Torchlight Discussion

More
28 Mar 2010 17:59 #3015 by NitrosDragon
In light of the recent sale, I'm sure there's enough of us interested in discussing the game.

Diablo clone, no doubt. I knew right away when I heard the music that it was good ol' Matt Uelmen.

I haven't tried the level editor yet, but I suspect it will be fun. And what's this talk of an upcoming multiplayer addition? Anyone know anything about that?

Eh, eh? :woohoo:

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2010 17:42 #3081 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
It's been able to pull Don's attention away from MMOs, its gotta be pretty good.

More
29 Mar 2010 19:01 #3084 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
i picked it up but havnt tried it

Wes

More
29 Mar 2010 20:02 #3091 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Been playing the poop out of it. Got a lvl 9 Destroyer.

More
29 Mar 2010 22:48 #3100 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Played it. Loved it aaaaaand Forgot about it. I just havn't played in a while but while I was going hard I think I was level 16 or something.

Didn't feel like a clone to me but that cause I never played Diablo.

Might go back at some point but I'm kinda waiting for multiplayer at the moment hopefully this year?!?!?!

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
30 Mar 2010 00:43 #3103 by NitrosDragon
Tim wrote:

I never played Diablo.

:flabbergastedsmiley:

If you like Torchlight, you'll love Diablo II. I say that very confidently.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
30 Mar 2010 15:47 #3111 by Tim
I know I know but Tourchlight is sooo pretty. Diablo must look like ass now.

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
30 Mar 2010 16:03 #3113 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Yeah, mainly because of the fact that the highest res is 800x600 in D2.

More
30 Mar 2010 22:02 #3124 by NitrosDragon
Importance: Story>Graphics

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
30 Mar 2010 23:39 #3125 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Lol, if you can tell what's going on. Diablo II looks like a blur on my 1080p monitor. :(

More
31 Mar 2010 00:02 - 31 Mar 2010 00:03 #3126 by Tim
NitrosDragon wrote:

Woah! woah! woah! That's an incredibly "Console" statement to make. I though all you PC guys cared about was graphics graphics and more graphics oh and dedicated servers :P

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2010 00:03 by Tim.

More
31 Mar 2010 01:57 #3128 by NitrosDragon
Tim wrote:

NitrosDragon wrote:

Woah! woah! woah! That's an incredibly "Console" statement to make. I though all you PC guys cared about was graphics graphics and more graphics oh and dedicated servers :P

My only consoles are my 360 and my (borrowed) SNES. I play neither of them very often. :S

My equation was in reference to PC games anyway. :P

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
31 Mar 2010 03:26 #3129 by Lersar
!WARNING! Code 3451784b: Increased probability of endless debatable topic subject console versus PC. This is not a drill. Again, this is NOT a drill. Please, step away from the keyboard and hug your respective platform. Do not panic, remain calm, board officials are responding to the matter immediately.

More
31 Mar 2010 12:51 - 31 Mar 2010 12:51 #3130 by NitrosDragon
Lersar wrote:

!WARNING! Code 3451784b: Increased probability of endless debatable topic subject console versus PC. This is not a drill. Again, this is NOT a drill. Please, step away from the keyboard and hug your respective platform. Do not panic, remain calm, board officials are responding to the matter immediately.

I lol'd. :woohoo:
Lersar is my hero, +1 karma.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
Last edit: 31 Mar 2010 12:51 by NitrosDragon.

More
31 Mar 2010 14:49 #3131 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
NitrosDragon wrote:

Lersar wrote:

I lol'd. :woohoo:
Lersar is my hero, +1 karma.

ditto :P

More
31 Mar 2010 16:15 #3136 by Lersar
:laugh:

But yes, I've heard the game is pretty good. I wish DON would find his way to the thread and let us know what he thinks, everytime I see him on Steam he's been playing Torchlight. Someday I'll get to playing it, and I'm excited to, since its similar to Diablo. Did I hear that it doesn't currently have multiplayer?

More
31 Mar 2010 17:26 #3142 by Tim
Lol at the warning from Lersar. Pretty much the geeky equivalent to Goodwin's Law.

Sorry wasn't trying to light the fire just maybe blow on the coals a bit :)

You would be correct Adam. Torchlight doesn't currently have anything beyond a single player game but word on the street is that Runic games is using their single player cash to fund development of the Torchlight MMO.

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
31 Mar 2010 21:09 #3147 by Leonresevil2
Multiplayer patch, add-on, or separate game?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
31 Mar 2010 23:07 #3153 by MurDerFace
Replied by MurDerFace on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
I thought I would take the time hope on this topic seeing how I just put in over 60 hours of game play which it may not all be logged ill explain further down...that is just on one toon I have.

So many have noticed you could call it a diablo clone after seeing who created it. A great one at that. It is a point and click hack and slash game. I strongly believe that there will be an online/multiplayer version out soon. It is a low cost game but honestly it’s not a cheaply made game. There is not a lot of option to it such as there is one main town you start in and you venture off on from there going through dungeons that you do not choose u kind of just end up there. Only having three class types was a setback. The quests keep you going and they did implement set items, rare, unique, very rare, etc with open sockets and drops to socket them with. They also have npc's that will upgrade your stuff with random results.

If you like the play style of Diablo I really believe you will love this game. Adam is correct I have pretty much dropped every game to play this as I am obsessed with the play style of Diablo. They do have mods you can download to enhance the game but I STRONGLY DO NOT RECCOMEND YOU DOWNLOAD ANY OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT THE RATING OR DISCRIPTION IS. I have hit a high level with my destroyer and had around 60 game hours and because of a conflict with a mod....still have no idea what one....I had to reinstall the game and start over...again DONT DO IT...ANY OF THEM. Aside from all that I have had nothing but fun mass killing things and finding stuff since they did input magic find. After a few minutes it’s not hard to tell who made the game. Really it all comes down to what game genres catch your interest....I hope to have a full review posted tomorrow, time pending.

Werd up home slice

More
31 Mar 2010 23:07 - 31 Mar 2010 23:11 #3154 by MurDerFace
i cannot correctly answer that but i would think some type of addon/patch unless they really want to rework the game with new content and allowing it to actually be considered a full mmo with more then three class types and a more open map with more room to choose where you want to travel too and possibly a bigger/added towns

Werd up home slice
Last edit: 31 Mar 2010 23:11 by MurDerFace.

More
05 Apr 2010 02:56 #3296 by Leonresevil2
You do have a good point there, as the way the game is currently established, I don't know that multiplayer being tagged on would work. The limited areas and character options would make a possible MMO very repetitive for players IMO.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if the demo on steam is anything like the full game. I have tried it, and I hate to say that I don't really like it. I want to, but I don't. I loved Diablo and still do somewhat, but I have a lot of issues with what I played of Torchlight, and I don't want to be "that guy" and complain all about it when most of you guys seem to adore it. I can see how it's likable as a game, but I think I'm a bigger fan of the style of Titan Quest. If anyone wants to hear what I dislike about Torchlight, I'm willing to tell, but I don't want to turn this forum bad; to each his own tastes.
In similar discussion, I tried the demo of Depths of Peril, which is a bit different as an ARPG, and I did enjoy it decently.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
06 Apr 2010 01:50 #3377 by NitrosDragon
Leonresevil2 wrote:

If anyone wants to hear what I dislike about Torchlight, I'm willing to tell, but I don't want to turn this forum bad; to each his own tastes.

Do tell! :)

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
07 Apr 2010 06:35 #3432 by Leonresevil2
NitrosDragon wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote:

If anyone wants to hear what I dislike about Torchlight, I'm willing to tell, but I don't want to turn this forum bad; to each his own tastes.

Do tell! :)

Hidden wall of text, long, and personal thoughts and opinions:
Warning: Spoiler!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
08 Apr 2010 07:51 #3529 by Webbstre
Replied by Webbstre on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Hi people. I run the biggest Torchlight Fansite ( here if you are interested) and this popped up on my google alerts so I thought I would clear up a couple things.

Tim wrote:

You would be correct Adam. Torchlight doesn't currently have anything beyond a single player game but word on the street is that Runic games is using their single player cash to fund development of the Torchlight MMO.

Actually, the MMO is completely funded by Perfect World, and the single player game was just a bi-product of the MMO's production. It will use the same game engine and art assets, so it doesn't set them back at all, plus it got the Torchlight name out there.

However, rumor has it (mostly because of an almost confirmation by Travis Baldree and Max Schaefer at GDC this year) that they are using their own funds (from the single player game that Perfect World doesn't own) to develop either an expansion or sequel WITH multiplayer that would be released before the MMO. Likely it would be some kind of LAN or other simple connectivity, so as to allow for mods but not interfere with the MMO.

As for the guy who had the mod problem - yes, some people have problems where they use or remove a mod and their game doesn't load. There are easy ways to fix that though, and if it was just a mod interfering I am 100% sure we could have saved your character. Also, the best way to avoid mod conflicts is to simply use a little community-made program called TorchLeech to install mods and check for conflicts for you.

More
08 Apr 2010 15:35 #3541 by Lersar
Thanks for the info Webbstre! With so many fans here on the forums, you should definitely stick around. :)

More
08 Apr 2010 22:27 #3563 by Webbstre
Replied by Webbstre on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
I've kinda everywhere thanks to google alerts, but at the very least I am subscribed to this thread now :P

More
08 Apr 2010 22:48 #3567 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Torchlight Discussion
Webbstre wrote:

I've kinda everywhere thanks to google alerts, but at the very least I am subscribed to this thread now :P

ding

now we have another visitor for the day

Wes

More
08 Apr 2010 23:50 - 08 Apr 2010 23:51 #3580 by MurDerFace
i ran them using torchleech and it was an issue big enough i couldnt save my toon whatever it was after researching was common with a map extension mod that i was using and there were many complaints with it that i just didnt see that part so i took it out. After taking all mods out to recheck my game the maps that where standard in size where still not loading at all, all i had was a yellow screen with zero detail and half my toon.

Werd up home slice
Last edit: 08 Apr 2010 23:51 by MurDerFace.

More
02 May 2010 11:21 #5245 by MurDerFace
just caped out my alchemist and vanquisher....lol i hit level 400 on both of them about 20 min ago and i hit lvl 367 with my destroyer as well.......im exhusted

Werd up home slice

More
02 May 2010 15:23 #5256 by Lersar
very nice!

We have 1547 guests and no members online

supportus