New LAN Rig build

More
14 Jul 2010 23:28 - 14 Jul 2010 23:44 #7162 by Wingless92
New LAN Rig build was created by Wingless92
So after swearing to myself that the home rig that I build would be the do it all rig, I need a LAN rig. The 800D is just to big of a case to be carrying around.

So here's the build list.
Case

Motherboard

CPU

RAM

GPU

PSU

HDD

SSD

CPU Cooler
I think that's about it. Gotta get some 120 fans and a 200mm fan for the side and i'll be set. Sure, I don't need the SSD but it's damn nice to have one. I don't think that I could stand not to have one anymore. platter drives are to damn slow, lol.

I'm just glad that I won't win the smash your case contest anymore :)
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 23:44 by Wingless92.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2010 23:32 #7163 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
no build list.. damn its going to be lite!

Wes

More
14 Jul 2010 23:47 #7164 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
Yea, sorry I hit enter when I was linking all the items :(

More
14 Jul 2010 23:59 #7166 by garfi3ld
Wingless92 wrote:

no, the only reason we didn't smash yours last time is because noone wanted to hurt themselves picking it up. Now we have no excuse!

You could go less on the PSU honestly, I am running a similar setup on a 250w right now.

Wes

More
15 Jul 2010 00:01 #7167 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
garfi3ld wrote:

Wingless92 wrote:

no, the only reason we didn't smash yours last time is because noone wanted to hurt themselves picking it up. Now we have no excuse!

idk, 12lbs of steel is still pretty intimidating :P

More
15 Jul 2010 02:05 #7170 by Wingless92
I was looking for another PSU but I want one that is Modular and I couldn't find a Corsair one that was cheaper.

More
24 Aug 2010 06:39 - 24 Aug 2010 06:43 #8424 by Wingless92
Well here we go. Got my stuff picked out so now all I have to do is order it and put it together before the LAN. Not sure if it will happen but i'm going to try. I kept on going back and forth with the cpu's and I just can't see getting an i5 or 800 i7. I am just happy that this stuff is cheaper than my home PC. Plus my g/f has been ragging on me to build a PC that she can use, so I guess I can see spending this kinda cash on a second PC. I will be happy with the form factor for sure. I want something small. I also looked at the Shuttles but its cheaper to build this one then it would be to get a Shuttle pre built. Regardless, I am really digging the case. Same way when I found the 800D.

Last edit: 24 Aug 2010 06:43 by Wingless92.

More
24 Aug 2010 08:20 #8426 by garfi3ld
You don't have to buy the shuttles pre built

Wes

More
24 Aug 2010 19:04 #8429 by Wingless92
True, but it would be hard to run 2 460s in it. Just looking at all the options still. In CPU's review they had a hard time getting a 470, 480 in one. Not saying that I would run that card but the 400 cards do run hotter than the 5000 series.

More
28 Sep 2010 02:44 #9763 by Wingless92
Got all my stuff ready to go on Newegg. Doing a Shuttle,i5,4gb RAM, 1TB Caviar Black, 80gb Intel SSD and Evga 450.

Going to pick up a new monitor, 2 more mousepads from Steelseries.

Also picking up new fans for the 800D cause of the SLI'ed 480's. Need some more airflow.

Needing some back up so a HP media smart server is also on the way. Picked up 3 2TB green drives for more STORAGE!!!! lol.

This is really not cheap. I don't want to say but I will take picks of all the stuff once I get it in. I have been looking for online back up but I would rather have it here at my house, that is why i'm doing it this way.

I will say this. Shipping? $38 for the regular shipping. Overnight? $551. So yea, not going to be cheap but the g/f is yelling about backing up her pc.

More
28 Sep 2010 03:13 #9764 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
A 450? I can't imagine you'll be happy with it. I figured you'd get at least a GTX460 1Gb.

More
28 Sep 2010 06:16 #9769 by Wingless92
The problem with the 460 is the PSU that it requires. The one in the Shuttle is 300w. Don't wanna push it so hard that something fails. Hell, i'll just turn down all the eye candy. The home rig is the main rig, the Shuttle is the LAN rig, small, quiet and power friendly.

More
28 Sep 2010 16:15 #9770 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
I think it would be interesting to see someone mount a PSU on top of the shuttle case to allow them the extra power they needed. It would just look like a mini shuttle on top of the regular one :lol:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
02 Oct 2010 19:49 #9892 by Wingless92
Woke up today and the money was in my bank account. Called bank to verify this and they said I was good to go. Order was placed at Newegg this morning. Grand total was alittle high but that's ok. Stuff is coming from CA, NJ and TN. I will be taking pics/vids when I get the stuff in. Hopefully i'll be home when the UPS driver drops all the stuff off.

More
06 Oct 2010 18:34 #10052 by Wingless92
Today is build day, waiting on UPS to drop all the stuff off. Took of early from work so I could get home in time. Also need to run into town and pick up my new EVO. I will be posting pic's as I take them. Should be a crazy amount of stuff today!

More
06 Oct 2010 18:41 #10053 by garfi3ld
new EVO? something wrong with your first?

Looking forward to seeing pics btw

Wes

More
06 Oct 2010 19:34 #10055 by Wingless92
Yea, it suffers from a "light leakage" problem that were prone with the first runs of the EVO's. The screen seperates from the bottom of the phone and light leaks out the bottom. Not a big issue but ever since I got the clear battery door I have not had a case on it and it gets really annoying at night when i'm reading the news in bed.

Got the camera ready for today. Should be some good pics incoming.

UPS guy is "Rolling in Hot"!

More
06 Oct 2010 21:07 #10058 by J_E_R_O_M_E
Replied by J_E_R_O_M_E on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
Sounds Good!! Looking forward to seeing the pics. Hopefully you'll be able to play later on on the new setup

"Where ever you go, there you are"

Battle.net: J_E_R_O_M_E
Steam: J_3_R_0_M_3

More
07 Oct 2010 21:17 #10098 by Wingless92
Well the LanBox is up and running. I don't have a long enough Cat6 cable so i'm using my phone, lol.

For some reason the HDD is not being seen. The DVD drive and SSD are fine, Windows see's them, but not the Caviar Black. Need to figure that one out.

But she's up and running. Got a bunch of updates to do and get all of my Steam games on here.

I'll take some pic's when i'm done.

More
07 Oct 2010 22:32 - 07 Oct 2010 22:44 #10102 by Wingless92
Well, here are the pics. Got the HDD figured out. Forgot that I had to partition it, lol, PWND.

I didn't put my 2 mousepads that I got and my headset. Just to lazy to throw them in the pic's. Hope y'all enjoy the new LanBox!
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 22:44 by Wingless92. Reason: Added Pic's

More
07 Oct 2010 23:10 #10104 by J_E_R_O_M_E
Replied by J_E_R_O_M_E on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
That's pretty sweet man!!

"Where ever you go, there you are"

Battle.net: J_E_R_O_M_E
Steam: J_3_R_0_M_3

More
07 Oct 2010 23:55 #10105 by garfi3ld
i see two 480's in a picture, but they aren't in the shuttle what the hell

Wes

More
08 Oct 2010 00:13 #10106 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
I'm thinking more and more about getting a shuttle...for all the times I go to my friends houses and bring my desktop...not mention the time I broke the door to mine cause of it hitting the door on my way out lol that made me decide to get one...now I gotta get some money's...hmm...:evil:

More
08 Oct 2010 01:51 #10110 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
Very nice!

More
08 Oct 2010 08:38 #10119 by Wingless92
Thanks for all the kind words y'all. It wasn't that hard but I did run into a couple of "Snags", nothing major but it did cause some confusion.

On the other hand the home Rig is just crazy. Can't seem to keep the thing running. She will shut off randomly, no BSOD's, just "POW" shutdown. Also has some problems with "Freezing" in Windows but that symptom has gone away. I am using the 258 drivers for the home rig and the 260 drivers for the LANBox.

Guess I have more trouble shooting to do.

Still waiting on my other DVI cable then it's SLi Surround gaming.

More
08 Oct 2010 21:58 #10147 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
Wing,

I had the sudden shutdown thing hit me about 1.5 years ago. It turned out to be a PSU that was going bad (like a 8 month old 850W one). My buddy just went through the same thing. Try switching it out see if it helps... (If you don't have a spare I'm sure you have a friend that has one you can barrow ;) )

CBB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingless92

More
09 Oct 2010 04:48 #10170 by Wingless92
Hey bob, gonna RMA my HX1000. I am really thinking this is the problem. I have no BSOD's. I even plugged it into the wall, nothing on the other plug, just the PC.

I have noticed now that when it shuts down it will not come back on. I was messing around with it tonight and saw that when I would reboot it it would say that the overclock had failed. So all default values were set and it still does it.

Let the RMA process begin!

If it's the Motherboard i'll be pissed. I don't wanna spend anymore moneys for awhile.

Between the upgrades for the home rig
Building the LanBox
Building the Server and finally figuring out that I need Seagate drives, which I picked up today, I would like to be done for awhile.

More
10 Oct 2010 01:04 #10178 by Wingless92
Well the Main Rig is up and running. I bought a new PSU and a new Mobo. Seems to be working out fine.

More
10 Oct 2010 02:21 - 10 Oct 2010 02:22 #10181 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: New LAN Rig build
Edit: Never mind
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 02:22 by Dreyvas. Reason: Didn't read thread, lollll

More
10 Oct 2010 03:43 #10184 by Wingless92
Well I gave you guys the low down on the LanBox but not on the MainBox.

Got the 2 480's in from EVGA. Using the EVGA Precision tool to watch the temps,fans and overclocks.

I also installed 4 120mm AeroCool Shark fans. I can already see a big improvement in airflow already. I also installed 2 140mm Shark fans. One of them pulls cool air in from under the case through a filter. This is the main air source for the cooling. I wanted to upgrade this fan because the stock one was barely moving enough air. The second fan is for the HDD's. This isn't as much of a big deal but cooler drives are happier drives.

These 480's get HOT!!!!! I was running them with the stock fans and man, talk about airflow. The fan's kick up to about 92% duty cycle and yes, you can hear them, lol. I just got the 2 140mm fans installed so I have a big more testing to do.

Overall i'm really happy with it. I love the setup of the Nvidia Surround. Much easier and way more refined then ATI's version. Not to mention that when gaming at 5760x1080 you need alot of card to push the graphics that high.

Yes, the MOBO will support 3 480's but I am not seeing a need for it. Maybe down the road i'll at a card just for PyhsX but not sure yet.

Like I said these 480 will melt some shit, lol.

Gotta take some pics of it.

Yes it does have the "GO BUTTON" on the MOBO.

We have 1712 guests and one member online

supportus