PS3 Internet Speeds

More
13 May 2013 06:32 - 13 May 2013 06:32 #30667 by Wingcmdr77
Okay factoring in these two requirements:

1. You did not put in another access point or move your own access point close to the PS3.

2. You did not connect it by Ethernet Cable.

Have any of you tweaked settings to get better speeds. If so what did you do?

I do not know the science behind this or why it worked (Didnt feel like reading anymore about it, just wanted to get back to the movie and had latency problems)
disabled "media server connection" it seems to have increased the speed by 25-30 percent when I compare the numbers before and after. So if its acting as a "server" sure its putting out extra proc time, bandwidth, yes but I never utilized it.

To me its one of those flaky things with the PS3 where they really should put "Chrome" as their default browser and things would render the pages so much better.

Cell engine after so many software updates just doesnt seem to like its native browser.

So what's all of your story? PS4 FTW your mine! :woohoo:
Last edit: 13 May 2013 06:32 by Wingcmdr77.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2013 07:14 #30668 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
I always use ethernet because wireless introduces a little more lag and generally is slower than my internet connection.

If you are running wireless and using the ps3 in media server mode there is a good chance it will use up some of the limited bandwidth of the wireless connection, slowing things down when its in use.

But all in all, I have never noticed at all because I have never ever needed to browse the internet over my ps3 lol. I have a while list of devices that would be more convenient before I get that desperate to get online

Wes

More
13 May 2013 07:58 #30675 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
Always use the Ethernet connection. Always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
13 May 2013 10:08 #30687 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
I have to go wireless on my 360 and my media center PC and I can tell a difference no matter what I am doing wired vs wireless.

In theory a 300m wireless connection should have no issues getting full speed from a 30m internet connection but benchmarks are always faster wired.

More
14 May 2013 23:35 #30723 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
Totally agree Memoman, Garfield, and Renegade! B)

As mentioned Ethernet isnt an option for me, Wife wont let me poke around in the attic/drill holes etc just for something like this. While I deem is a necessary worthy venture/she says its not necessary as it works fine the way it is. I may just do it anyhow when she's gone all day on a weekend shopping, ha!

As far as browsing on its Native Browser, I did it for fun once or twice. I know it sucks and wont use it. It's pathetic. B)

garfi3ld wrote: I always use ethernet because wireless introduces a little more lag and generally is slower than my internet connection.

If you are running wireless and using the ps3 in media server mode there is a good chance it will use up some of the limited bandwidth of the wireless connection, slowing things down when its in use.

But all in all, I have never noticed at all because I have never ever needed to browse the internet over my ps3 lol. I have a while list of devices that would be more convenient before I get that desperate to get online

More
15 May 2013 02:55 #30724 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
Does the PS3 have wireless n? If you are running the stock router provided by your ISP, it is probably G. If the PS3 is N, you may get a bump in performance by swapping out your router for one that handles N.

If you need one, I know a place local to Ft. Wayne, that has a great price on a 150MB wireless N router! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac

More
15 May 2013 15:35 - 15 May 2013 16:23 #30725 by Wingcmdr77
Wireless G (first Gen PS3 got it maybe 6 months after Nov 06 when Sony rolled them out) and the Fios Router is their latest; it supports Wireless N. And of course you know if you activate N on Fios Router you can't connect to PS3. Atleast Fios confirmed it would only connect in compatibility mode. I tried N, knowing I wouldnt get a speed gain anyway and it never could reach the access point aka exchanging keys, obtaining and IP, etc. UGH!

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: Does the PS3 have wireless n? If you are running the stock router provided by your ISP, it is probably G. If the PS3 is N, you may get a bump in performance by swapping out your router for one that handles N.

If you need one, I know a place local to Ft. Wayne, that has a great price on a 150MB wireless N router! ;)

Last edit: 15 May 2013 16:23 by Wingcmdr77.

More
15 May 2013 16:27 #30726 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic PS3 Internet Speeds
"I tried N, knowing I wouldnt get a speed gain "

Wireless N should get you a speed gain assuming you have fast internet

Wes

More
15 May 2013 16:38 - 16 May 2013 03:11 #30727 by Wingcmdr77

garfi3ld wrote: "I tried N, knowing I wouldnt get a speed gain "

Wireless N should get you a speed gain assuming you have fast internet

Meaning I tried for fun messing around. PS3 ops on 2.4, wireless N is I believe 5 ghz. Ya its backwards compatible, thats why I ended up no Wireless N benefits because of this. The Fios Router connects in compatibility mode. But in order to get the full benefit both need to be Wireless N.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024G48VA/ref.../190-4168253-1561144

I could try this and use the ethernet port to make the PS3 Wireless N.

Other than that, yes I know it would get a speed gain assuming both Wireless N which they are not and Internet is 25/25. "Shrugs"

So how many times did I hit the obvious button today? Failboat all the way. Can I find a rock to hide under?
Last edit: 16 May 2013 03:11 by Wingcmdr77.

We have 1858 guests and no members online

supportus