Need input on upgrades

More
30 Apr 2012 22:02 #24871 by Rock8104
Hey all I'm looking for some help from the techies here.

I am wanting to upgrade my Case, Video Card, and maybe go to an SSD. I would like to keep it around 500 but am open to suggestions. If anyone can help with the questions below that would be helpful.

1. Right now I have an Nvidia 250 and was wanting to go up to 540,550 or 560. Any suggestions as to brand? I have usually stuck with EVGA but I really don't care that much. I will probably want to wait until it is on sale.

2. Any suggestions on a Mid range case that has filters for the fans or they can be added? I have a lot of dogs and the case sits on the floor so it collects dust.

3. When using an SSD what is stored on the SSD and what is stored off of it? I have never installed one so I'm not too familiar with organization of files on them.

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2012 22:06 #24873 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: Need input on upgrades
Nzxt makes some nice mid range cases. Go with a 560ti 2gig for a nice upgrade. As for sdd I have not look at them much recently so I won't put my two cents in on that.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using tapa talk

More
30 Apr 2012 22:56 #24875 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Need input on upgrades
When are you planning on doing this upgrade? I also need to know what size motherboard you have full atx, micro atx, ect.

Wes

More
01 May 2012 01:45 #24880 by lonewolf170

Rock8104 wrote: 3. When using an SSD what is stored on the SSD and what is stored off of it? I have never installed one so I'm not too familiar with organization of files on them.

As far as I know, an SSD is pretty much a harddrive just faster. What you put on it is whatever you want to put on it. Can use it as a boot drive to get faster start ups with windows and games, I think that's it's big push atm.
I don't have one myself, out of my pricerange. :pinch:

More
01 May 2012 02:08 #24881 by Rock8104
Replied by Rock8104 on topic Re: Need input on upgrades
Im wanting to do the upgrade this month but i can wait too. I have a full atx mobo. Thanks for helping guys

More
01 May 2012 02:21 #24882 by garfi3ld
There will always be better cheaper and faster hardware around the corner. I wouldn't wait around for something new to come out. I was just curious if we should be looking at stuff a little more expensive knowing the prices will drop or not.

Wes

More
01 May 2012 02:27 #24884 by garfi3ld
This is what I would go with

You would use the SSD to install your OS and important apps. If you have many steam games its best to keep steam on your second hard drive, just from a capacity standpoint.

Also you could save some money and get the HAF XM that we just reviewed as well
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119257

Wes
Attachments:

More
01 May 2012 02:35 #24885 by Wingcmdr77
Wes, when do you expect prices to drop? I want to add another nvidia 570gtx sooner or later....

More
01 May 2012 03:30 #24888 by garfi3ld
Well with the 690 just being announced, now Nvidia will most likely start working their way down their product line to fill in the 600 series cards. The 670 would be the first if they do that. Prices should drop around that same time

Wes

More
01 May 2012 08:48 #24891 by Rock8104
Thanks for the info Wes. I think I like the HAF case a little better so I'm going to wait for it to go on sale and pick it up along with the 560ti at that point.

More
01 May 2012 09:11 #24892 by garfi3ld
no problem, remember that SSD is also going to increase your performance considerably also. Thats out of game performance of course. The Video card will help in game :D

Let us know when you get the parts and post up pics!

Wes

More
01 May 2012 16:15 #24895 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Need input on upgrades

garfi3ld wrote: This is what I would go with
You would use the SSD to install your OS and important apps. If you have many steam games its best to keep steam on your second hard drive, just from a capacity standpoint.

Side question - Is there a way to install steam on both hard drives? I have too many games that i'd like installed to have them all on my SSD with my OS, but i'd like some of the FPS games on my SSD, but could care less about Orcs must die and Dungeon Defenders as i don't play them that often... I tried to find a way to install the games to a different drive, but wasn't able to figure it out. So i'm assuming it's all or nothing when it comes to STEAM installs?
Thanks

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
01 May 2012 17:11 #24896 by jj_Sky5000
I spread out the love.

os and origin on one ssd
steam on a 2nd ssd
Blizzard games on a third

os fails reinstall back up in running in 20 minutes :)

More
01 May 2012 22:01 #24897 by garfi3ld
Dave there are programs that can help you do that but just a normal installation you can't. Honestly You won't see an improvement on most games other than games that you have to wait for things to load like large maps.

Wes

More
02 May 2012 01:09 #24899 by THUMPer
Replied by THUMPer on topic Re: Need input on upgrades
blizzard games on a 3rd drive. Good idea, keep them as far away from the OS as possible...lol

More
02 May 2012 02:31 #24900 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: Need input on upgrades
Dave,

Your looking for a program called junction link magic. It will let you mirror a entire path to a different drive put the data on that drive empty path on the old drive but the OS will think its all on 1 drive.

www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/...ion-Link-Magic.shtml

More
02 May 2012 16:09 #24907 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Need input on upgrades

renegade wrote: Dave,

Your looking for a program called junction link magic. It will let you mirror a entire path to a different drive put the data on that drive empty path on the old drive but the OS will think its all on 1 drive.

www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/...ion-Link-Magic.shtml

Let it be known that i don't have the best understanding of what i'm talking abotu most of the time when it comes to the extremely technical, but wouldn't this defeat the purpose of having items on the SSD? I mean i understand that the SSD has faster load times, but if i tell my Computer that it's on my SSD, then have a program map it to my old non-ssd HD, then isn't that creating more steps and slowing down the whole process? maybe i'm just not fully inderstanding...
Bottom line is, i only have a GTX260 pushing out the images, so i don't think i'm going to see much change in performance if i move Steam off my SSD (where my OS is) and put it on my old "normal" HD. Am i wrong? I'm always interested to see how i went wrong in my thinking as i believe there is more than meets the eye when it comes to how Computers store information...

PS - Sorry Rock for hijacking your topic... Maybe Wes could move all the posts aboud SSD/file managment into it's own topic to keep yours purely yours. :kiss:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
02 May 2012 20:07 - 02 May 2012 20:12 #24909 by renegade
What you do is you put the games that you dont play alot etc on the 2nd HDD and use junction link to make it so steam still see's this dir's, while keeping the games you play alot on the SSD for the speed. I mean I have 60 some games in my steam and a good 30 installed at a given time. There is no way I could keep all those on the SSD so I have steam installed to the SSD then the games I only play at a lan or rare I junction link to my 750. Leaving the ones I play alot on the SSD. So this way I get the best of both angles I have all of them installed but the ones I want to load faster are on the ssd.

My steam dir is over 300 meg. Even if I wanted it would not all fit on my 256 SSD and I can't see the cost to put in something larger at this time so junction link magic lets you work around the limitation of SSD sizes.

EDIT - After re-reading I think you thought this made you move the whole dir and that is not the case. Steam is installed to the SSD in path X say games/steam. Then on the HDD you put a dir named games/steam. Then you look in the steam dir for the games dir you want to move an create that exact path on the HDD eg games/steam/steamapps/common/batman2. Then you move the data from the same path on the ssd to the same path on the hdd leaving the empty batman2 dir on the ssd. Then you go into junction link and set the source to the empty path on the ssd and the destination to the same path on the hdd and it will put in a link to the 2 paths so they act as one. Open it on the ssd and you will see the data on the hdd, open it on the hdd and you will see the data as well, but it only resides on the hdd.

I hope that helps.
Last edit: 02 May 2012 20:12 by renegade.

More
02 May 2012 20:50 #24910 by garfi3ld
The downside to that software, at least I would imagine, if you have to re-install your OS you are going to have to re-install your steam also. To me this is one of the best things about keeping steam on a second hard drive. I can reinstall and then click on the steam exe and it will reinstall the registry files without me having to redownload my games

Wes

More
02 May 2012 22:15 #24911 by Rock8104
SO I went with the EVGA 560ti and a Corsair scout case. I like the handle on the scout case and it saved me a little. The wife wants a new lappy now... Time to shop for that.

Thanks for all your help I will post pictures when done.

More
02 May 2012 23:44 #24914 by renegade
If you reinstall the OS you would only lose the steam dir if you formated the HD, or didnt copy it off before reformating. Just install OS, install steam, delete the new steam dir, copy the old back, then run junction links to put the links back in place. Done it several times already myself.

More
02 May 2012 23:50 #24915 by garfi3ld
much more complicated than not having it on a second hard drive :-P

Honestly I don't see the need for the speed improvement on games. Most aren't waiting on your hard drive to load things, other than games where map load times are an issue.

Also OP, looking forward to the pics!

Wes

More
03 May 2012 01:22 #24923 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Need input on upgrades

garfi3ld wrote: Most aren't waiting on your hard drive to load things, other than games where map load times are an issue.

Looking at you, Battlefield 3. :<

More
03 May 2012 02:06 #24924 by garfi3ld
I actually run bf3 off my ssd, not because I want to but because I always forget to change the location in origin before installing. I always install origin itself on the second hard drive and forget that it still defaults to C drive for game installs

Wes

More
03 May 2012 03:52 #24925 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Need input on upgrades

garfi3ld wrote: I actually run bf3 off my ssd, not because I want to but because I always forget to change the location in origin before installing. I always install origin itself on the second hard drive and forget that it still defaults to C drive for game installs

Probably better that way, the map load times are pretty atrocious.

We have 1481 guests and no members online

supportus