What was the first PC you played games on?

• L0rdG1gabyt3
  • L0rdG1gabyt3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • The character limit on this box is too small for m
More
23 Mar 2012 19:26 #24185 by L0rdG1gabyt3
I was just curious to see what everyone started gaming on, and what you played. Im not talking about C64s or Apple IIe though. I mean PCs. Probably DOS/Windows for most of us.

My first computer that I fondly remember playing games on back in 1990 was a 486SX33. 33MHz, 4MB RAM, 540MB HDD. We had DOS 6.1, (after I upgraded it from 5.0) and Windows 3.1. We had an SVGA card, and a 13" CRT. I saw the paperwork on it once, and my dad spent almost $4k on it! But it was top of the line back then!

I used to really get into SimCity2000 and Wolfenstein 3D. Always enjoyed a round or two of Chips Challenge and SkiFree though!

Used that machine all the way up to Win98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2012 19:33 #24187 by Dreyvas
Ms. Pac-Man on Commodore 64 >_>

More
23 Mar 2012 19:42 #24188 by Davey_Boy

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: I was just curious to see what everyone started gaming on, and what you played. Im not talking about C64s or Apple IIe though. I mean PCs. Probably DOS/Windows for most of us.

My first computer that I fondly remember playing games on back in 1990 was a 486SX33. 33MHz, 4MB RAM, 540MB HDD. We had DOS 6.1, (after I upgraded it from 5.0) and Windows 3.1. We had an SVGA card, and a 13" CRT. I saw the paperwork on it once, and my dad spent almost $4k on it! But it was top of the line back then!

I used to really get into SimCity2000 and Wolfenstein 3D. Always enjoyed a round or two of Chips Challenge and SkiFree though!

Used that machine all the way up to Win98!

I'm assuming mine was about exactly like this lol I was born in 1990 :P BUT when I played computer games I was like 8-9 and my mom got a good deal on an old computer. I can only assume it was about like that one cause I remember it being an old windows. PLUS Chips Challenge and SkiFree were DA BOMB-DIGGITY!!!!

More
23 Mar 2012 21:12 #24193 by renegade
1st computer would be Vic 20 playing Paratrooper.

1st PC would be an IBM 386 and I think it was a Sierra game maybe Kings Quest.

More
23 Mar 2012 21:34 #24194 by Teh_tourist
I don't remember what the specs were but it ran Windows 98, I didn't know you could get computers anywhere other than a school until my dad started setting up our NEC. It came with Putt Putt Saves The Zoo and a Freddy The Fish game that I played a couple times. Then I found out that it came with Total Annihilation, the RTS from 1997. I started playing that game for 8+ hours at a time.

More
23 Mar 2012 22:07 #24196 by Slash_Fury
Aww yeah, nostalgia time.

First memory: in preschool, I played some sort of Bernstein Bears math game on a computer that I can't remember.

First computer: parents bought us a Macintosh Power PC 6100 upgraded to 32MB RAM. I played soooo much Mac Theme Park, Doom, and PGA Tour '95 on that thing. Other favorites included Laborynth of Time, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (or something), and Syndicate. For Christmas one year, I was soooo stoked 'cause we got a 56K modem, which was way better than whatever POS it came with (I want to say 24k baud, but not 100% sure).

More
23 Mar 2012 22:10 - 23 Mar 2012 22:11 #24198 by Twodavez

Teh_tourist wrote: I don't remember what the specs were but it ran Windows 98, I didn't know you could get computers anywhere other than a school until my dad started setting up our NEC. It came with Putt Putt Saves The Zoo and a Freddy The Fish game that I played a couple times. Then I found out that it came with Total Annihilation, the RTS from 1997. I started playing that game for 8+ hours at a time.

OMG, i still know the "Go to the zoo, zoo, with the Kangaroo, roo, welcome to the Zoo" Daveyo's little brother Veind used to play Putt Putt goes to the Zoo all the time. and i remember Freddy fish too!

Oh and for me, my uncle who was the tech of the family was, and still is, a MAC head, so i got a MAC when all my friends were playing Doom, Decent, & Wolfenstein on their Acer's back when you didn't even load Windows, but used Acer's OS. :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
Last edit: 23 Mar 2012 22:11 by Twodavez.

More
26 Mar 2012 07:23 #24254 by mc_disease
I'm going to be showing my noobness here but, here we go:

The first PC game I ever played was PGA Tour 96 on my teacher's computer in sixth grade. My parents weren't too well off when I was growing up, so I didn't have access to a PC at home until early 2004. We got a Dell Dimension Desktop 2400 I think it was? It had a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4, 512MB RAM, and integrated graphics. The first game I remember playing on it was Unreal Tournament, GOTY Edition. I also played Half-Life on it. Both games being older at the time, they ran at max settings, even on integrated graphics. I then bought Silent Hill 3, as I loved it on PS2 and thought "for 10 bucks? Why not?" So, I go home and install it, and it tells me I have nowhere near a powerful enough video card to run the game. At the time, I didn't even know what that meant.

A few years later, my girlfriend at the time and I purchased Acer Aspire laptops. Each had Windows Vista, which was later "upgraded" to XP, an AMD Turion 2.0 Ghz CPU, 1GB of RAM, and an ATI X1100 video card, which was still integrated graphics because it shared 256 MB of the system RAM. False advertising if you ask me; it technically didn't meet the minimum requirement for Vista with the sharing RAM. Even at this much later date, I didn't know shit about buying computers, much less about building them myself. They sounded good to us, so we bought them. I did manage to run Portal on it, and Half-Life 2, but not much else. Even Max Payne 1 chugged a dick, and we won't talk about the hangs I got in Max Payne 2. I somehow completed both games on that laptop though, overheating issues and all. Around this time, I learned how to install Windows myself, format, and eventually became fascinated with PCs in general. Now I'm the one my family and non-tech savvy friends go to for computer help. I love every minute of it.

More
29 Mar 2012 07:53 - 29 Mar 2012 07:57 #24353 by Rhythmatic
My first computer was a Compaq Presario 5000Z. [img size=640x363]www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/20000922/5000.jpg[/img]

It had an AMD Athlon 800MHz, 30GB Seagate HD, a 16MB nVidia TNT2 (which I upgraded to a 64MB GeforceMX later on LOL HERP), 128MB of DDR PC133 SDRAM (got more so it had a blazing 256MB), 17" CRT, CD-ROM, etc. I remember those JBL Platinum speakers were actually pretty damn good, haha. I didn't know anything about computers when my parents bought it, and unfortunately they were suckered into buying that thing for something over $3,000! :sick: The guy even talked them into letting me get Microsoft Flight Simulator and a Gravis Joystick, which was my first encounter with not being able to run a game because of hardware limitations. Fortunately I also got Roller Coaster Tycoon and played the shit out of that instead. When Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out with a demo, I discovered that the 'ol TNT2 just wasn't cutting it and bought a 64MB GeforceMX somesuch. It wasn't much better. Wish I'd have just bought the Geforce4. Still, foooond memories of that old beast.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 07:57 by Rhythmatic.

More
29 Mar 2012 17:16 #24358 by drpain
I had a Mac Classic that my Dad gave me and I played lovely titles like Oregon Trail, Kitty Shaver, Glider and various other Shareware titles of the time. Still actually have the computer at my parent's house and I'm sure it would still boot up to this day.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
29 Mar 2012 17:32 #24359 by vialdragon
Oregon trail was one of the first I played on a school PC. Beyond that was DOOM on my stepfathers PC that was running an early version of windows 3.1. In an attempt to mod DOOM I completely wiped the hard drive. I got a red butt over that fiasco. I was then told I had to fix it or to expect to keep a red butt all week. Long story short. I fixed it. I was between 8 and 12. Those years are quite hazy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

More
29 Mar 2012 18:46 #24361 by jj_Sky5000
I dont ever remeber play games on ealry version of windows, Porbley because of teh Console wars began.

If you go back to basic, I had a timax-1000 personal computer play frogger from a tape cassette and I p also played a golf game & a dugeon game on our radio Shack TR-80's at school whick i set up our first computer lab in the 80's

More
29 Mar 2012 19:03 #24362 by Reaper
Commodore PC-10 ... Yeah baby!
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

More
29 Mar 2012 21:18 #24371 by Twodavez

Reaper wrote: Commodore PC-10 ... Yeah baby!

Wow, i just love that you had to find the picture on a website called "Old-Computers.com". Ha ha
And after seeing JJ's post, i remember going to the library and getting the big floppy disks with ghost busters on it and playing that in the Apple IIe PC's in their computer lab... good times goign to the library. I also remember listening to Records on the rows of record players they had. And i'm not even "That" old (looking at JJ) ha ha

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
29 Mar 2012 22:13 #24376 by Arxon

TRS-80 nuff said.

More
29 Mar 2012 23:12 - 29 Mar 2012 23:13 #24380 by Plague

IBM Personal Computer 8080, and I have still have it.

I even have 2 hard drives for it, a 10MB and 20MB, it can run windows 3.1. LOL
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 23:13 by Plague.

More
30 Mar 2012 01:02 #24389 by Wingless92
Some Packard Bell that was shit. I can't even remember what the hell it was. Probably and a Pentium 2. Not sure, It was back in early 90's. Always did my gaming on consoles. Then I switched to PC's and I won't go back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3, Arxon

We have 1576 guests and one member online

supportus