Intel Demo's 48-core Processor

More
24 May 2010 17:06 #6140 by drpain
www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/201005...on_48_Core_Chip.html

Intel was in Europe showing off their 48-core experimental supercomputer chip which looks like your everyday processor on a prototype board that is being called The Copper Ridge which features a special design core logic 8 DIMM slots that is necessary for I/O operations of the system (graphics core, graphics memory on SO-DIMM) There aren't any SATA connectors, instead the system uses a single USB Flash Drive to do is computing. All of this appears to be your basic ATX size board and a standard desktop process but in reality it is a lot more then that.

The 48 core operates at 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz much like the Intel Atom and the core contains 24 tiles with 2 x86 cores per each one which results in the total of 48-cores.

Intel is saying each core can run a single OS plus the software that reacts like a typical node over a packet based network. Each core supports its own L2 cache with each tile supporting its own routing ID which allows them to talk to one another and it makes up a 24-router mesh network with 256GB/s of bandwidth. This processor has four integrated DDR3 memory controllers, or one controller per 12 cores.

The processor can run all 48-core which consumes a mere 125 watts of power, which then it can even section off the 2 tiles to have their own voltage and frequency.

Now this sounds pretty awesome but I doubt us consumerists can obtain a 48-core processor but it just shows that Intel basically gave a big FU to Moore's Law and will hopfully push development of multi-thread applications and hardware support for future computing.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 18:19 #6142 by NitrosDragon
drpain wrote:

Now this sounds pretty awesome but I doubt us consumerists can obtain a 48-core processor but it just shows that Intel basically gave a big FU to Moore's Law and will hopfully push development of multi-thread applications and hardware support for future computing.

Moore's Law is (as cited by Wikipedia): "the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years."

This is quite the milestone for computing, though. I'm very excited to see where this will take businesses who can afford this kind of power.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
24 May 2010 18:25 #6143 by drpain
Damn the inexpensive part always seem to forget that part lol but still even if they go by that every 2 years Intel has still leaped it :P

Would be awesome to have a supercomputer on your desktop to do whatever you wanted its like the doors are wide open and everyone can come in and play.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
24 May 2010 18:33 #6145 by NitrosDragon
drpain wrote:

but still even if they go by that every 2 years Intel has still leaped it :P

Oh, no doubt! It's a wonderful world that I'm growing up in. =]

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 1030 guests and one member online

supportus