LanOC Discord

More
26 Feb 2016 03:20 - 19 Sep 2016 22:43 #37702 by garfi3ld
LanOC Discord was created by garfi3ld
So at least right now we are still using and hosting our own TeamSpeak server that anyone is welcome to us. That said I have been also toying around with Discord and created a LanOC Discord for everyone who is interested in using it. The downside is using it at the LAN will use more internet bandwidth. But there are a lot of upsides like not even having to install it to chat and the potential to use it for LAN notifications.

Anyhow here is an invite link to the LanOC Discord, looking forward to seeing some of you on there.

discord.gg/lanoc

Wes
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 22:43 by garfi3ld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oARCHONo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 03:11 #37873 by oARCHONo
Replied by oARCHONo on topic Re:LanOC Discord
Thanks Wes! I created a discord for my group as well. I'm loving it so far. It might even replace teamspeak. Also, the bandwidth usage is minimal. I wish we had the budget for traffic shaping managed switches at the LAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-oARCHONo

More
04 Apr 2016 12:49 #37874 by Sideout
Replied by Sideout on topic LanOC Discord
You don't need traffic shaping managed switches. You just need to traffic shape at the firewall. I assume you are talking about using 802.1Q QoS or DSCP traffic shaping? I can imagine it would be a bit tedious to setup especially if you are going to do it on a per game basis. If you had all Cisco , you would need to create several items , class maps , policy groups , ACL's to get it working.

Since most games use UDP for the actual gaming client , you could probably throttle HTTP / TCP connections at the switch level but that would take a pretty decent switch , which is above the budget of most LAN's .

Discord has a port set as well so you can make rules to shape it.

I am the LAN!!!!

We have 1772 guests and no members online

supportus