Why console over PC?

More
28 Aug 2010 11:05 #8604 by garfi3ld
You guys want to know why game developers want to make games for the xbox 360 and ps3 over the PC? I think this picture explains it all

Developing for a large market that uses the same (save for hard drive size) hardware vs a market where the most popular video card only has 7% of the market. Not to mention the PC hardware market is ever evolving! Next year the most popular video card won't be the 4800 series.. But the Xbox will still be using the same hardware.

Wes
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2010 17:31 #8608 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Why console over PC?
It's partially the video card mfg's fault. Wish they would stop making so many overlapping SKU's.

More
28 Aug 2010 17:58 #8611 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Why console over PC?
I agree, its even worse when they just rebrand models too

Wes

More
28 Aug 2010 19:36 #8619 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Why console over PC?
That is pretty sad for Nvidia! The top cards are the old 8800's. Although nice showing of 260's. Also good showing for the 5000 ATI cards. I'm still looking for the 400's and don't see em. Hmmmmm. Look at all the Nvidia M products, freaking Mac's, lol.

More
28 Aug 2010 21:12 #8624 by NitrosDragon
I think if the competition and models of video cards was a bit more simplified and easier to understand for newcomers (hell, or even myself!), it might become more popular.

Deciding upon a video card is worse than buying a car IMHO.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
28 Aug 2010 22:20 #8629 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Why console over PC?

NitrosDragon wrote: Deciding upon a video card is worse than buying a car IMHO.

Yeah, at least with a car you've had a few and can talk to others about your choice. Plus there are commercials on TV that tell you about one Vs. the other, and you konw it's still going to drive on all the roads in another year, a Video card can't make the same promise to play all the games even a year later :(

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
30 Aug 2010 19:42 #8668 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Why console over PC?
what I have noticed on other forums is that the consolite crowd like them for the ease of use like being able to pop a disk in and go, but this generation the consoles are slowly turning into a very very restricted PC since they now have patching abilities, downloads, online features and even partial game installs.

Sooner or later I think the area is going to get so gray that they are just going to be prebuilt low end PC's with a custome GUI much like we all see on netbooks.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
30 Aug 2010 20:40 #8673 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Why console over PC?
Let's just hope consoles are more reliable in the future. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Xbox 360.

More
02 Sep 2010 01:34 #8762 by Kurzuul
Replied by Kurzuul on topic Re: Why console over PC?
Rest assured that when I finally complete my goals and enter the video game industry I shall stay faithful and true to my PC bretheren.

And amen (and amen).

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

We have 1806 guests and one member online

supportus