Case Modding

More
20 Apr 2010 14:41 - 21 Apr 2010 01:08 #4106 by technobear
Case Modding was created by technobear
I don't know about others here but I spend a fair amount of time figuring out HOW to mod my cases.
What materials do I use?
What tools and where do I get them?
What tools work for which task and what shouldn't I use them for?

So, I thought I'd start to put something together.

I can tell you that for my most recent project I had over $50 in paint and other materials.

Paint:
Just like with most things, preferences for paint brands, colors, methods, etc will change from person to person. The best I can do is tell you what I do when I'm working on one of these projects.

Brand Selection:
When I'm painting cases for my primary colors or base colors I prefer to use Rust-Oleum paints. It's my experience that they tend to stick better to a wider range of materials and are more resilient . Rust-Oleum also seems to be less finicky than Krylon. I also prefer to use the Rust-Oleum Clearcoat paints because so far I have not had any issues with it working with the detail paint that I'll talk about next.

For detail painting ( plastics, logos, etc) I like to use Model paints. Preferably Testors Enamel paints. There is a huge range of colors. They seem to be a robust brand, and their product seems to get along well with Rust-Oleum paint.

Priming and prepping:
I don't always use primer and to be honest with my HAF 932 I didn't even sand it down. I just wiped every surface down with a mix of 50/50 Dawn dish detergent and water, and then used a microfiber cloth to wipe away what didn't dry on its own. This removed any oil left by my fingers. If you like you could also use Windex or maybe even a light wipe down of mineral spirits. But be careful that if you're using mineral spirits right away that they may adversely effect the existing finish.

When I am prepping a case to be painted I take special care to cover up parts that I don't want to have any overspray or heavy coats of paint on. If I can disassemble it I will. I have learned to use Painters masking tape. It doesn't stick as hard as normal masking tape so I don't have to worry about leaving behind tape residue or damaging the paint below. The brand I use is Duck Tape, and I use the Clean release ( mine is green however). If there are very large areas to cover often a bit of news paper and some normal masking tape over the painters tape does the trick. The key is to make sure there are no holes that overspray can leak into. There is nothing more aggravating than to find, after the project is done, a small overspray leak.

Stenciling and Designs:
When making stencils I will use Frisk Film . I bought mine at United Art Supply in Fort Wayne. Frisk film is kind of like a giant sheet of scotch tape with a paper backing.

Here are some basic steps for using Frisk Film:
1. Print your logo or text to a piece of paper.
2. Tape that paper to a disposable surface ( cardboard, whatever). I use a medium sized Self-Healing Cutting Mat .

3. Tape your Frisk over the paper (frisk is easy to see through), then use a knife to cut out your stencil. For one of my designs i found it easier to do this the other way around, but i had to be very careful to make sure that i was applying enough pressure to get through the Frisk Film and that the film did not distort.
4. You then take your stencil, peel off the backing, and apply it to the surface you want to paint.
5. When you're done painting you peel off the frisk stencil and you're done.

If you want to paint around something that is already there ( HAF logo in my case) you can get a product called Liquid Mask . It is essentially a low grip rubber cement that you apply around the object you want to paint. Once applied you let it dry ( LET IT DRY!!!) and then you apply your paint. When the paint is dry enough for you to remove the masking you can then peel the mask away and it will leave behind your design. I purchased my liquid mask at a local hobbyist store. The salesman mentioned that if you want to do free form design to just apply the masking generously on the area then use a Exact-o Knife to cut out your design.

Metal Fabrication/Modification:
For Modifying the steel of the case I use three tools primarily.

1. Case Nibbler - Not much to say.. it nibbles the steel. You can get these cheap so just Google it and pick up a pair.

2. Hole Saw - I use Lenox . They have a Bi Metal line that works well. You have to buy two components. One is the saw itself, and the other is the core that screws into the saw and you then attach to your drill.

3. Burr Remover - I just use a file.

In another post i think ill cover a way to make "welds" on a case.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2010 01:08 by garfi3ld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2010 19:20 #4146 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic Re:Case Modding
Awesome timeing, I have been thinking about maybe modding my case but wasn't sure what I should use. Not sure what I might do to my case but I have a few ideas. Dunno if I will get it done before I leave for the summer but hopeful by the next LAN I go to it will be done.

More
20 Apr 2010 19:27 #4147 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:Case Modding
Shroud wrote:

Awesome timeing, I have been thinking about maybe modding my case but wasn't sure what I should use. Not sure what I might do to my case but I have a few ideas. Dunno if I will get it done before I leave for the summer but hopeful by the next LAN I go to it will be done.

Ill be going over this post again tonight to make it easier to read and add some pictures. But please feel free to ask questions. If i dont have a way to do what you have in mind someone else may! I saw several machines that were clearly great displays of fabrication!

More
20 Apr 2010 19:36 #4149 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Case Modding
Nice guide Techno, thanks for putting this together.

Hopefully we'll get some comments and tips from a few of the other modders in the OC community, too.

More
20 Apr 2010 23:04 #4165 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Case Modding
Great information! +karma.

More
21 Apr 2010 00:54 #4170 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:Case Modding
Thanks for the feed back guys!

The more i think about this the more i feel the need to say this.

If you guys would like more step by step with pictures let me know. I really dont mind getting ahold of a crappy old case and photographing step by step how to do some of this stuff.

I know that for me seeing photos goes a long way for figuring out how to do something.

I did mention at the end making " welds" That in and of itself would be an entire post alone. Its something i figured out how to do while making models and its kind of involved. However it looks really cool if you want to simulate a thick beaded weld.

Anyway.. Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

More
21 Apr 2010 02:43 #4182 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:Case Modding
I've done a lot of research on modding, and I'm a very organized guy, so a lot of ideas are on the table before I can finish with one minuscule addition.

But, I do have some random knowledge about this topic, so if anyone does attempt a mod and is looking for some other thoughts, I'm more than happy to help. It really depends on what you'll be looking for in the final product. I.e. Custom lighting = No need for advanced painting techniques.

And, on a bit of a tangent here, has anyone else thought of doing iridescent paint on their case? I read a tutorial once and it was very interesting.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
21 Apr 2010 04:02 #4186 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic Re:Case Modding
The thing I use every time before I paint is denatured Alcohol. It cleans off all the oils that are either on the item (like the raw steel I use) or Oils that I put on the item (even the oils from your skin can mess up a paint job). Also, don't clear or use "candy" type paints when the humidity is over 65-70% or it has a tendency to cloud and bubble as the VOC's and the water vapor react to one another in the paint. If your going to paint over the stock paint, take a green scotch brite (that green scrubby thing in your kitchen sink) and scuff the case first. It helps give the new paint some increased mechanical adhesion and therefore makes it less likely to peel off. But use a new one, that on it the sink isn't as rough, and you really don't want to embed tiny pieces of last nights burnt meat loaf into your case's paint job ;)

It takes Rattle can paint about 30 days to cure to full hardness... so give your paint job 3-4 weeks before you buff, and wax it for the best results.

Dupli-color has some great paints (candy's, metallic flex Clears, glow in the dark, color shift etc) but they are picky as to witch other brands they play nice with. Rustoleum primer works well with them. The clear will work too, but you have to apply it within no more then 1 hour of spraying the base or you have to wait for 7-10 days...There's some vapor the Dupli-color gives off the messes with the Rustoleum clear if you go out side on the 1 hour..

I've done a fair bit of modding so if you have specific Q's that you need advice on drop me a line I'll see if we can't get you off on the right track.

We have 1838 guests and no members online

supportus