Roku's Streaming Stick

More
05 Jan 2012 06:56 #22048 by chadkirchner
From Roku PR:

With the Roku Streaming Stick, consumers will be able to enjoy a Roku streaming experience that is fully integrated into their TVs. They’ll only need to use one remote for their TV and for streaming. There won’t be any cables or a power adaptor. And the best part is, when the Streaming Stick becomes outdated (and let’s face it, technology hardware needs to be upgraded as software evolves), consumers can simply purchase an inexpensive new Streaming Stick without having to replace their much more costly TVs.

This is sort of the anti-thesis to the rumor that Apple is actually going to make a television with integrated AppleTV. Television makers can go back to simply making good looking panels and leave the "intelligence" of the television up to the end consumer.

I think it's fantastic. Though I'm unsure how it'll work out.

blog.roku.com/blog/2012/01/04/roku_streaming_stick/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2012 07:13 #22049 by Wingless92
I am still doing the DVD thing. Have yet to go streaming only.

Kinda weird to, considering that I buy all my games on Steam, which is strictly digital.

Not sure how this would fit in though, pretty much everything streams Netflix nowadays.

More
05 Jan 2012 07:36 - 05 Jan 2012 07:37 #22050 by Brandonxcore

Apple is actually going to make a television with integrated AppleTV

...and they're going to make it outrageous, It will be atleast 2000$ or more, lol.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2012 07:37 by Brandonxcore.

More
05 Jan 2012 08:02 #22051 by chadkirchner
I'm okay with a more expensive television. Why? I'm sitting in front of a beautiful 27" super high resolution television right now from Apple. These displays look awesome.

I could see Apple making a 4k capable television or something way ahead of the curve.

Or they won't do it at all :)

More
05 Jan 2012 08:46 - 05 Jan 2012 20:38 #22052 by Wingless92
4k is cool but not going to catch on very quickly and here's why.

HDMI - It can't carry more than 1080x1200
A/V Receivers - Now you need a new one that will support 4k
New TV - People just bought 1080p TV's. They don't want to buy another one.

I am not saying that I don't like 4k. I plan on checking it out a CES with LG's display. The problem is replacing everything that people just bought.

On the other hand, I would be more inclined to go the 4k route then say

3D, which I hate, cause of the blurryness, eyestrain and headaches that I get from it.

If Apple does do a TV down the road it is going to have to kick some serious ass to even sell. The margin's on TV's are really low. And don't forget $2000 for LED TV is nothing. Look at the Samsung 8000 series of TV's. Probably some of the best, most high end LCD TV's out there. If Apple would do it, it would be around 5k I would predict.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2012 20:38 by Wingless92.

More
05 Jan 2012 09:40 #22054 by L0rdG1gabyt3
I was reading that the rumors about the Apple set were that they all were between 22"-27". While that is fine for a smaller space, the median size of TV's being sold is about 46". I highly doubt that most people can justify the 46-50" price on a 22-27" TV.

I'm sure it will sell, just because there is an Apple logo on it, and I'm sure it will probably have an aluminum shell... but still, its a lot for such a small TV, regardless of the resolution. Its part of the reason OLED hasn't picked up for the over 6" market.

More
05 Jan 2012 20:40 #22058 by Wingless92
OLED TV's are stupid, stupid awesome.

OLED tech as really come into it's own on the phone front. What better way to get a bad ass screen then OLED.

I know that LG is also bringing a 55' OLED panel to CES and I want to check it out. I saw one of the Sony ones years back and it was fantastic but small.

We have 1809 guests and one member online

supportus