Ubuntu 10.04

More
26 May 2010 00:36 #6188 by Nacelle
Ubuntu 10.04 was created by Nacelle
Has anyone tried the latest version of Ubuntu. I installed it on a laptop for a co-worker. It is awesome. I might consider using it as my primary system and booting into windows to play games. I know it's fluff, but if you turn up the graphical effects, it does this cool rubberband effect to the windows. One thing that impressed me was how easy it was to play a video with codecs that windows would just say FU to. Ubuntu figured out what was needed and downloaded it. Within a minute I was watching a high def mkv without any effort on my part. I'm sure with a little more time, I'll find more cool features that I won't be able to live without.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2010 00:53 #6189 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Ubuntu 10.04
It's great! I've been running it since release day. I dual-boot it with Windows 7 on both my laptop and desktop.

More
26 May 2010 01:22 #6191 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:Ubuntu 10.04
i think very highly of Ubuntu.
When steam goes to linux ill probably switch over.

More
26 May 2010 02:40 #6192 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:Ubuntu 10.04
technobear wrote:

i think very highly of Ubuntu.
When steam goes to linux ill probably switch over.

Ditto.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
26 May 2010 03:42 #6193 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re:Ubuntu 10.04
Welcome to most mainstream Linux experiences today, they look great, and it's frustrating that most of the world will never even know how much better this stuff works out of the box + what all it comes with... FOR FREE... I'd run Linux desktops for my main environment if it weren't for the sheer number of Windows applications I run that don't do well with WINE / other "emulators". Sure, there's pretty much opensource alternatives to everything but I'm not going to be able to convince all my coworkers and the companies we work with to switch off of MS products.

Anyways, glad you like it, it's really a pretty worthy OS!

We have 1292 guests and one member online

supportus