Tomb Raider

More
09 Apr 2013 09:12 #30337 by Fildy
Tomb Raider was created by Fildy

titleTomb Raider is one of those franchises that has been around forever. Whether you are a lifelong fan, or someone who buys different installments periodically, there is always something to do with Lara Croft on her insane adventures. This time we take a look at the plainly titled Tomb Raider, a reboot by Crystal Dynamics that hopes to bring the franchise back to level of glory it had on the original Playstation. I can only hope that there is something as silly and exciting as locking the butler in the freezer to keep me entertained.

Read more...

I'm a bear, put your head in my mouth.

I cry at night
The following user(s) said Thank You: trgtprctc, Arxon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2013 23:44 #30338 by Teh_tourist
Replied by Teh_tourist on topic Tomb Raider
FIRST
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
10 Apr 2013 03:30 #30341 by trgtprctc
Replied by trgtprctc on topic Tomb Raider
I have been intriguied by this franchise but have never bought a game. I will add this to my Steam wish list and pick it up on sale based on your recommendation. Thank you Fildy!

More
10 Apr 2013 03:45 #30342 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Tomb Raider
Man, a lot of those screen shots could be backgrounds. Very nice captures!

More
10 Apr 2013 06:12 #30343 by SpeedBump
Replied by SpeedBump on topic Tomb Raider
Good review. I have a bit over 10 hours in atm. Those hours have me a little over 50% as shown in my save slots. I am REALLY enjoying the game for the most part, and I have to agree 110% with the excessive use of the quick time events.

As for puzzles, for me..I enjoy them, but unlike you Fildy, I don't crave them. I am more than happy to stumble across them, figure them out and move on.

Controls...I have been using a XBox 360 and find it much easier to move about than with the keyboard. That is probably due to me being an "arrow key" user instead of WASD. I struggled at first with the shooting events with multiple enemies using the gamepad, but at this point in the game, I am doing decent with it. I switched back and forth for a bit between GP and Mouse/keyboard and that also seems to get the job done.

I REALLY wish I could play the game at highest settings on my GTX670, but alas, I can't Horrible crashes mixed with even more horrible sound loop lockups plague my setup. Seems there is a major issue with the 600 series cards, especially the factory overclocked versions. Mine will run the game ONLY if I manually UNDERclock it to nearly the lowest speed. At those settings, I can't hold high enough FPS to run ultra settings. Soo sad they have not released a WORKING patch for this yet. Well, Im off to put in a few more hours with Laura. Ahhhh, sweet, sweet Laura. BTW...she is one tuff SOB. SOOO much punishment and pain and yet she continues on...

More
10 Apr 2013 23:12 #30349 by Fildy
Replied by Fildy on topic Tomb Raider

SpeedBump wrote: Good review. I have a bit over 10 hours in atm. Those hours have me a little over 50% as shown in my save slots. I am REALLY enjoying the game for the most part, and I have to agree 110% with the excessive use of the quick time events.

As for puzzles, for me..I enjoy them, but unlike you Fildy, I don't crave them. I am more than happy to stumble across them, figure them out and move on.

Controls...I have been using a XBox 360 and find it much easier to move about than with the keyboard. That is probably due to me being an "arrow key" user instead of WASD. I struggled at first with the shooting events with multiple enemies using the gamepad, but at this point in the game, I am doing decent with it. I switched back and forth for a bit between GP and Mouse/keyboard and that also seems to get the job done.

I REALLY wish I could play the game at highest settings on my GTX670, but alas, I can't Horrible crashes mixed with even more horrible sound loop lockups plague my setup. Seems there is a major issue with the 600 series cards, especially the factory overclocked versions. Mine will run the game ONLY if I manually UNDERclock it to nearly the lowest speed. At those settings, I can't hold high enough FPS to run ultra settings. Soo sad they have not released a WORKING patch for this yet. Well, Im off to put in a few more hours with Laura. Ahhhh, sweet, sweet Laura. BTW...she is one tuff SOB. SOOO much punishment and pain and yet she continues on...

I read about the crashing issues with 600 series cards, but as of now I haven't experienced any issues myself so I was unable to write about them. I do think the game grew on me a bit over time, but it had a bunch of room for improvement in my eyes.

I'm a bear, put your head in my mouth.

I cry at night

More
19 May 2013 01:35 #30869 by trgtprctc
I picked up this game recently on a 50% off Steam sale, and I am LOVING it. Quick time key mashing scripted events are irritating, but everything else about the game is enthralling. I have 2 OC'd EVGA 670 FTW cards in SLI, and have only seen one crash. The graphics are fantastic at the highest detail settings.

I am particularly mesmerized by the story of a "virgin" Lara Croft developing into the Tomb Raider badass portrayed in the movies. Definitely worth the money....

More
21 Jul 2013 05:08 #31806 by trgtprctc
Finally got around to finishing the main story. This definitely goes down as one of my all time favorite games. Anyone who picked this up for $12.50 during the Steam sale got one hell of a deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
21 Jul 2013 23:36 #31811 by SpeedBump
Little update. Finished the game awhile ago. Great game. As for the 670issues...all gone. Dont know what they did but I have no problems now. Guessing some auto updates got pushed thru. The game looks fabulous with 1920x1200 Res on ultra settings.

More
21 Jul 2013 23:38 #31812 by SpeedBump

trgtprctc wrote: Anyone who picked this up for $12.50 during the Steam sale got one hell of a deal.

I actually paid zero for it. Used a $50 steam credit I won at FITES LAN in the case mod contest. Woot for me. Lol

More
25 Jul 2013 22:24 #31854 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Tomb Raider
Much more Uncharted then Tomb Raider but that obviously isn't a bad thing. A little short but perhaps I am just better at games then when I was 12. Achievements weren't unlocking for me when they should but whatever. I was surprised with just how brutal the game was.

We have 1641 guests and no members online

supportus