MOD Talk Methods to Silence your HDD

More
25 Apr 2010 05:19 - 25 Apr 2010 05:27 #4745 by technobear
THIS WAS NOT MY IDEA!

i found this during my daily peruse. but if youre going for a quieter machine and youve got some HDD chatter ( and cant afford SSD ) this might be something worth while.

www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html

This definitely falls under the budget modders section lol.

WHY? would you need this?

On some cheaper cases the HDD cages can rattle quite a bit.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2010 05:27 by technobear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2010 03:52 #4858 by CrazyBillyBob
For my last couple of cases I built my own HDD mounts. Basically I used 2 Aluminum L plates with some holes drilled in them for the drives. To "Decouple" the drives from the case I over-sized the holes ans used rubber plugs that have a threaded brass insert that matches the screw thread on the HDD. I'll get some pics, and the technical name for the rubber thingys :) and post them... I want to say they were like $0.35 each US. They work really well for noise and double a shock mounts (my cases seem to like to Roll around or travel allot.

CBB

More
26 Apr 2010 03:56 #4859 by Davey_Boy
THAT'S AWESOME!!!! hahahaha

More
26 Apr 2010 17:49 #4888 by NitrosDragon
Read a similar article earlier, actually linking to that one. I've been thinking about this for a while but I grow worrisome of heat getting trapped if you try sandwiching it.

Probably only necessary to worry about if it's a high speed drive, but if there's anything I can do to keep my drive from failing...

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
26 Apr 2010 17:51 #4890 by technobear
well, with sandwiching id think that youd really be forced to use aluminum or copper for thier heat xfer.

More
26 Apr 2010 18:00 #4896 by NitrosDragon
technobear wrote:

well, with sandwiching id think that youd really be forced to use aluminum or copper for thier heat xfer.

No doubt. I won a fancy little Vizo Orbiter at my first lan with LanOC. Works like a champ!

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 1324 guests and no members online

supportus