So is Eyefinity worth it?

More
15 Feb 2012 06:30 #22891 by Wooderson
What do you think guys is Eyefinity worth it? If you had the funds available would you go this route, and if so what hardware would you choose? Lets keep the suggestions on the reasonable side.

I kill CPU's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2012 06:58 #22892 by Wingless92
Yes and no. I did three monitor gaming for over a year and it was fun. But, there are few games that support it. From my own personal experience I would much rather have one large panel for gaming then three. That is why I bought the Dell 30in. Games look much better because of the quality of the screen along with it being an IPS panel. The huge 2560x1600 resolution doesn't hurt either.

More
15 Feb 2012 07:29 - 15 Feb 2012 07:45 #22893 by Nacelle
It would be really hard for me to go back to a single screen. Not only for games, but for general usage. Having all that real estate, makes working in multiple windows a breeze. There are a lot of games that don't work correctly with eyefinity. There also are quite a few that do. Some can be hacked into compliance with differing amounts of success. Right now, I'm playing The Old Republic in eyefinity. The minimap and chat are too far off to the side, but there is a hack program that brings it all back to the center screen. Pretty much all Source games run great as well as the The 2 most recent Battlefields. Oh yea, Eyefinity Mincecraft FTW. As far a what to buy... You want at least 2 graphics cards, the faster the better, and the more onboard memory the better. The 7970's have 2gb for a reason. If you can't put at least $700 towards just the cards, you might want to reconsider. Remember you're pushing 6.5 million pixels, where a single monitor is a little over 2 million. You can get away with "cheaping-out" with less demanding games. Just don't expect to play games like Battlefield without turning the settings WAY down. I don't know about about you, but what's the point if you can't have most of the cool looking features on?
Last edit: 15 Feb 2012 07:45 by Nacelle.

More
15 Feb 2012 11:38 #22905 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: So is Eyefinity worth it?

Nacelle wrote: It would be really hard for me to go back to a single screen. Not only for games, but for general usage. Having all that real estate, makes working in multiple windows a breeze. There are a lot of games that don't work correctly with eyefinity. There also are quite a few that do. Some can be hacked into compliance with differing amounts of success. Right now, I'm playing The Old Republic in eyefinity. The minimap and chat are too far off to the side, but there is a hack program that brings it all back to the center screen. Pretty much all Source games run great as well as the The 2 most recent Battlefields. Oh yea, Eyefinity Mincecraft FTW. As far a what to buy... You want at least 2 graphics cards, the faster the better, and the more onboard memory the better. The 7970's have 2gb for a reason. If you can't put at least $700 towards just the cards, you might want to reconsider. Remember you're pushing 6.5 million pixels, where a single monitor is a little over 2 million. You can get away with "cheaping-out" with less demanding games. Just don't expect to play games like Battlefield without turning the settings WAY down. I don't know about about you, but what's the point if you can't have most of the cool looking features on?

I would have to disagree with the two video card statement. I run eyefinity with a single 6950 2gig card and it runs just fine. BF3 yeah I had to step down the graphics settings from ulta to the next one down but other then that i really didn't notice a fps loss. I have yet to find a demanding game in eyefinity that this single card can't handle.

More
15 Feb 2012 16:42 - 15 Feb 2012 17:31 #22906 by Nacelle
I guess it really depends on what you expect to be able to run as far as settings go and your tolerance for low frame rate. Just for giggles I put BF3 all the way down on medium settings on Caspian Border. With 2 6970s @ 6048x1080 I was getting between 50 and 60 fps. With a single card I got between 30 and 40 fps. Playable, yes. Getting any of the bells and whistles, no.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2012 17:31 by Nacelle.

More
15 Feb 2012 18:06 #22907 by Wooderson
I have a 6950, and would buy another one if i do this. With the duel bios i could make them into 6970's which should be plenty for know. What about monitors I'm thinking 24". You can get 3 Asus monitors for $600, but i doubt the bezels are two thin. It's probably a 1/2" bezel. so that's an 1" gap between monitors. Is that about par for everyone?

I kill CPU's

More
15 Feb 2012 18:30 #22908 by garfi3ld
you can get those three monitors for less than that. Right now they have an Asus LED monitor for $159 shipped at newegg

Wes

More
15 Feb 2012 22:31 - 16 Feb 2012 05:13 #22914 by Nacelle
Another 6950 will be perfect. Not having thin bezels is no big deal. Your brain does an amazing job of filling in the gap. I don't even notice the gap when I'm playing. I went with 23" because they were only $150 each.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 05:13 by Nacelle.

More
16 Feb 2012 04:53 - 16 Feb 2012 05:02 #22933 by Arxon
You can't buy those cards anymore. They stopped producing them. The ones you can find online are NOT cheap.

spent about 3 hours looking for one and no luck.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 05:02 by Arxon.

More
16 Feb 2012 05:11 #22935 by Nacelle
???
newegg alone has 9 models of 6950 instock the momemt I wrote this. You don't need the exact model for crossfire to work. You onlly need to be in the same family, any 6900.

More
16 Feb 2012 05:47 #22940 by Wooderson
Thanks for all the great advice. I doubt I will go through with it this year (probably next tax season). I'm already doing a upgrade that will cost around a grand. When I thought about it there were more performance related components I need to do now. That just means next year that's all more the reason to give Eyefinity a try.

I kill CPU's

More
16 Feb 2012 07:13 #22946 by Twodavez
I don't have 3 screens, but i do have two that i'm running on my old GTX 260, and i couldn't imagine doing school work or just general web browsing with out the dual monitors. I'm watching a movie and checking all the blogs at one time. It's GREAT...
Good luck with the 3 screens, I couldn't see spending the money on such a set up, but that's just me...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
16 Feb 2012 07:16 - 16 Feb 2012 07:19 #22948 by Arxon

Nacelle wrote: ???
newegg alone has 9 models of 6950 instock the momemt I wrote this. You don't need the exact model for crossfire to work. You onlly need to be in the same family, any 6900.

He was talkin about the cards that can be flashed to the 6970.

www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-dis...6970-flash-info.html
Last edit: 16 Feb 2012 07:19 by Arxon.

More
16 Feb 2012 07:46 #22955 by Nacelle
I didn't realize they changed. That would make the old one's worth more.

More
16 Feb 2012 07:47 #22956 by garfi3ld
the availability of those cards will start to go away and prices will go up now that the 7900 series cards are available

Wes

We have 1442 guests and one member online

supportus