League of Legends

More
19 Apr 2010 17:13 #3973 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:League of Legends
Leonresevil2 wrote:

A bit off-topic, but I've read that Google predicts desktop PCs will be obsolete in 3 years. Guess we'll be playing MW3 on our Nexus Two's. lol

How cool to think that technology will increase that much that we can put everything in Wingless's case inside something that'll fit on your lap. I wonder if this study simply looked at the % increase in Laptop sales compaired to Desktop PC's. Did they take into account the number of people who have desktops who built them because it was better than buying a premade? Plus how many of you guys/ladies have both a Desktop & Laptop...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:50 #3987 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:League of Legends
yeah I don't think they include home built pc's in the numbers.

Wes

More
19 Apr 2010 17:55 #3989 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re:League of Legends
Twodavez wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote:

A bit off-topic, but I've read that Google predicts desktop PCs will be obsolete in 3 years. Guess we'll be playing MW3 on our Nexus Two's. lol

How cool to think that technology will increase that much that we can put everything in Wingless's case inside something that'll fit on your lap. I wonder if this study simply looked at the % increase in Laptop sales compaired to Desktop PC's. Did they take into account the number of people who have desktops who built them because it was better than buying a premade? Plus how many of you guys/ladies have both a Desktop & Laptop...

I can see it now, smash your phone for a Cooler Master one, or mod it into a full-sized computer!
Anyways, basically Google thinks that everyone uses computers mostly for the internet and word processing (Google search and Google Docs, so they have a bit of bias), so phones and netbooks will replace desktops for these features. Also, Google is releasing an online-only operating system for some netbooks, so they do anticipate running everything online from the cloud being the future of computers.
Admittedly, you CAN play games and such from the cloud via streaming services, but I think we are a ways away from that becoming the main thing, and LANs would be a pain in that situation. Google does want to provide and rule over computers, the internet, and thereby the world, so they could if we don't keep buying advanced computers.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 19:52 - 19 Apr 2010 19:53 #4003 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:League of Legends
Cloud gaming is already viable for certain genres, but we're definitely a long way from being able to do low-latency first-person shooters at high resolutions, which are what I predominantly play.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 19:53 by Dreyvas.

More
19 Apr 2010 20:11 #4007 by Leonresevil2
Dreyvas wrote:

Cloud gaming is already viable for certain genres, but we're definitely a long way from being able to do low-latency first-person shooters at high resolutions, which are what I predominantly play.

Agreed. But from what I've heard, Google doesn't even intend to have hard drive ports in the machines running the ChromeOS. Basically, instead of cloud-based games like we are starting to have more (Steam, LoL), things would be streaming and browser-based (Battlefield Heroes i think?). Thus, we would be paying for games that we do not own at all, but simply have access to when we are online, or so it sounds. At least with no hard drive, there shouldn't be any DRM installed...

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 21:38 - 19 Apr 2010 21:39 #4020 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:League of Legends
Actually, I'm talking about games that are purely cloud. As in, OnLive. All the processing is done server-side, it takes your input over the internet and streams the output back to you. There's no game installed locally, just the framework for the service.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 21:39 by Dreyvas.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:16 #4403 by Leonresevil2
Understood. OnLive, StreamMyGame, and there are probably some others. I personally do not want all gaming (and all computing for that matter) to be done in this method. It sounds like we are scaling back into the old days of terminals and servers that do calculations from remote demands. The hardware market would take a hit from that, and programs would be mostly pay-per-use or accounts. Admittedly, game development would be easier (not having to develop for all types of hardware and OSs), but it's just like cloud storage of personal data; I want to see it working steadily, securely, and FOR me, not just for my money.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1278 guests and one member online

supportus