A little help tech fellas?

More
20 Sep 2011 05:27 #19906 by TownFunk
So I just bought/traded for this Asus G73JH Laptop, and I'm getting some graphical artifacts when playing games. I don't get them before hand, but afterwards, I even get them on the desktop. Any ideas how to fix this guys?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 05:33 #19907 by Wingless92
Sounds like the GPU is overheating, that or its trashed. I would lean towards the overheating. Also, install the latest drivers for everything.

More
20 Sep 2011 05:42 #19908 by TownFunk
HMM.. Aside from a new cooling pad, can you think of anything that would also help to cool this beast down?

More
20 Sep 2011 05:54 #19909 by Wingless92
Set it on it's side and use some compressed air in the fans. Try and get any dust out that has built up over time. See if that helps.

Other than that your kinda SOL other than a new cooling pad.

More
20 Sep 2011 06:02 #19910 by Nacelle
To test to see if a cooling pad is going to do any good, set it on top of whatever fan you have in the house and stress the computer. If you're still getting artifacts you can rule out the dinky fan you'd get in a cooler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TownFunk

More
20 Sep 2011 06:06 #19911 by Wingless92
Good call Chris.

More
20 Sep 2011 06:29 #19912 by TownFunk
Well, I set it on a box fan I have, and it ran amazingly. No artifacts, AND the system fans were hardly running at all. The air coming out wasn't very hot. So either I just need to haul this box fan around with my laptop, I need a cooling pad, or the fans on this laptop just aren't spinning up soon/fast enough.

More
20 Sep 2011 07:00 #19913 by Wingless92
Seems like it's full of dust. I would try and open it up and clean it out good. Or just do the compressed air trick.

More
20 Sep 2011 07:28 - 20 Sep 2011 07:30 #19914 by Arxon
This is a known problem. Thats why a year later they came out with a new version. Just some help cause it is the one i sold ya... dont use turbo mode. It doesn't affect the preformence because it doesn't bump the gpu up. It will save on heat problems. Also elevating it helps without the box fan. The cooler i got from the lan helps. Will post what one it was in a bit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 07:30 by Arxon.

More
20 Sep 2011 07:32 #19915 by garfi3ld
cooler master notepal

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
20 Sep 2011 22:20 #19924 by Plague

Wingless92 wrote: Seems like it's full of dust. I would try and open it up and clean it out good. Or just do the compressed air trick.

Personally, I have had to do this with every laptop I have owned.

pop it apart... redo the thermal component on the CPU and GPU it is probably crap. Which is why it is over heating so quickly. Make should to blow it out with compressed air.

Also, even after that is done... A good laptop cooler, or just keeping the back up off the table an inch or so, should do it. laptop are not really lap tops anymore specially when they are desktop replacements like that i7.

More
20 Sep 2011 23:34 #19925 by Arxon

Plague wrote:

Wingless92 wrote: Seems like it's full of dust. I would try and open it up and clean it out good. Or just do the compressed air trick.

pop it apart... redo the thermal component on the CPU and GPU it is probably crap. Which is why it is over heating so quickly. Make should to blow it out with compressed air.

Also, even after that is done... A good laptop cooler, or just keeping the back up off the table an inch or so, should do it. laptop are not really lap tops anymore specially when they are desktop replacements like that i7.

It has been repasted by nocturn compound. Dust isnt the problem, cleaned it a week before he got it.

More
21 Sep 2011 00:00 #19926 by Plague

Arxon wrote:

Plague wrote:

It has been repasted by nocturn compound. Dust isnt the problem, cleaned it a week before he got it.

Oh, ok, My thought was that it was still stock pasted. My bad.

More
21 Sep 2011 00:14 #19927 by drpain
Also another thing I would like to add is take the little grates off the fan areas if it has any. Had a Gen 1 Dell XPS and I removed the grates on the bottom fans and the thing breathed so much better.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
21 Sep 2011 00:39 #19929 by Arxon
It is just a high end laptop. Once i got that decent cooler it stopped

More
21 Sep 2011 02:51 #19938 by TownFunk
Alright. Thanks for the help guys! Wes, I just ordered that CoolerMaster pad since this Belikin one I have is a big, expensive, piece of junk.

More
21 Sep 2011 05:20 #19941 by Leonresevil2
Have you said hello to our newest sponsor, Belkin? ;)

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
21 Sep 2011 05:40 #19945 by Arxon
Used to have a belkin wireless router and it kept dropping pcs in our house randomly. The router is 2 years old and only 1 update for it. I tend to shy away from belkin.

More
21 Sep 2011 06:28 #19949 by TownFunk
As do I. Nothing of Belkin's that I have ever used has lasted more than 2 months. That's pretty sad for the price I've paid. Gotta say tho... I've used this cooling pad since my first laptop. Just because the fan is incredibly loud and the rubber had shred and pulled up doesn't mean it useless.

More
21 Sep 2011 07:12 #19950 by garfi3ld
its just the fact that you have no use for it that makes it useless.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2, Arxon

We have 2176 guests and no members online

supportus