"Read" topics not staying read

More
25 Apr 2010 23:46 #4806 by Leonresevil2
I've mentioned this before, but it's become really bad all of a sudden. I log in, new topics and posts yet to read. I read from oldest to newest, posting when I feel something to add, and when I go to Recent Discussions, the topic I just left is (usually) marked read. I have had some issues of me posting, then it doesn't mark my post as read (which is illogical). But now, almost every new post marks unread ALL the new posts since I first log in. The site has been good about the issue, but now it seems to be affecting every new post and topic. There are no new scripts or things I have noticed, I have not changed any options on my end. Has anyone noticed posts not staying "read"? I kinda hope it's not just me.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2010 23:48 #4807 by technobear
I havent noticed it. You likely are having Cache issues from your browser.

What do you use?

have you cleared your temp files lately?

More
25 Apr 2010 23:59 #4822 by Leonresevil2
Firefox 3.6.3
I just cleared everything before I logged in, and I have it clear everything but history every time I close Firefox.

It's strange that it's become progressively worse, and all the posting now makes it hard to figure out. And having "11 New" after I just posted makes things bothersome. I would clear cache again, but that would log me out and reset everything, so I'll try to catch up on the remaining posts.

I was starting to wonder if it was my ISP, it seems like my internet has been getting slower and worse. Maybe I need to do a clean install of Fx. :(

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 00:02 #4823 by technobear
Make sure you do a manual removal of temp files.
If you dont know how i can type up instructions.
Try IE or Chrome.. before you mess with reinstaling Firefox.

More
26 Apr 2010 00:17 #4836 by Leonresevil2
Ok, used Firefox to clear cache, didn't fix it. Not sure where they are stored to look.

I have been having issues with Fx not wanting to update, so I've had to manually update by downloading and applying the newest versions. It wouldn't hurt me to start from scratch later on in the month.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 00:19 #4837 by technobear
ya, youve got fire fox issues if it wont update.. Do an uninstall. reboot. Search your drive for "firefox" delete folders left behind. Then try a new install. Uninstall and reinstall Java.

you know what..

Do that first.

Uninstall your java. then go to Java.com and reinstall it.

More
26 Apr 2010 00:37 - 26 Apr 2010 00:53 #4845 by Leonresevil2
I did install updated Java recently, but I don't think I uninstalled the older one. At least I have the installer on my system. The installers I have for Fx and Java should be fine, right? They are from the official sites, but I'm kinda worried I have some sort of infection? I haven't had anything come up as a warning (using Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus for a long time). Do you think it's an infection, or just data corruption from time and wear? Or what else?

EDIT: Guess I'll go ahead and wipe it out, and reinstall. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2010 00:53 by Leonresevil2.

More
26 Apr 2010 01:20 #4849 by technobear
unless your machine seesm to be doing things on its own i doubt its an infection. Most likely some kind of corruption of an install. Its very common for Java to go wonky.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:06 #4869 by Leonresevil2
Ok, uninstalled Java and Fx, had to get Revo Uninstaller to finally get it to remove everything. Looks like Firefox is checking for updates correctly, so that's a start. I have yet to install Java, or my add-ons, so I will progress through that hopefully with luck. Took out about 2GB of garbage too. But I'll know if the cache is fixed when someone responds.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:08 #4871 by technobear
Responds....

heeheh..

before you start with the addons make sure that the browser is working ok on its own.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:14 #4873 by Leonresevil2
Browser seems fine, haven't done anything except tweak options in Firefox itself, and the old posts (including my own) still come up as unread and new. :(

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:15 #4874 by technobear
im fresh out of ideas... wes lersar? any input?

More
26 Apr 2010 17:20 #4875 by Leonresevil2
Yea, this shouldn't be happening. No scripts blocked, no extra things, no Java, I'm as close to a stock copy of Firefox as I can get. Only thing more I could do (as far as I know) is get a new hard drive and start fresh, or reformat everything on this one. So I'm quite sure it's not Firefox or Java or anything like that. I also uninstalled Flash to be safe. It's not an issue in Firefox that I know of, since the forums were working ok before. And if it was, someone else using Firefox on the forums would've noticed. So I have no clue.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:24 #4877 by technobear
what happens when you go to another computer?

More
26 Apr 2010 17:37 #4883 by Leonresevil2
I actually haven't tried another computer. I suppose I could use one on campus, but I figure it will work normal. Unless other people haven't been looking where I have been, or just haven't felt like posting.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:43 #4885 by technobear
logging onto another computer will eliminate the possiblity of it being your account.

More
26 Apr 2010 17:54 #4893 by NitrosDragon
NUKE AND PAVE! :woohoo:
Mwahahahahahahaa!

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 1321 guests and no members online

supportus