[Guide] External CMOS Reset Key Switch

More
23 Jul 2010 21:17 #7448 by Jolly-Swagman
Jolly Swagman's Mods

External CMOS Reset Key Switch

This Mod was performed on my CM-690 Case
NOTE - this mod pertains to a 2 pin clear CMOS jumper on some newer motherboards and other have 3 pin reset jumper

First obtain a Key switch, the one I am using for this Mod is a barrel type as shown in pic #1 # pic#2 below,

I have attached 2 wires 450mm in length soldered and shrink tubed to switch terminals and the other end has pin socket terminals to fit jumper pins.

Now find a suitable position for your switch, at the back of case see pic#3.
now seeing as I am going for the no drill hole in case method, I will be utilising the blank com port located just below the exhaust fan grill, see pic #4.

Now I have made a custom retainer for my switch using 3mm PVC material and drilled mounting hole for switch and mounting screws to coincide with the com port see pic #5

Now remove the Blank for com port (pic #4) and install mounting retainer to the inside of case and screw down.

Now pop wires from switch through the hole replace retaining nut on switch and tighten firmly and secure wiring. see pic #6

Now we will test the switch using your trusty multimeter before connecting to the motherboard, so as that we have the Switch in the OFF or Normally Open position. see pic #7 & pics # 8-9

( The Sanwa Multimeter that I am using I have had for the past 32 years got for my 16th birthday )

Now I have placed a RED DOT below Switch to show position when switched to Normally Closed to Clear CMOS the you would switch back to Normally Open and remove Key. See pic #10

Now we connect the switch leads to the the pins on the CLR CMOS jumper as indicated in pic #11 below.

And now we can put the case side on and hopefully when a need to reset the CMOS the case side wont have to be taken off just use of the CLR CMOS Key Switch as seen in pic #12 and swith to the RED DOT for a few seconds and the CMOS will be RESET.

And the finished Project Pic #13 #14

Hope this will be Useful to you as it has for me.

Jolly Swagman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2010 23:29 #7452 by Nacelle
How often does one need to clear the CMOS? Once I've got my overclock to where I want it, I never need to clear it again.

More
24 Jul 2010 15:58 #7468 by garfi3ld
If your pushing the overclock you may need to do it a lot while setting it up. But your right, after its set you rarely need it.

Still a very cool mod. Easyier than digging into your case each time. It would be really cool if it took two keys like a Nuke

Wes

More
24 Jul 2010 17:05 #7478 by Twodavez
garfi3ld wrote:

If your pushing the overclock you may need to do it a lot while setting it up. But your right, after its set you rarely need it.

Still a very cool mod. Easyier than digging into your case each time. It would be really cool if it took two keys like a Nuke

I know silverstone gave away some pretty cool looking ones the LAN OC last fall... they had a pretty serious looking red cover to the switch...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

We have 1352 guests and one member online

supportus