Toolbar at the bottom

More
27 Oct 2009 09:12 #768 by garfi3ld
If you haven't already you should click the community button on the bottom right and add it to your facebook. Show your support for LanOC and you can also post up on the shoutbox :)

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2009 16:50 #777 by Scootpogo
Replied by Scootpogo on topic RE: Toolbar at the bottom
yeah i dont have that tool bar anymore?

More
27 Oct 2009 17:18 #778 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic RE: Toolbar at the bottom
lol after i posted this i took it away, causing some issues.

Wes

More
27 Oct 2009 17:53 #780 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RE: Toolbar at the bottom
The toolbar wasn't very useful to me. I think if you throw too many new things as us garfi3ld, it's hard to get a handle on which one will work best. Maybe give it some time then introduce new things... Plus i think that's what was causing some loading issues at work. the site still seems slower than the old one did when at work... At home i'm perfect especially since using the compatability thing Reaper told me to do. It fixed things i didn't even know were wrong :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
27 Oct 2009 18:21 #783 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic RE: Toolbar at the bottom
I liked the toolbar mostly for its integration with twitter and facebook for people who dont visit the site very much. It also gave new visitors a way to see quickly what new reviews we have posted up. It wasn't for everyone, but it did come in handy for some

Wes

More
27 Oct 2009 20:11 #789 by Scootpogo
Replied by Scootpogo on topic RE: Toolbar at the bottom
yeah i enjoyed the toolbar alot.

More
15 Mar 2010 03:17 #2647 by Leonresevil2
I was kinda wondering if this toolbar was an option or not. I wouldn't use search, since it's at the top of every page, I don't know what Translate is about, Recent Posts seem to be at the side, and the social networking stuff could be condensed or done elsewhere. As mentioned, it seems like a lot shown to us all at once. I think that's why I kinda dropped off checking on the site: with all the ads, images, scripts, bars, updates, dropdowns, and everything, it's like walking into Las Vegas every day. So much to look at, so many things going on all at once, it gives me a bit of a headache.
I'm not saying to scrap it clean here. I understand that you want to advertise, and connect to Facebook and stuff. Just, for this user, the current setup is more of a barrier than an access. I've added all the facebook stuff that I know of, I try to support where I can, so I shouldn't have a bar forced on me to try and do this further (in fact, the toolbar runs on scripts which I had disabled by default, still deciding if I want to allow them or not).

My thoughts are that there are several places to do most actions, and in truth the toolbar slows my browsing down. I was hoping to see in the profile settings, an option to remove the toolbar, or take out some elements. I like the notification system idea, but this bar feels like an attempt at Facebook, without (what would be AMAZING here) the chat.

I'm not online very often, so I personally want to view as many sites and posts as possible, as quick as possible. I would like easy access to the posts I have not read yet (which may be here, I just haven't found yet), and I want to be able to quickly reply. A great example of this is at forum.chaosforge.net and I am interested in modeling a forum after this site. Members can quickly click Unread Posts links at the top, reply instantly at the bottom of every topic (without opening a new page), and things are quick and smooth.

I'm not saying that the site needs changed. It works, and I may get back into the habit of attending. I may also try to do RSS if I ever get around to it. My main irritation is the mixed uses of the toolbar. However, since I can just remove the scripts, if there are no plans to make it optional or adjustable, I will let Firefox make it "optional" lol.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
15 Mar 2010 03:46 #2650 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Toolbar at the bottom
I appreciate the feedback, I have gone back and forth on the toolbar myself. I should point out a few things. The Recent posts buttons at the bottom has nothing to do with the forums, it shows the most recent reviews that have been posted on the site. The random button next to it takes you to a random review. The search does a better job than the one at the top of the page, in fact I will be taking that one down. You have to remember that we receive between three and four thousand visitors to the website every day, clearly a lot of them do not post on the forums. The toolbar is a way to show those visitors there is more to LanOC without being too in their face about it. I should also point out because you didn't mention it, the button all the way to the right will take the toolbar down to a minimal size if your not interested in looking at it.

The digg this and Share buttons are a way for visitors and community members to share LanOC's articles, news, and content with everyone else around the internet. As always, the more traffic we receive the more prizes and giveaways the community receives back.

I hope that helps :)

Wes

More
15 Mar 2010 04:05 #2655 by Leonresevil2
Yeah I noticed that there are a lot of people coming to the forums (100k holy crap!) I noticed the arrow thing, kinda helps, but still lags for me when scrolling down. I understand that the toolbar is intended for more casual visitors (I hope that I'm understanding that right...), and my thought was that, for us that register, maybe we could have the option to maybe minimize it by default, maybe not show it at all, maybe add/remove certain things from the bar. Options.
I also tried the search bar, comes up with no results even for "lanoc", so I think it's broken by blocked scripts (hate when that happens).
I'm happy to get visitors, traffic, prizes, LANs, puppies, rainbows, and all the happy stuff that LANOC provides :lol: I was just interested in the option for registered member to tone and adjust what appears for them. I understand if that can't be done too easily, and I have solved the issue with the toolbar, I just like being able to allow scripts and get as close to the intended user experience as possible I guess.

Oh, and maybe you'd know what google-analytics and pagead2.googlesyndication.com do? What little I've heard has sounded like stuff I don't want on my computer, so I have them forbidden. Hoping that's ok.
And thanks for understanding, and not treating me like an arse! I know I kinda complained badly, I try to give constructive criticism but sometimes it doesn't come out well.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
15 Mar 2010 04:16 #2658 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Toolbar at the bottom
google-analytics and pagead2.googlesyndication.com

analytics gives us information about our visiters like how long you stay on a page, where did you come from, where did you go. It may sound bad, but it helps me track to see what people REALLY want to read, what keeps people here, and what I shouldn't do (high bounce rate).

the pagead2.googlesyndication.com part is for the ad at the bottom of the page. It doesn't pay very much because of its location, but it does support the website a little bit. If people are looking to support the website you can always check out the ads at the bottom of our reviews and always try to support the sponsors for our lan and with ads around the site.

I'm really surprised you have trouble with the toolbar lagging you out. I normally don't have any issues with it when on my netbook.

With the searchbar, type in something on it that you are looking to find for example mouse brings up 8 (36 if you click more) pages of links. But then again typing LanOC into it for me brings up things, it much be your scripts.

Wes

More
15 Mar 2010 04:40 #2662 by Leonresevil2
Well, I just read whatever, and I don't bounce out. I don't know if blocking the ad request affects payment, sorry if it does. I really don't make a habit of clicking ads, myself. I will probably use the reviews when looking for new hardware for a rig, though.

And the toolbar just stutters rendering, makes scrolling choppy. Probably dialup mostly. And the search bar is most likely scripts, but it's not like there's 'search.lanoc.org' script to enable, so it would be hit and miss to fix it, and I don't search enough to warrant that. I just browse topics unread, mostly. Thanks for the help Wes.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
02 Apr 2010 06:05 #3179 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re:Toolbar at the bottom
umm....ok? :S

We have 1704 guests and no members online

supportus