Picked up a Xoom WiFi

More
28 Mar 2011 23:27 #14594 by Wingless92
So far it's pretty damn nice. The screen on it is great. Downloaded some apps and i'm playing around with those right now. I also got the standard dock so I can have it on my desk. I am not sure if I am going to keep it but I wanted to try one out for awhile and pulled the trigger on it.

Going to keep playing around with it over the next few weeks and see what I think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2011 00:31 #14596 by Wingless92

More
29 Mar 2011 00:35 #14597 by J_E_R_O_M_E
Looks pretty sweet man!

"Where ever you go, there you are"

Battle.net: J_E_R_O_M_E
Steam: J_3_R_0_M_3

More
29 Mar 2011 03:51 #14598 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic Re: Picked up a Xoom WiFi
looks sweet. not worth the price tag.

More
29 Mar 2011 19:14 #14606 by Leonresevil2
I'm waiting for a tablet that runs Steam, if only for Audiosurf. Till then, laptop and phone all the way.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
30 Mar 2011 04:35 #14618 by Wingless92
Well the review is done.

I took it back LMAO.

That was fast. Just didn't see the need for it and didn't see the value of $662 in it either.

I got my Nexus S and my laptop and that seems to be more than enough.

Girl at the counter at Best Buy said 6 out of the 7 Xoom WiFi's that they got were returned, I took that with a grain of salt.

More
30 Mar 2011 05:00 #14619 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Picked up a Xoom WiFi
Don't you have to sign a 2-year contract with Verizon? That'd be a death sentence with how fast tablets are advancing right now.

More
30 Mar 2011 05:22 #14620 by Wingless92

Dreyvas wrote: Don't you have to sign a 2-year contract with Verizon? That'd be a death sentence with how fast tablets are advancing right now.

This was the WiFi only one. Would never get a tablet with a data plan, my Nexus S supports Teathering natively.

More
30 Mar 2011 05:27 #14621 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Picked up a Xoom WiFi
Gotcha. Yup, Android ftw.

More
30 Mar 2011 05:37 #14623 by Wingless92
Yep, I use my laptop for a couple of things and most of them are NSFW so i'll leave those alone. The other things I was looking forward to use the Xoom with I was let down. At the end of the day I lay in bed and read a bunch of sites on my Nexus S and other things aka XDA and USA Today. I tried this last night and it was terrible for me. The product is very nice and I would recommend it to someone in need of a tablet but for me it doesn't have a purpose.

More
30 Mar 2011 06:42 #14626 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Picked up a Xoom WiFi
in other words, its a great tablet.. BUT is the idea of a tablet really a good idea at all?

Wes

More
30 Mar 2011 20:06 #14639 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote: in other words, its a great tablet.. BUT is the idea of a tablet really a good idea at all?

Very true. I think there is a reason tablets have been around for decades but never caught on. The thoughts by Google and Apple that tablets and phones will replace the desktop completely, I think are wrong. Cloud processing can offer some improvements, but people will always want bigger screens, unlimited battery life, fast processing and graphics, and a variety of input methods. I can imagine someone trying dual-screening two tablets to play a game. ;)

I've come to the conclusion that tablets are not so much computers as appliances, more so in respect to Apple but still true in this case. They have potential for some, but they will not do everything wanted. The reason Windows did so well was because it let anyone write any program in any code wanted without restrictions. With that, you get free alternatives and open-source development, along with high-grade professional programs for a price. I think that until there is an OS that can work with this openness of programming, while featuring an interface that works for touch, tablets will not become mainstream. 'Everybody' can talk about them, but sales show that they are a speck on the marketplace, with less out there than mp3 players or ereaders. They can look cool and do some cool things, but there's a lot of hype out there.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
31 Mar 2011 00:27 #14652 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Picked up a Xoom WiFi
Well thats funny actually, returning it so soon. I myself have an iPad and about the only things I really do with it is stream media with Airvideo from my main machine which is running the server in the background, fantasy sports leagues and playing NBA Jam on it. Other then that not a whole lot.

These are really designed for media functions only to be honest I wouldn't push these yet to be considered laptop killing because there are like zero functions for an enterprise solution.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
01 Apr 2011 16:47 #14733 by Leonresevil2
Found this bit on the idea that tablets will disappear and it does bring up some good points. I never thought about the distinction between mobile and portable, but really there is a large one. People move and use cell phones, but movement with a laptop is not something reasonable. So maybe combining the two is not really the best idea.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
05 Apr 2011 20:05 #14835 by Leonresevil2
Found This ASUS Eee Transformer tablet that actually looks really cool. MSRP to be around 400 puts it in a good place, and it looks like it offers some cool features.
On a side note, I realized how much less useful Amazon.com has become, due to the surge of their apps filling up "Other users purchased" lists; from being related products to being randoms cheap apps I don't care about. Fail.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1810 guests and no members online

supportus