So you do the smart thing, you backup your data from your laptop and your home PC to an external or network drive and go on with life feeling confident that you have gone well and above what most people do. For the most part, you did. What about when you’re traveling, have you seen how much abuse a device can take when on the go? For some people, and I know I’m one of them, some of the data you carry with you while traveling is more important than the laptop or device that you actually carry it on. In that situation you need a way to not have to worry about your data, no matter the situation, and to have a guarantee to back it up as well. The folks over at ioSafe focus specifically on this crowd. Not only do they offer products that are according to them build to handle almost anything, but they back it up with data recovery if something does happen. Today we are going to take a look at that Rugged Portable hard drive to see what all of the fuss is about, without any more buildup, let’s dig in.
Product Name: ioSafe Rugged Portable
Review Sample Provided by: ioSafe
Review by: Wes
Pictures by: Wes
Data Recovery Service (DRS) and No-Hassle™ Warranty
• 1 Year Data Recovery Service (DRS) included – one time, any reason, no questions asked
• 1 Year No-Hassle™ Warranty included – replacement or repair for any defects or damage
• DRS includes accidental deletion, any damage, disasters or hardware failure
• Up to $2500 included for third party forensic recovery service if needed for DRS (HDD versions)
• Up to $5000 included for third party forensic recovery service if needed for DRS (SSD versions)
• 3 and 5 year upgrades for DRS and No-Hassle™ Warranty plans available at www.iosafe.com
Construction and Physical Security Speci?cations
• Full Metal Jacket™ Technology – CNC machined enclosure from a solid billet of aluminum (Al) or titanium (Ti) alloy. Crush resistant to up to 5000 lbs (Ti) and 2500 lbs (Al) yet weighs as little as a pound (Al).
• Full Suspension Drive™ Technology – Full suspension in all six axes of motion. Optimized for data loss protection from drop and shock of 20’ drops (SSD version) and 10’ drops (500 GB HDD version, 1TB HDD requires optional drive skin) per MIL-STD-810G Method 516.5.
• HydroSafe™ Technology – Waterproof yet heat conducting barrier to protect against data loss up to 10’ for 3 days in fresh water or salt water (aluminum version)
or 30’ for 3 days (titanium version) per IP68. Protects data even when USB plug is in. No requirement for a connector cap to retain data protection.
• ChemSafe™ Technology – Full immersion in diesel fuel, oils, hydraulic ?uids, aircraft fuels, 12” depth for 1 hour with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Method 504
• EnviroSafe™ Technology – Continuous exposure to UV, blowing sand, blowing dust, rain, salt fog, icing or freezing rain, 24 hours with no data loss per MIL-STD-810G Methods 505.4, 506.4, 509.4 and 510.
• AltiSafe™ Technology – High altitude operation. 15K ft. (Alum.) and 30K ft. (SSD and Ti.) rated altitudes per MIL-STD-810G Method 500.4
• Theft Resistant Kensington® Lock compatible slot solid metal construction – theft protection
Software Speci?cations (included but not required for use)
• Genie Timeline™ Pro Full Version ($60 Value) Award winning backup software. Simple, block level, open ?le and OS Continuous Data Protection (CDP) software for Windows users. Disaster recovery for entire hard drive including programs and settings, roll back and AES encryption features for the ultimate protection. Registration required at www.iosafe.com to validate purchase prior to downloading software and install code.
• Apple® Mac® TimeMachine® Supported – Apple Time Machine fully supported. Reformat of device may be required. Simple instructions online at www.iosafe.com
• TrueCrypt® AES-256 Encryption Compatible - Open source, encryption software. FIPS 140-2, ISO/IEC 10118-3:2004. PC, Mac and Linux compatible.
5400 HDDs available, 500GB – 1TB capacities
• SSD capacities from 120GB-600GB
• Billet-machined Aluminum (1lb.) and Titanium (1.5 lb.) enclosures (3.9"W x 5.7"L x 1.0"H)
• Multi-platform compatibility with Mac & PC/Windows
• USB 3.0 (compatible with USB 2.0 computers)
Inside The Box
• ioSafe Rugged Portable + DRS
• USB 3.0 Cable (USB 3.0 version),
• USB Micro-B Y-Cable (for low powered USB 2.0 ports)
• Owners Manual and Warranty
• Intel Pentium II 350 Mhz-compatible or Mac G3 processor & greater
• For USB 3.0/USB 2.0 speeds, the system must support applicable speci?cations
• Operating: 0 to 35°C (32 to 95°F) for HDD versions
• Operating: 0 to 40°C (32 to 104°F) for SSD versions
• Non-operating: -40°C to 65°C (-40 to 149°F) all versions
• Operating Humidity: 5% - 80% (non-condensing) all versions
• Non-operating Humidity: 100%, Full immersion, 10 feet, 3 days (Aluminum version)
• Non-operating Humidity: 100%, Full immersion, 30 feet, 3 days (Titanium version)