is well worth the risk/price,

More
28 Feb 2014 05:25 #34250 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic New watercooled config
It looks great, im glad to hear you saw big improvements

Wes

More
01 Mar 2014 02:00 #34259 by SpeedBump
Replied by SpeedBump on topic New watercooled config
I likes white! +1

We have 1913 guests and no members online

supportus