Problem getting SLI to work

More
25 Apr 2010 17:05 #4757 by Nacelle
I snagged another gtx260 for some SLI action. I have an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard. I flipped the sli card around toward dual, connected the link between the two cards, enabled SLI in the bios, and installed the latest Win7 drivers. Only the card in slot 1 shows up in the device manager and of course doesn't show up in the nvidia control panel. I know each card is good. Each works by themselves, in slot one. Any help wold be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2010 17:12 #4758 by garfi3ld
is the second slot dead? Try running a card just in slot two

Wes

More
25 Apr 2010 17:29 - 25 Apr 2010 17:34 #4759 by Nacelle
Nothing. It never fails. Anyone have an sli board they want to sell?
Last edit: 25 Apr 2010 17:34 by Nacelle.

More
25 Apr 2010 19:03 #4766 by garfi3ld
maybe Asus will warranty it?

Wes

More
25 Apr 2010 19:05 - 25 Apr 2010 19:26 #4767 by technobear
ive done NO research on this.. I have an A8N SLI deluxe.. Im pretty sure its only a P4 board.

Edit: Its yours if it fits your needs.

Edit again: Even if you jsut want to borrow it to test your video cards..

Edit edit edit:
LOL
www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16813131517
its a amd 64 board it does have a processor on it though i dont know what. Its prettier than it is useful if youre coming from multicore.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2010 19:26 by technobear.

More
25 Apr 2010 19:26 #4768 by Nacelle
That's a 939 board. Thanks anyways.

More
25 Apr 2010 19:28 #4769 by technobear
lol no worries.

You said SLI and i literally thought " hey have a spare" i havent touched it in forever so i didnt even really know what it was. ( now i know why its stuck in my " emergency blew up my good machine" case...

More
25 Apr 2010 22:47 #4781 by Leonresevil2
*raises eyebrow* Maybe that spare of yours would work for my rig design? I don't know how that would change things for it, but it sounds like a decent possible part to start with, if you don't want it anymore.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
25 Apr 2010 22:50 #4783 by technobear
it barely stacks up against a P4 but if itll give you more time to save up for a good rig then sure.. i dont really need it. As long as nacelle doesnt want it for testing or whatever first, ( offered to him first )
i think that most of the system is there but you will need a PSU

More
25 Apr 2010 23:06 #4789 by Leonresevil2
Understood, first offer comes first. But does the board support DDR2 or 3? I figure it's 2. And is it just a mobo or are you wanting to get rid of more parts with it?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
25 Apr 2010 23:10 #4790 by technobear
its got a sub 3ghz Amd 64 on it.. 2gb of ddr something ( ddr1 most likely) i do know its crucial ballistix it supports SLI its in a case ( old but usable ) and i have a crappy pcie card i can give you just to get you going.. so you would need a PSU, optical drive, and HDD to make the machine functional i beleive..

If you have a POS machine from early P4 era this will be a slight upgrade for you and would atleast give you some time to save.. Will it play BC2? probably not.. would it play COD4 ya.. COD5 MW2 maaaaybe..

Itll play wow :)

More
25 Apr 2010 23:38 #4800 by garfi3ld
I wouldnt pick it up for your build unless its REALLY cheap. The build you are looking at putting together, the CPU and mobo was going to be $110. And it would perform a lot better than this setup.

Wes

More
25 Apr 2010 23:39 #4802 by Leonresevil2
technobear wrote:

its got a sub 3ghz Amd 64 on it.. 2gb of ddr something ( ddr1 most likely) i do know its crucial ballistix it supports SLI its in a case ( old but usable ) and i have a crappy pcie card i can give you just to get you going.. so you would need a PSU, optical drive, and HDD to make the machine functional i beleive..

If you have a POS machine from early P4 era this will be a slight upgrade for you and would atleast give you some time to save.. Will it play BC2? probably not.. would it play COD4 ya.. COD5 MW2 maaaaybe..

Itll play wow :)

Lol. Could it be upgraded to play BC2? My thought was that the mobo would give a decent ground to build up on, better than what I have (my existing desktop can't support 1GB ram). If it could handle the ATI 5770 that's been mentioned, that would be great.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
25 Apr 2010 23:42 #4804 by technobear
It could handle the 5770 but not any more of a processor unless you by luck could find a compatible AMD 64 x2 keep in mind this is one of the first 64 bit compatible motherboards/sockets its before AM2 and 3

More
25 Apr 2010 23:55 #4815 by garfi3ld
yeah you wouldn't be able to upgrade much past what it is currently. Again I wouldn't really recommend it, buying into an older tech when something current is so cheap would only cost you more in the future.

Wes

More
25 Apr 2010 23:56 #4819 by technobear
ya if you get this from me itll really only be a bridge gap to give you more time to save for a real rig.

More
26 Apr 2010 00:23 #4842 by Leonresevil2
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll probably look for something newer then, but thanks anyways!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
29 Apr 2010 01:38 #5007 by Nacelle
So I got a new motherboard. Now I have 2 problems. I'm getting weird colors/flickering in games and there's been no increase in the fps I'm getting. Sometimes, they go down. Is there something I'm missing?

More
29 Apr 2010 14:07 - 29 Apr 2010 14:12 #5020 by Oh4sh0
Firstly, are you sure SLI is enabled and working (I'd assume by your earlier posts you are). Do you see both cards listed in Device Manager? Using a canned benchmark, ie 3dmark, do you notice a difference between 2 cards and a single card?

If you had weird colors and flickering with one card -- it sounds like artifacting, which occurs when the ram on a given GPU is bad or it is overheating. But you're certain that both cards are good, and you've placed each one under load by themselves to determine stability?

Most reports seem to indicate that when it isn't a bad card, this can be caused by a loose or bad bridge. You should double check your SLI bridge to ensure it is firmly connected to the two cards, and obtain a spare, if reconnecting does not resolve the problem.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2010 14:12 by Oh4sh0.

More
29 Apr 2010 16:11 #5037 by garfi3ld
I was going to mention the bridge also

Wes

More
29 Apr 2010 16:28 #5043 by technobear
i have a ASUS bridge i dont use..

More
30 Apr 2010 11:02 #5120 by Nacelle
Here's where I'm at. I installed win7 x64 on another hard drive to make sure the os wasn't fubar'd. I was able to get rid of the flashing by enabling stereoscopic 3d and checking the box to not show it in game. I found this trick online. I'm still getting slower benches in 3dmark06 with SLI enables than when it's not. Both cards get hot, so they must be doing work.

More
01 May 2010 02:07 #5193 by Nacelle
I think I may have it figured out. I swapped the cards around and removed the sli bridge and the fps jumped up. Yea!!! Anyone have a working SLI bridge they don't need?

More
01 May 2010 02:30 #5194 by technobear
Nacelle wrote:

I think I may have it figured out. I swapped the cards around and removed the sli bridge and the fps jumped up. Yea!!! Anyone have a working SLI bridge they don't need?

yes sir.. email me your snail mail ill mail it to you

More
03 May 2010 13:28 #5314 by technobear
i forgot to bring it with me this am to mail it.. Ill put it in the apt complexes mail which means itll go out tomorrow.

More
03 May 2010 21:46 #5345 by Nacelle
NP. I forgot to ask, was that a flexible one? I've seen rigid ones, and those are only ment for the mobo they came with.

More
03 May 2010 22:03 #5348 by technobear
it is rigid.. ill send it anyway..never knwo it might fit

More
03 May 2010 22:04 #5350 by garfi3ld
as long as its not motherboard that gives you an extra space in between the cards you should be fine. The slots have to be a standard length, if not cards wouldn't line up with the back of the case

If you don't end up with one Im sure I have one around here

Wes

More
07 May 2010 23:18 #5584 by Nacelle
Thanks anyways, but it's too small. The one you sent is meant for boards that have one slot between the gfx cards. The one I have is capable of Triple SLI so there's 2 slot between them.

More
08 May 2010 03:33 #5590 by technobear
oh ok well i tried man.. pass it on to someone who can use it, because i certainly wont

We have 1151 guests and one member online

supportus