Hard drives

More
31 Oct 2011 04:32 #20619 by garfi3ld
Hard drives was created by garfi3ld
If you guys are planning on a hard drive purchase I would recommend doing it now rather than later. The prices are already starting to rise. But with all of the factory flooding in Taiwan they will be going up quicky

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2011 04:41 #20620 by chadkirchner
Replied by chadkirchner on topic Re: Hard drives
I was telling a guy I work with that regular PCs are going to cost as much as Macs do after all of this!!!

More
31 Oct 2011 05:47 #20623 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Hard drives
so even with Black Friday less than or about a month away, you still think price increases will throw off that days sales?
I've been waiting and tell my Bro-in-law to wait till Thanksgiving to buy another HD...
Any thoughts?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
31 Oct 2011 06:30 #20625 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Hard drives
Just a few examples.

www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/24/us-th...dUSTRE79N21U20111024

focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.a...aECO&ID=201110280025

Its hard to judge what the sales will be. But with a lot of the companies having big losses in production I know its going to be tough.

Wes

More
31 Oct 2011 20:39 #20628 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: Hard drives
To give you an idea I was paying as little as a week ago 38.00 for 500 gig sata 3.5" from distribution. Price today is 90 for the same drive. So I suspect the prices on black friday will be worse then hunting and finding cheap drives right now.

More
31 Oct 2011 21:40 #20631 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Hard drives
I just got off the phone with my vendor at Systemax, and they arent expecting decent prices until January. Both the main Western Digital and Seagate plants are underwater!

I did manage to find a 1TB Seagate on Amazon for $89 after shipping.

I ordered 5!

More
01 Nov 2011 00:46 #20634 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Hard drives
I just ordered some stock laptop drives from Ebay - NEW 7200 RPM 2.5 IDE & Sata 60 and 80 gig I spent 48.00 on the Sata's and 63 on the IDE's so not too terribly bad there yet, but the prices are definitely going up up up.

More
01 Nov 2011 01:00 #20636 by chadkirchner

renegade wrote: To give you an idea I was paying as little as a week ago 38.00 for 500 gig sata 3.5" from distribution. Price today is 90 for the same drive. So I suspect the prices on black friday will be worse then hunting and finding cheap drives right now.

THAT

IS

NUTS

More
01 Nov 2011 01:56 #20645 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Hard drives

More
09 Nov 2011 01:05 #20810 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Hard drives
this is something to watch dearly... Hope no one has any hard drive issues. And I'm hoping none of the family calls me with issues relating to this post. And SSDs were really starting to drop in price... I had thought about getting one. Probably not now or until sometime early next year.

everyone keep your equipment protected with surge suppression, cases cleaned, etc...

"crosses fingers" this doesnt last as long as predicted" :(

More
09 Nov 2011 04:15 #20811 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Hard drives
I wish that I had $99 for the 2tb external drive that I saw at Target the other day. I could make a killing.

More
10 Nov 2011 05:08 #20838 by garfi3ld

More
14 Nov 2011 19:35 #20883 by garfi3ld
I've seen laptop and pc prices go up already. Black Friday deals will be the last laptop and pc deals. They were purchased before the floods

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wes

More
14 Nov 2011 21:09 #20887 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic Re: Hard drives
Yeah Wes is dead on. I was at an Intel conference last week where a WD Rep talked at and right now they are at 0% production until they can get the Malaysa plant retooled which will be another 3-4 weeks still. Then that plant will go back online but only cover 30% of what they were making with all 3 plants. The 2 Thailand plants will be down for 6-9 months, and WD has no plans to sell HDD's as cheap as they were in the future until they have recouped the losses from the floods. So get used to higher prices on HDD's, systems, laptops etc. The day of the dual core 15" laptop going for 350 on sale is over after black friday.

Last week I pulled laptop prices from distribution on Monday, went to put in my order on Tuesday for new laptops and all of them had gone up 15-30.00 each in less then 24 hours, and they keep going up couple dollars each day as supplies dwindle.

If you need a HDD or system bite the bullet and get it now, as WD told us the prices are no where near there top, they will go up alot more in Qtr 1 2012. He predicted that 500g would hit 150 or more, and the 2/3 tb's would sky rocket. The 500 / 1tb single platters would be the best bang for the buck they were saying.

When questioned on SSD's if this would bring prices down on them the rep said frankly no, the tech/build time on them etc has not gone down enough on the production side to allow for it, and said WD's road map has spinning media as the main stay in systems for the next 5-10 years still. Until they can get 500g+ SSD's to under 100.00 or same price as an HDD they see HDD's outselling SSD. Which is kinda not what the industry analysts are predicting but I am more inclined to go with WD projections seeing as they are the #1 seller in the world of spinning media.

More
14 Nov 2011 21:30 #20888 by Wingcmdr77
What do you think of these? I not too keen on unknown hard drives but theses seem to be holding somewhat steady on ebay: Seen em for 95.00 plus shipping.

This is a White Label 1TB (1-Terabyte) SATA/II hard drive featuring with 7200RPM, 32MB cache SATA/300 hard drive with 1 year warranty. A white label product is a product produced by major hard drive company that manufactured for other companies (OEM Hard Drive Reseller) re-brand to make it appear as if they made it or for large volume special application.

Features:

1 Terabyte Capacity
Serial ATA 3.0Gbps Interface
32MB Buffer Size
7200 RPM Rotation Speed
1 Year Warranty

Specifications:
Manufacturer White Label
Manufacturer Part # WL1000GSA32
Data Storage Formatted Capacity 1 TB (1000GB)
Data Transfer Rate To/From Media 300 MBps
Buffer 32 MB
Seek Time Average 8.9 ms
Rotational Speed 7200 rpm
Interface SATA300
Dimensions
(H x W x D) Unit 4 in x 5.8 in x 1 in
Weight Unit 1.4 lbs
Warranty 1 Year Warranty
Includes in the Box Sealed Bulk Pack

More
14 Nov 2011 21:35 #20889 by garfi3ld
It could work but I would be a little worried about picking up something without the standard warranty

Wes

More
14 Nov 2011 23:08 #20893 by Wingcmdr77
ya I kinda liked my 5 year warranty from Western Digital for the Drives I usually bought. Last resort I guess if I have a disaster till, hopefully nothing till from what I read earlier on here now its going to be June/July or maybe later before things calm back down with prices. :(

More
15 Nov 2011 00:11 #20894 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Hard drives
www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Barracuda...739460&skuId=9419382

Need to pick up two for the server. I had two drives crash last night after I reinstalled the OS. Not to shabby of a price either.

More
15 Nov 2011 23:32 #20919 by THUMPer
Replied by THUMPer on topic Re: Hard drives
this is what you get when you put all your eggs in one basket. Just dumb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
17 Nov 2011 18:35 #20948 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Hard drives
They should be building them in America.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
17 Nov 2011 18:46 #20950 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Hard drives
I'm thinking that a few us should get together and start one of those Cash for Gold like services, Except its Cash for Hard Drives! :cheer: Sell us your new or good working used drive for $$$ and then we turn around and sell it to people who don't want the cut-throat prices for way more than its worth. :P

More
17 Nov 2011 21:27 #20951 by garfi3ld
i may part with a few of my un used drives around the first of the year, if the prices keep rising

Wes

More
18 Nov 2011 00:31 #20959 by THUMPer
Replied by THUMPer on topic Re: Hard drives
i really needed a couple 2tb drives. FML

More
18 Nov 2011 07:00 #20970 by chadkirchner

garfi3ld wrote: i may part with a few of my un used drives around the first of the year, if the prices keep rising

HDD black market!

We have 1744 guests and no members online

supportus