Proof Reading

More
13 Nov 2009 01:55 #1197 by Nacelle
Proof Reading was created by Nacelle
Hey Wes, have you ever thought of having someone proof read your reviews before you post them? In the one's I've read, I've found all kinds of spelling, grammatical, and punctuation mistakes. I not an English major or anything. I just notice that kind of thing. I assume that you're trying to present a professional looking site. That's the kind of thing that detracts from it. I'd be happy to help you out, if you'd like. Here's an example from the Arius EX review.

It's not impossible, though, it jus takes a bit more precision than other methods.

It should read...

It's not impossible, though. It just takes a bit more precision than other methods.

Here's one from the CoGage True Spirit CPU Cooler review...

One of the top heatsink manufactures Thermalright has impressed us multiple times with their top performing heatsinks. Recently they introduced a new brand and product line called CoGage. CoGage products are designed to have Thermalright's performance on a budget for penny pinching enthusiasts. Our new friends over at Acoustic PC contacted us and wanted to know if we wanted to check out the True Spirit, and of course we would love too. They sent out a whole box full of goodies to help in the testing so big thanks go out to them!

Here's my revision.

One of the top heatsink manufactures, Thermalright, has impressed us multiple times with their top performing heatsinks. Recently, they introduced a new brand and product line called CoGage. CoGage products are designed for penny pinching enthusiasts who want Thermalright's performance, on a budget. When Our new friends over at Acoustic PC contacted us, and asked if we wanted to check out the True Spirit. We said,"Of course, we would love too." So, They sent us a whole box full of goodies, to help in the testing. Big thanks go out to them!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2009 01:56 #1198 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic RE: Proof Reading
Oh yea, any idea if our mouse pads were sent out yet?

More
13 Nov 2009 02:18 #1201 by Shibumi
Replied by Shibumi on topic RE: Proof Reading
Find some in my reviews... my gf graduated with a writing and editing major and I have her read all my crap before I even show it to Wes lol.

In defense of Wes though, the built in spell checker on the site does not do anything for grammar or punctuation, just spelling. It's always much better to have an extra pair of eyes read over crap, I know I forget to put commas after transitions all the freaking time. Bernadette has actually started to hit me with a hickory stick every time she finds one now.

More
13 Nov 2009 03:05 #1202 by Nacelle
Notice a comma missing from the first sentence, of your review, of Mini Ninjas?

Join Hiro as he embarks on an epic journey to restore peace to a world on the edge of chaos.

More
13 Nov 2009 03:30 #1204 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic RE: Proof Reading
I'm always looking for someone to help proof read. Grammar has always been an issue for me, late nights and lots to do don't help ether.

The mouse pad info was only sent out late last week after getting the last of the shipping addresses. But I haven't heard back from them yet. I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

Wes

More
13 Nov 2009 04:58 #1209 by Shibumi

Nacelle wrote: Notice a comma missing from the first sentence, of your review, of Mini Ninjas?

Join Hiro as he embarks on an epic journey to restore peace to a world on the edge of chaos.

Actually I don't believe I need one there. You don't need to put at comma in there because that's before a prepositional phrase. You're not supposed to use commas before those. In otherwords... join is the verb, join who? Hiro, and the subject is the understood you. The whole rest of the sentence is pretty much a giant prepositional phrase.

More
13 Nov 2009 12:18 #1213 by Nacelle
Ok, you got me there. But this sentence doesn't seem quit right.

From snowy mountaintops, to lush forests, Hiro fights hordes of enemies and several boss Samurai culminating in the ultimate fight against the Evil Samurai Warlord.

More
13 Nov 2009 12:47 #1214 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: Proof Reading
I agree with Wes; sometimes you can read your own material over countless times and not pick up on errors. A simple email would work as well, it doesn't necessarily need to be a call out on public forums.

EDIT: After reading this again, I didn't intend for this to sound as shitty as it may. What I'm trying to say is an email to the respective author would probably be more effective and professional. I absolutely welcome the help.

More
14 Nov 2009 00:24 #1224 by Nacelle
Cry me a river

It's not like was rude about it.

More
14 Nov 2009 00:56 #1227 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic RE: Proof Reading
I'm sure a multitude of good proofreaders would become available if a little swag was thrown into the mix.

Just sayin'.

More
14 Nov 2009 14:43 #1233 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: Proof Reading

More
15 Nov 2009 00:15 #1236 by Shibumi

Nacelle wrote: Ok, you got me there. But this sentence doesn't seem quit right.

From snowy mountaintops, to lush forests, Hiro fights hordes of enemies and several boss Samurai culminating in the ultimate fight against the Evil Samurai Warlord.

You may not like the flow but I fail to see anything wrong with it grammatically. I know I can be really wordy sometimes when I write, and my sentences can get extremely long. I'm not an English major and I certainly don't take any writing classes, so don't ever feel bad about suggesting a proofreading mark here or there. I may not listen to you because I tend to be stubborn, but I'll never get mad at you for trying to help me out :D

More
15 Nov 2009 01:39 #1240 by Nacelle
I'm just messin with ya.

Shibumi wrote: Find some in my reviews...

I thought I'd give it a shot.

More
15 Nov 2009 02:48 #1242 by Shibumi
Hehe, well played sir :D

More
17 Nov 2009 09:30 #1259 by Scootpogo
Replied by Scootpogo on topic RE: Proof Reading
I actually like to see mistakes. Reminds me that theres actually a human somewhee on the other side of my screen. And if there are any grammar or punctuations in either of those statements dont you correct them.

More
17 Nov 2009 12:44 #1260 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic RE: Proof Reading
*don't

More
17 Nov 2009 13:31 #1261 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RE: Proof Reading
I'm the last person to weigh in on grammer and spelling, but i do think if the site it trying to present a professional front and be known for it's reviews like lan OC has been over the past year or whatever, spelling and grammer should be important. These companies are sending items to be reviewed so that you'll write good things about them and people will buy based on those reviews, if your review isn't professional, then these companies might try to go with someone else who is, as they want the reviews to be worth the time it took them to ship off products for free or discounted price...
Just something to think about from the companies stand point.
Additionally, in the forums, i do'nt have a problem with grammer/ spelling since's it's more of a social thing, and not a professional thing, your only making yourself look bad, not a product that was provided to be reviewed.
(obviously i don't mind looking bad on the forums :-) )

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
18 Nov 2009 00:53 #1265 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic RE: Proof Reading
I'd be more than happy to proofread your reviews, Wes, if you're seriously looking for somebody to do it. Send them to me in email the night before, or something. Whatever works for you as long as I'm warned. =]

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 1632 guests and one member online

supportus