Napster turns off the lights, end of an era.

More
01 Dec 2011 10:44 #21250 by garfi3ld
Yesterday was officially the last day for Napster. Some of you may actually be to young to really know about Napster but I think most of us will never forget using it. We can thank Napster for bringing the MP3 into most households and by that leading to the introduction later on of the game changing iPod. Although Napster may have been less helpful to the music industry, I believe that it did play a pivotal role in pushing us into the digital age. Can anyone imagine playing on their smartphone with its built in CD player? 
Here is a short quote from CNN, be sure to check out the link to read more. 

It's the end of a tumultuous road for Napster, a controversial but iconic site that has blinked in and out of existence over the past decade.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2011 10:54 #21251 by garfi3ld
Napster turns off the lights, end of an era.

Wes

More
01 Dec 2011 10:58 #21252 by Wingless92
Wow, I can remember back in the late 90's when JcPenny's had PC's that you could rent for 15min intervals and would go in and download music on Napster. Just in case the RIAA is reading, I deleted that music years ago.

I remember when it was the "in" thing to do. Now it's so much easier just to buy it on Amazon than actually downloading it, plus its faster to purchase it, lol.

Sad to see them go but haven't used them since anyways.

Cue the Titanic seen

"I'll never let go Jack, I'll never let go"

Sheds tear.

More
01 Dec 2011 20:43 #21263 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Ahh Napster, I knew thee well! Farewell old friend... Tell Audiogalaxy hello for me. B)

More
01 Dec 2011 21:17 #21270 by Wingcmdr77
"Sheds Tears" :( One thing I remember about Napster is going to IPFW and hearing about the out cry it was doing with their bandwidth. They later put filters on it.

More
01 Dec 2011 21:42 #21275 by drpain
Me and a couple buddies of school wired a lab with Napster and for the longest time the "senior" IT guy had no idea what it was and what it was used for. Then Kazaa came along and bye bye Napster but now I don't touch any of P2P networks.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

We have 1857 guests and one member online

supportus