Windows 8.....

More
01 Mar 2012 21:03 #23462 by renegade
Windows 8..... was created by renegade
So anyone that has tried Windows 8 post up your thoughts.

I have it installed on a laptop and well yeah, far as I am concerned MS has again done the every other version sucks syndrome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2012 21:27 #23463 by Teh_tourist
Replied by Teh_tourist on topic Re: Windows 8.....
I'm hoping to install it on my laptop soon, and it looks really promising to me. What specifically aren't y you liking about it?

More
01 Mar 2012 21:57 #23467 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Re: Windows 8.....
it seems to be really focused on tablet user and not desktop pc or lappys

More
01 Mar 2012 22:09 #23468 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Windows 8.....

jj_Sky5000 wrote: it seems to be really focused on tablet user and not desktop pc or lappys

Yeah, this.

More
01 Mar 2012 22:13 #23469 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: Windows 8.....
The OS seems dumbed down like it should be on some starter kids PC or a console. Things are way hidden for finding control panel, shutdown etc. Lack of a normal start menu / start button. The metro interface is designed for touch screens and if you dont have one your at a disadvantage with a mouse. Pretty much the whole OS is designed for touch screens and normal Laptops and DT's with mouse are at a disadvantage. They have taken the Windows phone OS and merged it into 1 OS that is supposed to work for Phone, Tablet, and PC and well to be this = fail. So far of the 7 people that have seen it that I talked to only 1 liked it, and that 1 person was a windows 7 phone user that LOVES his phone thinks its the best phone OS period.

More
01 Mar 2012 22:15 #23470 by renegade
Unless there are major radical changes from the preview to the finial product, and from past previews of MS OS's pretty much what we see is what we will get but with a bit more polish. So I will be sticking with Win 7 for as long as I can hold on to it, and will take a look at win 9 when that comes around and MS gets their heads outta the sand.

More
01 Mar 2012 23:11 #23471 by Teh_tourist
So what's wrong with just going to the desktop and using it like you always have?
The Metro interface makes it easy to get things done quickly, or focus on a single application. But you can still load into the standard desktop for multitasking.

More
01 Mar 2012 23:57 #23472 by renegade
If you could turn off metro and have a normal desktop direct in etc then fine but you cant. And even then the desktop is loaded with functions that are designed for touchscreens and not normal mouse/keyboard. Having to go to upper or lower right to get a slide out menu to then be able to off the PC is cumbersome. I do hope they put in alot of help/training cause as is its hard to find shit.

Call me old school but I dont like this merging tablet culture with my desktop os culture.

More
02 Mar 2012 00:25 #23473 by Teh_tourist
That sounds exactly like opening the start menu to select shut down...

Who knows, maybe I'll put it on my laptop and hate it. But it seems like they're not really taking any functionality away from you, just adding more options.

More
02 Mar 2012 01:08 #23474 by renegade
I guess in a way yes but its cumbersome. Until you have used it hands on its hard to comment about it IMO. Once you have you will either like it or hate it I think. So far I am at 6 hate 1 likes from people I know.

More
02 Mar 2012 02:55 #23476 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: Windows 8.....
Had it on my laptop for an hour uninstalled and put win7 back on. In other words I hated it.

More
02 Mar 2012 02:58 #23477 by THUMPer
Replied by THUMPer on topic Re: Windows 8.....
kernel version 6.2! OMGBBQ

More
02 Mar 2012 03:04 #23478 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Windows 8.....
Been running the Dev preview on the laptop since it came out. It's nice for a laptop but I'm not sure about my day to day PC. Give it time though. You can't hate something after 1 day of using it, well, I guess you can, lol.

More
02 Mar 2012 03:11 #23479 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Windows 8.....

renegade wrote: So far of the 7 people that have seen it that I talked to only 1 liked it, and that 1 person was a windows 7 phone user that LOVES his phone thinks its the best phone OS period.

Im a WP7 user, and I really LOVE it, but when I saw what they were doing with Win8, I wasnt happy. On a tablet im sure it will be ultra smooth and very appropriate. Ive played with the Dev Preview, and wasnt really impressed with the implementation. I may give the new build a spin in a VM, but its not getting its own dedicated hardware for awhile.

More
02 Mar 2012 06:28 #23485 by renegade
Yeah I ran the dev for a few weeks on a machine hated it, hoped the preview would be better but still hate it. So yeah I got more then 1 day in it.

More
02 Mar 2012 18:22 #23495 by Teh_tourist
I did finally get it installed on my laptop last night, and it honestly didn't seem that bad to me.

After installation I found out that multitouch gestures fro my trackpad didn't work, so I couldn't do much in Metro. But I went to the desktop and it worked just like Windows 7, except no start button.

I only tried out one Metro app though, music. It took forever to load, and never ran smoothly.

But I really like the new file transfer dialog, and I feel like the desktop works just as well in Windows 8

More
03 Mar 2012 08:38 #23512 by renegade
This article on Win 8 pretty much sums up my feeling about it.

techreport.com/discussions.x/22562

More
06 Mar 2012 03:09 #23567 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Windows 8.....
I'm hoping if they do a business or enterprise version it will be like Windows 8 server on how the Metro UI isn't so in your face and just a simple control panel on your screen. I'm not a big fan either of the Metro UI and can see how it might work in the consumer markets but I don't see businesses or hospitals upgrading to this anytime soon.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
06 Mar 2012 23:26 #23624 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Windows 8.....
Microsoft knows about the major enterprise market it has, and they aren't going to let that slip just to please some consumers. They are heading more in the Apple direction, but I think they will make adjustments. They may support 7 and 8, as I don't think we have even gotten 7 SP2 so far?

Windows keeps a strong hold on enterprise by legacy program support, accessibility, programming freedom, and software support. If they break accessibility and legacy, they could lose to Linux breeds that have good support.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
07 Mar 2012 12:18 #23645 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Windows 8.....
Id say spend a little time learning how to use its features with just a mouse or touch-pad before you decide to 'hate it'.

channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Windows-Blog/Win...onsumer-Preview-Demo

More
07 Mar 2012 18:15 #23646 by renegade
Oh I have I used it for weeks when the dev version came out, gave the consumer version a shot, but still hate it.

More
07 Mar 2012 19:03 #23647 by Teh_tourist
I still don't mind it on my laptop. The lack of multitouch scrolling for my trackpad in Metro is frustrating, but I keep finding new things that I love in Windows 8. The new Task Manager is simply the best thing since sliced bread

We have 1298 guests and one member online

supportus