QuakeCon 2013

More
07 Aug 2012 17:36 #26897 by Twodavez
QuakeCon 2013 was created by Twodavez
After driving 16+ hours to and from, the lightbulb went off and i'm currently looking into the costs associated with getting a Charter Bus for next year. I have NO idea on the cost to split it up, but would anyone be interested in something like this if i could keep the cost cheaper than renting your own car and doing the driving?
Also if we could get enough people, i'd look into getting some deals on hotel rooms so we'd have a complete package available.

I'll post more about QC2012 later tonight when i get my pictures downloaded and available for me to post.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2012 20:22 #26900 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic QuakeCon 2013
I may be interested but the cost will be a big factor. I hope from some of the stories I have read that QC can learn from this year. I read about people being in line for 10+ hours and being turned away. How freaking hard would it be to register online, or even a deposit so they actually show up. Then you could print your registration email, with a barcode on it. Print and sign any waivers ahead of time, then when you go through the line they scan your barcode on your sheet, take your waiver give you your badge or lanyard and you are in. I think they also didn't have enough volunteers or something. I don't know maybe you can shed some more information on the topic, since I wasn't.

More
07 Aug 2012 20:59 #26902 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic QuakeCon 2013
That's what they did.

The ones with the troubles were the first come first serve seats.

I had my seat selected and reserved before I showed up.. I had to wait 4 hours on Weds night to drop off my equipment since they hadn't opened the doors yet.

I think TwoDaves and JJSky waited something like 2-3 hours to get in? Showed up around Noon and got in by 3 or 4pm. They were moved to the fast line because they had seats waiting for them.

Action from Nexus LAN on the otherhand.. started waiting at 9am and got in around 9pm. He was not pre-paid.

More
07 Aug 2012 21:15 #26903 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic QuakeCon 2013
Plus they saw more users show up this year than previous years. In years past (from what i've heard) it never sold out and people weren't turned away. This year, i'd estimate hundreds didn't get in or were told to leave as there was going to be no more seats...
I anticipate the whole thing going to a BYOC (Prepaid select a seat) format much like all the Local LAN's we attend.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 Aug 2012 21:56 #26905 by Myndmelt
Okay, so I can understand that if so many people registered and actually paid for one of the packages those seats are taken. Do we know how many pre-reg/pre pays there were and what was the total # of seats? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious. It just seems like alot of fail to have people waiting 10 to 12 hours to be told to go home.

More
07 Aug 2012 22:04 #26906 by Twodavez
I don't remember exact figures, but i think it was 1500 Prepaid and 500 first come first served (FCFS) seats. Also, i think a few extra tables were set up when it was realized more than 500 people had showed up for the FCFS...
But i years past there were extra seats, so it was kinda odd that they sold out, and by so much! it was actually really encouraging to the LAN scene as we kept hearing it was going away...

More
07 Aug 2012 22:29 - 07 Aug 2012 22:30 #26907 by Sideout
Replied by Sideout on topic QuakeCon 2013
I think you would be better off on renting a vehicle and spiltting the cost of it and doing the driving rather than renting a charter bus unless you are talking a large number of people.

I rented a Chevy Traverse for a full 7 days for $190. That seats up to 8 with 3rd row but you could fit 5 people in it with a full load of luggage easily. It did decent on fuel as well. I would say about $150 to $175 a person would cover cost of a drive to Texas.

I know the 12 and 15 passanger vans are pretty exspensive to rent as well so you will need at least 8 or 9 to make it worth it.

As far as hotel's go - find people who are member of an honor point system , like Hilton because Hampton Inn's are in the Hilton family and you can get some good deals that way too. Plus if you use an honor members card you are guarenteed to get room versus other booking sites.

I am the LAN!!!!
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 22:30 by Sideout.

More
07 Aug 2012 22:40 #26908 by Twodavez
We, for some reason, went way over budget on fuel and we had a Ford Escape, which was PACKED to the top with JJ's 3 PC mods and large monitors. There was NO room for a 4th person or their stuff...
Not sure riding 3 deep in the back would be fun, but i guess if it saved enough money.

More
08 Aug 2012 00:29 #26910 by evildoer
If I dont do anything with QuakeCON next year, I'd be willing to split on a rental SUV.

I'm going back, I had a riot.

More
08 Aug 2012 00:33 #26911 by Twodavez

evildoer wrote: If I dont do anything with QuakeCON next year, I'd be willing to split on a rental SUV.

I'm going back, I had a riot.

Just heard from the Captian of my group that it was $162.00 a person for the car & Gas to go down and back. We also drove another 45 min each day to and from my aunt & Uncles place to save on sleeping.

I had a good time also, just needed to get away from my PC more and experience the events more. I thought it was a LAN, but it's more of a convention that people LAN at night when everything else is shut down.

More
08 Aug 2012 02:04 #26913 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic QuakeCon 2013
I know depending on cost that my brother and I want to go.

More
08 Aug 2012 05:55 #26919 by Twodavez
What cost would be the right price for you to go?
How would $150 a person for the ride? how about $250? what's the right price for most people? Right now I've got a 45 person Charter bus for $200/person. I'm still shopping for a rate, but that's what I've got. I'm sure we could find a van or something for a little cheaper, but if we can get enough people, i think a charter bus would be Pretty BALLER!!!\
obviously this is the VERY EARLY stages of planning, but i'm going back, just need to figure out who's going with me! ha ha

More
08 Aug 2012 06:11 #26920 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic QuakeCon 2013
so 250 with hotel?

Would the bus have the room for pc's?

Wes

More
08 Aug 2012 06:18 #26921 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic QuakeCon 2013

garfi3ld wrote: Would the bus have the room for pc's?

What about White Castle, strippers and the blow. If those don't fit, count me out!

This is actually a really good idea. Looks like everyone takes turns driving!

More
08 Aug 2012 14:57 - 08 Aug 2012 15:05 #26932 by cytog64
Replied by cytog64 on topic QuakeCon 2013
I was considering Chartering a bus from Cleveland (through Cbus, Dayton, and Cinci) to Dallas. The company most people in my area use is lakefront www.lakefrontlines.com/

Let me know if you go much farther with this idea.

Let's see....during the 23 hour drive from Cleveland, Team Waffle Train ate Waffle House, Taco Bell, Chinese Buffet, plus a variety of Gas station junk food.

A bus would be better than the fart torture chamber that our rental van became. Poor Sedris in the back has scars for life because those rear windows could only be opened by the driver. I got it down to a science, about 5 seconds and he would be shouting curse words at me.

See:

Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 15:05 by cytog64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
08 Aug 2012 16:18 #26935 by Twodavez
The only quote i've gotten so far is $8,050.00 for a 49 person bus. If i remember correctly, there is alot of room underneath for storage of PC's, but we'd have to confirm how much space everyone actually gets.
If we only fill 40 of the 49 seats (having extra's for coolers, games, and monitors) it would be $200 per person. This ONLY includes travel down there. We could try to get a block of rooms at a surrounding hotel, or just let everyone figure that out on their own. I think a 2 bed room at the hotel where QC is at was $150.00 a night. We'd arrive around 9 am thursday morning and leave around 4 or 5 sunday morning, so i'd anticipate only needing a hotel room for thursday and Friday nights. I'd assume the bus would be available to be loaded/slept in from midnight till 4 or 5 am sunday morning. But obviously those details could be worked through.
I'll see if i can get any more competitive quotes, but that's what i have so far. This is leaving form Fort Wayne, IN by the way...

More
08 Aug 2012 16:43 #26938 by Myndmelt
Yeah I don't know, I mean if it's going to cost a few hundred just to get there and back, plus hotel stays, and if the travel isn't comfortable 17-20 hours is going to be pretty miserable. Now not sure if that would be worth it. I guess I will see what comes about next year. There is always the Million Man Lan that would be alot closer.

More
09 Aug 2012 02:31 - 09 Aug 2012 02:33 #26948 by Plague
So looking at this from my spot. 2 people going.

$200 X 2 = $400 + 2nights at $150 = $700 for driving and sleeping, not counting food for those days and whatever the cost is for QuakeCon itself. So I assume I would looking at $1,000 for the trip. Might be doable, but little over what I was thinking, but remember I don't take trips like this at all normally, so $1,000 might be reasonable, I just don't know.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2012 02:33 by Plague.

More
09 Aug 2012 03:36 #26952 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic QuakeCon 2013
still much cheaper than a flight not to mention having room for PC's

:)

Also hotel rooms can be split

Wes

More
09 Aug 2012 04:23 #26953 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: still much cheaper than a flight not to mention having room for PC's

Yeah, most people shove 5-6 people in those rooms. I'd be willing to split it 4 ways, so that's only $75 each person then another 200 for the bus. The nice thing is we wouldn't have to drive and i'm sure we could find something even cheaper to say, especially if we have a bus that would drive us to and from,or get a taxi or something...
For two people it's going to be pricey, but for one person to scratch this off their bucket list for only $275, that doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. We spent $30 a day for food/Bawls. So that puts the cost for one person at
$200+75+$150 = $425 which isn't that bad considering that's pretty much the minimum you'd need to spend...

P.S. i think this price for the bus is on the high end, so we'll see what else shakes out. plus we'd have to find 40 people in the area to go, i'm looking into a 38 person bus that we might just need to get 25-30 people to fill it, i'd like a little extra wiggle room!

More
09 Aug 2012 06:23 #26955 by evildoer
In 2012, QuakeCon rate was $154.99 per night. Taxes are high too. With taxes at a rate of $189.99 I spent $228 / night on my room. Yes, I was screwed.

More
09 Aug 2012 08:47 #26957 by Plague

Twodavez wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: still much cheaper than a flight not to mention having room for PC's

Yeah, most people shove 5-6 people in those rooms. I'd be willing to split it 4 ways, so that's only $75 each person then another 200 for the bus. The nice thing is we wouldn't have to drive and i'm sure we could find something even cheaper to say, especially if we have a bus that would drive us to and from,or get a taxi or something...
For two people it's going to be pricey, but for one person to scratch this off their bucket list for only $275, that doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. We spent $30 a day for food/Bawls. So that puts the cost for one person at
$200+75+$150 = $425 which isn't that bad considering that's pretty much the minimum you'd need to spend...

P.S. i think this price for the bus is on the high end, so we'll see what else shakes out. plus we'd have to find 40 people in the area to go, i'm looking into a 38 person bus that we might just need to get 25-30 people to fill it, i'd like a little extra wiggle room!

I am cool with it, I just need to start putting some back now and at the start of next year so I can afford the trip when it comes time. The cheapskate in me just has to question it hehe.

More
09 Aug 2012 16:08 #26961 by Twodavez
No problem Plague. I do know we spent $162 per person to rent a Ford Escape and to fill the tank the 7 times we had to for the trip. For three people the price was ok, but someone had to stay awake the whole time to drive, which is only hard around 3 am - 6am...
An extra $40 to not have to worry about driving, to be able to watch movies/bring a gaming system on the bus to play that and know i can sleep without having to help keep the driver awake seems like a STEAL to me.
Again this is the early planning stages and everyone would be able to reserve their own hotel rooms whenever they'd like, so you could shop around till your hearts content to find the deal that works for you. Just know that passing out in the LAN area is highly frowned upon.
Lets keep the questions/comments coming as it helps others realize the reality of making this trip happen with a large group.

More
09 Aug 2012 18:14 #26963 by Twodavez
Also, Just quickly looked up a 12 passanger van from Budget Rent-a-car.
Van cost is $775.88 (Unlimited miles with taxes and fees included.)
It gets about 10-15 MPG. 1020 miles to Dallas / 12.5MPG = 81 Gallons one way x $3.50 a gallon (today's prices) $285.60

So $775.88 + 571.20 (Round trip gas) = 1,347.08
If we took 8 people, ensuring plenty of room for PC's and comfort = 1,347.08 / 8 = $168.39 per person, and one person has to drive the whole time or we pay extra to authorize additional drivers. It's a little cheaper if we only have 8 people who want to go.

Again it'll just all depend on how many people we can get and how much style we wanna drive in. I know of another group from Fort Wayne that went down this year of 4 people, so i think if we really tried this, we could get enough people to go...

P.S. Entrance into QC is free, but for $30 you can get a reserved seat, which is the only way i'd do it, just ask Action about his 20 hour wait to get into the LAN!

The following user(s) said Thank You: HaleyM2012

We have 1340 guests and no members online

supportus