Dead SSD

More
06 Jun 2011 04:07 #16037 by Nacelle
Dead SSD was created by Nacelle
My computer was on, but I was elsewhere. When I came back it had rebooted and was giving me the "no os" error. I went into the bios and my 60gb OCZ Agility SSD wasn't showing up on the list of drives. I tried moving it to my secondary drive's cables, but still no-go. I pulled the drive and put it one of the Icy Dock enclosures that I had won at LanOC. Both Windows and Linux didn't want anything to do with it. So now I'm at the mercy of OCZ support. With under 2 weeks til the LAN, I'm hoping they have a quick swap option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2011 04:28 #16039 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Dead SSD
Hmmm, should of gone with Intel? j/k.

Waiting to see how long this takes. Doing a build this week with a 30gb OCZ SSD. Hopefully everything works out Chris. Once you go SSD its hard to go back.

More
06 Jun 2011 04:37 - 06 Jun 2011 04:45 #16042 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Dead SSD
Yea, the thought had crossed my mind to install windows on the first partition of my 2tb HDD. Nahh, last resort.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 04:45 by Nacelle.

More
06 Jun 2011 05:18 #16044 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Dead SSD
I was doing a little research into it the other day and SSD life spans are pretty much a joke in general, regardless of the brand. Hopefully by the time I upgrade they'll start improving on that.

More
06 Jun 2011 06:25 #16048 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Dead SSD
They have been improving that, some have 5 year warrantys. I know thats not a great number but it is two full builds to anyone who is staying fairly up to date with their PC build. Anyone running an SSD is, IMO.

Wes

More
06 Jun 2011 07:54 #16050 by Dreyvas
That's fine and it's great that they warranty it, but it still sucks when it happens to you and renders your computer temporarily unusable. It would suck even more if it happened at a LAN. Then again, I guess that's why they invented fault-tolerant RAID5 setups, which is what I'll hopefully be using when I upgrade.

More
06 Jun 2011 08:08 #16055 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Dead SSD
Raid = A bitch lol.

Never used it but that's what i've heard. If I was going to do it over again. Drobo all the way. Easy is the best way for anything, well most everything.

More
06 Jun 2011 08:14 #16057 by Dreyvas
Yeah, Drobo is just a hardware RAID5 setup. Software RAID could get a bit tricky, I won't deny that.

More
06 Jun 2011 14:47 - 06 Jun 2011 14:48 #16058 by Nacelle
If you do RAID 5 and are looking for long-term reliability, make sure you buy 2 RAID cards as well. They are also susceptible to failure. What if down the road it dies and they don't make them anymore. Then you're really stuck, trying to figure out how to read the data from the drives.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2011 14:48 by Nacelle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
06 Jun 2011 14:51 #16059 by Dreyvas

Nacelle wrote: If you do RAID 5 and are looking for long-term reliability, make sure you buy 2 RAID cards as well. They are also susceptible to failure. What if down the road it dies and they don't make them anymore. Then you're really stuck, trying to figure out how to read the data from the drives.

Wouldn't doing software raid through Windows avoid this problem altogether?

More
06 Jun 2011 15:09 #16060 by Nacelle
I'm not sure. I would first test that out by moving the drives to another system and seeing if you can read from them there.

More
06 Jun 2011 18:19 #16063 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: Dead SSD
I'm using a Linux Software RAID-5 and have a 6tb array with one hot spare that will automatically be used when a drive fails. Extremely easy to setup and will send me an email alert / text message any time there is a RAID event. I've seen so many hardware RAID controllers fail that if you are just deadset on using hardware, you absolutely need to do what Nacelle said and get multiple controllers (and never update the firmware unless you do it to both). To me it's not worth the money for minimal speed gains (and there is no feature gain, if you're using Linux).

Last bit of RAID advice, make sure you have something scheduled weekly or so to go through and do a full file scan. Many RAID-5's still end up failing after one drive goes bad because the other drives may be on the threshold of doing the same. The process of rebuilding the array may just push it over the edge - seen it happen many times at our customers. Doing full file scans may cause a drive to fail sooner, but you can be fairly confident that the whole array won't fail when trying to rebuild itself.

More
06 Jun 2011 18:21 #16064 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: Dead SSD

Nacelle wrote: I'm not sure. I would first test that out by moving the drives to another system and seeing if you can read from them there.

I've had my boot drive fail on my RAID-5 system before. As long as you have a copy of "/etc/mdadm.conf", which stores the device ID's, you're fine. I have a copy of that file on two other computers on my network, my flash drive, and Dropbox... just in case... :-) Not sure how Windows software RAID stacks up as far as being easy to recover.

More
07 Jun 2011 04:23 #16069 by Nacelle
I'm thinking of just buying the new SATA 6g version of the drive. Anyone want to buy the replacement drive that I get back from them?

More
07 Jun 2011 07:46 - 07 Jun 2011 07:47 #16074 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic Re: Dead SSD
how much? not that I have money, but figure I will ask.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2011 07:47 by Plague.

More
07 Jun 2011 14:39 #16075 by Nacelle
The Newegg price on them are $119. I figured maybe $100. Link

We have 1873 guests and no members online

supportus