Steam Broke

More
07 Dec 2011 07:10 #21410 by Twodavez
Steam Broke was created by Twodavez
So i noticed that steam didn't boot up tonight when i started my computer. When i tried to manually launch it, it gave me a 1316 Error... I googled it and now i'm reinstalling steam.
Not sure what happened. :-(

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2011 07:27 #21414 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Steam Broke
Hmmm, never ran into that error. I can honestly say that Steam is one program that runs really damn good on Windows. It updates itself and doesn't use a whole bunch of resources.

More
07 Dec 2011 07:36 #21415 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Steam Broke
It's been fixed, just never saw steam not working.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 Dec 2011 07:44 #21416 by Wingless92
Well that's good. I hate having to reinstall all of my games, takes forever.

More
07 Dec 2011 15:39 #21422 by Fildy
Replied by Fildy on topic Re: Steam Broke
If this ever happens again, try going to your steam folder and deleting clientregistry.blob. Any time I have a problem with the steam client, this is what support instruct me to do. In fact, just by being able to tell you this, I am probably qualified to work as a support tech. Every now and again if you delete clientregistry.blob Steam will throw an error at you the first time you try to launch it afterwards. Don't panic like I did the first time and completely uninstall steam, just close the error and launch steam again. I can't tell you how many issues this has fixed for me. Good luck installing all your games again :(

I'm a bear, put your head in my mouth.

I cry at night
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
12 Dec 2011 06:14 #21541 by Twodavez
It happened again...
I deleted the file and now i'm getting:
"Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settins for all users under file properties for Steam.ede and restart Steam. Press 'Cancel' to permanently ignore this warning and continue"

So i hit cancel and steam started right up. I think there is something more to the issue... Any thoughts.

And thanks Fildy, that seemed to get me farther in the journey. I vote you get a paycheck from STEAM, or at least a free game for aiding in their Tech support.

P.S. by reinstalling, i meant i was allowing the steam client to "repair" it'self. No total reinstall here, at least not yet... :unsure:

More
12 Dec 2011 06:35 #21543 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Steam Broke
you may want to run a few dard drive tests also to make sure its not causing that

Wes

More
12 Dec 2011 06:39 - 12 Dec 2011 06:41 #21544 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: you may want to run a few dard drive tests also to make sure its not causing that

I'm assuming you mean Hard Drive test. Dard Googled into images returns some pretty weird stuff!

any suggestions on what programs to use? i have all my games and Steam on my Patriot SSD, then the rest of my PC is on two regular HD's

Last edit: 12 Dec 2011 06:41 by Twodavez.

More
12 Dec 2011 06:40 #21545 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Steam Broke
lmao i was typing over my cat

Wes

More
12 Dec 2011 08:41 #21548 by Wingless92
You can run Disk Check in Windows Dave. Not sure how good it is but it's worth a shot.

That is weird that Steam is throwing errors. I really have never had a problem with it.

I would say it's a drive related thing, I hope it's not though. Now is not the time to be replacing drives. I'm just glad that Seagate RMA'ed my 2TB drive that died in my server.

More
12 Dec 2011 09:05 #21550 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Steam Broke

Wingless92 wrote: You can run Disk Check in Windows Dave. Not sure how good it is but it's worth a shot.

Ive used chkdsk to revive many fallen hard drives. I had one in the shop that was BSOD: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and a chkdsk /r got it booting again. Cloned the drive with Ghost, and now it runs great.

We have 1961 guests and no members online

supportus