New build restart loop

More
27 Feb 2010 15:09 #2243 by X0d0us
Hey everyone.

I built a pc yesterday for someone and went to power it on, and when I did so it would boot for various periods of time and then restart. It'll restart 3, maybe 4 times then simply not respond to power at all. I have to pull the power cable for 3-5 seconds for it to fire back up.

First I monitored the CPU temp in BIOS and verified that it's not overheating. I then dropped the memory to one stick and tried diff sticks in diff slots. I decided to gut the case and bench test. Thought about the reset cable shorting out so I didn't connect any of the front panel cables and just powered it on by shorting with a screwdriver. With just one stick RAM, vid card, cpu, and psu the problem continued. tried a diff vid card with same results. I do not have another compatible psu (unfortunately) to test and i understand there may not be much I can determine w/out getting one, but does anyone have possible suggestions of what to try next or has anyone experienced this before and can help? Oh! I also performed a "load test" on the PSU by just having one case fan hooked up and shorting the green/black wires with a paper clip. Seemed to run fine but this really just tells me that the PSU can handle a small load and not an entire PC.

q8300 2.5ghz Intel Quad
Giga-Byte EP45-UD3P P45 motherboard
radeon 4670 1gb vid card
Kingston 4x2gb RAM
Corsair 550VX PSU

If any other info is needed just let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2010 15:11 #2244 by X0d0us
Replied by X0d0us on topic RE: New build restart loop
Just remembered, I also set the RAM voltage to 2.1v (recommended) b/c the motherboard defaulted at 1.8v and had no luck with that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have 1227 guests and no members online

supportus