ATI Eyefinity Experience Tool

More
23 May 2010 17:38 #6118 by garfi3ld
sites.amd.com/us/underground/products/ey...nity-experience.aspx

obviously you can't use Eyefinity with multiplayer because it would give an unfair advantage. But If you play a lot of single player games it looks like it might pull you into the game more.

What do you guys think?

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2010 17:40 #6119 by garfi3ld
Also here is a list of the games that work with it so far

support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-software.aspx

Wes

More
23 May 2010 21:07 #6127 by Lersar
I would love to play L4D on that

More
23 May 2010 22:54 #6128 by Wingless92
The L4D games are great with Eyefinity. I know that was the first game that I played when I got my setup. Works flawlessly.

More
24 May 2010 00:10 #6130 by Shroud
Wow, that is really nice... I want it.

unfair advantage? they paid for the set up...so paying cash= fair advantage. if thier is such thing as a fair advantage.... because an advantage gets rid of fair play...so.

More
24 May 2010 03:10 #6134 by Lersar
If I have the extra money to bribe a judge, is that fair? ;)

Devil's Advocation

More
24 May 2010 13:47 #6136 by drpain
Dang now I need to get a 5000 series card lol oh well I don't even think I have the space for a tri setup but still that does look pretty awesome.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
24 May 2010 16:44 #6139 by drpain
techreport.com/articles.x/18756

Nice article and a youtube video of a guy running Eyefinity with 6 monitors playing HAWX running at 5760x2160 resolution and Dirt 2 all pulling from a single ATI 5870. Still pretty awesome and pretty pricey but none the less still awesome.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
24 May 2010 17:09 #6141 by Shroud
Lersar wrote:

If I have the extra money to bribe a judge, is that fair? ;)

Devil's Advocation

yes, yes it is. :side:

Evil...

More
24 May 2010 18:27 #6144 by NitrosDragon
Shroud wrote:

unfair advantage? they paid for the set up...so paying cash= fair advantage. if thier is such thing as a fair advantage.... because an advantage gets rid of fair play...so.

I agree.

If a guy buys a super awesome mouse with macro buttons all over, does that mean he has an unfair advantage over a guy with a OEM 2-button mouse? What about the guy who overclocked his processor?

These rules are governed by ethics outside of the game. As far as I'm concerned, it's fair game. As long as nobody is modifying the game or disobeying any other predetermined rules outside of the game. It's up to the people who set up the competition.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
24 May 2010 20:02 - 24 May 2010 20:02 #6146 by technobear
sounds like this train of thought is leading to Classed gaming. Kind of like racing and such..

Well you lot are going to game together because youre running stock hardware and basic interfaces..

but you lot over here are goign to be in a special class because youre overclocked, use a nostromo, and a razer mouse..

ULTIMATELY the game itself is the ultimate equalizer because each game plays at a default level..

And your rig can either meet that default level or surpass it..
Last edit: 24 May 2010 20:02 by technobear.

More
24 May 2010 21:32 - 24 May 2010 21:34 #6147 by Lersar
technobear wrote:

ULTIMATELY the game itself is the ultimate equalizer because each game plays at a default level..

I don't know about that. I'd be willing to be if you set up two newbies, one with Eyefinity and the other without, that the former would progress faster. Then again, if the player can't develop the skill to make it across that many pixels to shoot the guy he can see in the extra monitor, it really doesn't matter.

I really don't know quite where I stand on the issue, but there's a very strong part of me that says at least for sanctioned tournaments, there needs to be a standard.

NitrosDragon

These rules are governed by ethics outside of the game. As far as I'm concerned, it's fair game. As long as nobody is modifying the game or disobeying any other predetermined rules outside of the game. It's up to the people who set up the competition.

I think an interesting comparison is steroids. It isn't modifying the sport, enhances one's personal ability, is expensive, and it's only disobeying predetermined rules because it's already been decided as an unfair advantage.
Last edit: 24 May 2010 21:34 by Lersar.

More
25 May 2010 02:10 #6155 by garfi3ld
NitrosDragon wrote:

Shroud wrote:

I agree.

If a guy buys a super awesome mouse with macro buttons all over, does that mean he has an unfair advantage over a guy with a OEM 2-button mouse? What about the guy who overclocked his processor?

Having a better mouse it a lot different than one person being able to see both to the left and right when the other person can't.

Thats like putting one person playing baseball blindfolded and the other not blindfolded. Thats going to be much more of an advantage than one person using a metal bat over a wooden bat.

Wes

More
25 May 2010 02:13 #6156 by NitrosDragon
Lersar wrote:

I think an interesting comparison is steroids. It isn't modifying the sport, enhances one's personal ability, is expensive, and it's only disobeying predetermined rules because it's already been decided as an unfair advantage.

A very good example of what I was trying to get at. Thanks for the breakdown, Adam.

As long as everyone is obeying the rules that have been previously agreed to (or lack thereof), I think Eyefinity is a wonderful tool.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
25 May 2010 10:04 #6160 by Lersar
NitrosDragon wrote:

Lersar wrote:

A very good example of what I was trying to get at. Thanks for the breakdown, Adam.

As long as everyone is obeying the rules that have been previously agreed to (or lack thereof), I think Eyefinity is a wonderful tool.

I... don't think you know what I was getting at there, but as long as it did something for you, thats cool with me. :D

More
25 May 2010 14:16 #6164 by NitrosDragon
Lersar wrote:

[Steroids are] only disobeying predetermined rules because it's already been decided as an unfair advantage.

This is what I was getting at. Unless I go to a tournament and they specifically state that use of Eyefinity or other enhanced display software/hardware is illegal, I say it's fair game.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
25 May 2010 15:21 #6167 by Twodavez
Would it be cheating if i had a better video card that displayed imaged faster (better FPS), or had a larger screen that showed more visable area? I remmeber someone saying that Fatal1ty disabled some setting to allow for more FPS. I havent been to a LAN yet that they've told JJ, Wes or anyone else with the big Hanns G monitors that they were too big. As long as you don't modify the games programming to allow extra monitors, it's something that was designed into the game and should be allowed.

And i understand the sight arguement, but playing Wow, you wouldn't last 10 minutes in a battle with out macros, does that make it cheating that i have an extra program that pops up a warning when my life gets low, or when my special ability is available? In the case of WOW, i think it is an unfair advantage to have a PC that can handle all those additional apps running in the backround. While it doesn't automatically click the spell or ability for your, it does make less work...
I'm sure Wingless could weigh into this thought process since he's a WOW guy :)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
25 May 2010 15:25 #6168 by Twodavez
NitrosDragon

I think an interesting comparison is steroids. It isn't modifying the sport, enhances one's personal ability, is expensive, and it's only disobeying predetermined rules because it's already been decided as an unfair advantage.[/quote]

Off Topic, but revelent to the subject: I heard that Tiger Woods had lasic surgery on his eyes and they now see 20/40 giving him an advantage in the spot where seeing like an eagle has advantages, yet he's allowed to compete... I recently watched a good documentary on steriods that i picked up at a LAN. I'll try to find the name and you can see for yourself what the whole deal is with that.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
25 May 2010 16:51 - 25 May 2010 17:04 #6169 by Dreyvas
NitrosDragon wrote:

Lersar wrote:

[Steroids are] only disobeying predetermined rules because it's already been decided as an unfair advantage.

This is what I was getting at. Unless I go to a tournament and they specifically state that use of Eyefinity or other enhanced display software/hardware is illegal, I say it's fair game.

Agreed.

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, someone did have an Eyefinity setup at Stompfest, right? I'm assuming they were allowed to use it in a tournament, since I didn't see any rules stating otherwise.

I'd say a better mouse with macros in WoW/RTS is just as much or more of an advantage as extra FOV in an FPS, and I haven't seen any rules in tournaments banning either.

Furthermore, when does it end? If you're going to start banning extended displays, ban mice and keyboards with macro/extra function buttons. If you're going to ban that, why not get rid of surround sound headphones? These things all provide advantages over lesser hardware. What's next, banning overclocking or high-end video cards?
Last edit: 25 May 2010 17:04 by Dreyvas.

More
25 May 2010 23:10 #6186 by garfi3ld
From what I understand most games only take advantage of eyefinity in single player. I can confirm this very soon, I picked up another monitor today

Wes

More
26 May 2010 00:23 #6187 by Lersar
Most sanctioned events, ones that I've seen anyway, have players compete on tournament rigs, which would all obviously be the same anyways.

More
26 May 2010 11:54 #6197 by Twodavez
Lersar wrote:

Most sanctioned events, ones that I've seen anyway, have players compete on tournament rigs, which would all obviously be the same anyways.

This seems logical. With the prizes and actual teams who compete in these types of events, it would be a good idea to put together identical PC's and put them in the same area for a competition. Plus you could stream their images to large screens and capture video to show kill shot replays and highlights of the events. Guess i haven't been to a big enough LAN that took it's tournaments that seriously!
Maybe next year i'll make it to million man in KY or the other big one in Detroit!

More
26 May 2010 13:13 #6201 by Lersar
Twodavez wrote:

Lersar wrote:

This seems logical. With the prizes and actual teams who compete in these types of events, it would be a good idea to put together identical PC's and put them in the same area for a competition. Plus you could stream their images to large screens and capture video to show kill shot replays and highlights of the events. Guess i haven't been to a big enough LAN that took it's tournaments that seriously!
Maybe next year i'll make it to million man in KY or the other big one in Detroit!

Well, to be fair, neither have I unfortunately. I've only seen them televised, like Arena or WCGS.

We have 1276 guests and one member online

supportus