Other LAN contest ideas

More
30 Oct 2012 19:16 #28319 by Twodavez
I wish we did more video things at the LAN's. Dodgeball was fun, but got a little stale. What about a PC Build competition. Get some parts for a PC, and let teams assemble them, points would be awarded for cable management, time to completion, and correctness in plugging everything in. We could even use an old PC, so that if something got broken in the heat of battle, it wouldn't be a big loss.

I've always wanted to do a PC set up contest. Again have PC that you're timed from coming in the door, to a certian spot, you have to assemble the PC, basically plug everything in, then run back out the door to end the time. Deductions for mis-plugging in something, or not screwing down the video cable.

If we could get an energy drink company to sponser, we could do chugging contests. They are a Big hit at quakecon, plus even if you aren't any good at it, you still get a free drink out of the contest.

Texas hold'em was a nice change of pace, but is kind hard to watch/spectate without cameras showing everyone's hands.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2012 22:13 #28324 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Other LAN contest ideas
Why we haven't put more effort into getting a drink sponsor and food sponsor is beyond me. That would be a great idea. I could name more than a handful of company's that we could contact.

Anyways, good idea Dave.

More
30 Oct 2012 22:32 - 30 Oct 2012 22:37 #28325 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Other LAN contest ideas
I've mentioned multiple times on here that I DO contact multiple drink companies. We just never hear back from them

Edit- also keep the ideas coming. I made a post about this about 6 months ago asking for ideas with no responses.

Wes
Last edit: 30 Oct 2012 22:37 by garfi3ld.

More
30 Oct 2012 23:31 #28328 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Other LAN contest ideas

garfi3ld wrote: I've mentioned multiple times on here that I DO contact multiple drink companies. We just never hear back from them

Edit- also keep the ideas coming. I made a post about this about 6 months ago asking for ideas with no responses.

I know JOOOOOO from Forge LAN was able to get some Bawls shipped to his 30 person LAN, maybe you should try to figure out his connection and go through them. I know IU and NOS go way back because of one of the graduates going to work for the company, so that's kind of a not-fair sponsor. Maybe we need to get some College affiliation for LAN OC to get the college money and sponsors! ha ha

Food would be easy, i was able to get a small discount through that pizza place and just passed the savings onto the people who ordered. The owner of the company was Thrilled to have such a large order and i was planning on doing it again next time. Between already discounted pizzas and the pancake & Sausage breakfast, i'm not sure we need anothe food place. Unless it's like Gamer Grub who send their products for snacking ;-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
31 Oct 2012 00:58 #28330 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic Other LAN contest ideas
We do build offs @ SYX all the time

We do some for students that visit our factory, and of course we sponsor the CES build offs yearly (almost yearly).

Cable management is subjective and might be hard to judge.. trust me, you'll have people not fully installing DIMMS, not connecting the I/O and Front Panel cables correctly, etc.

Only rule is no CPU installs, too many damaged boards :)

More
31 Oct 2012 01:01 #28331 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Other LAN contest ideas

evildoer wrote: We do build offs @ SYX all the time

We do some for students that visit our factory, and of course we sponsor the CES build offs yearly (almost yearly).

Cable management is subjective and might be hard to judge.. trust me, you'll have people not fully installing DIMMS, not connecting the I/O and Front Panel cables correctly, etc.

Only rule is no CPU installs, too many damaged boards :)

I could picture a motherboard, ram, video card, CPU cooler (something that needs mounted to the board) and a power supply being the items to install. It's not like it's going to be a 2 min install, it would take a little time and using old pieces of a PC that doesn't even work anymore would minimize the stress of breaking something, because afterall it's a timed contest...
Can you go through your RMA/trash pile and pull out some broken pieces for us to play around with. I think it would be cool if you held a small clinic at the LAN too to teach us part time Tech/PC Gamers a thing or two about cable management and cleaning.

Still want someone to offer $10 PC dust clean-outs!

We have 2309 guests and no members online

supportus