Looking for programmers

More
04 Jun 2014 12:44 - 04 Jun 2014 13:53 #34925 by garfi3ld
Hey everyone, for a long time we have been hoping to develop a new LAN registration system for both our use and for other events to be able to use. The goal was to stick with Joomla both because we have been using it for a long time, but also because it is an open platform with lots of components and themes available. Obviously designing this is beyond my ability, parall4x had offered to work on something a few times at our events and this summer I reached out to him to talk more about doing this. He has put a little time into it but I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone else was interested in helping with the project. Post up if you are interested and qualified.

Project goals
Easy to use/navigate
Paypal payment support
List of registered attendees
Seatmap that shows where everyone is sitting and is customizable for each event

Possible additions in the future
Adding tournament voting directly into registration

Wes
Last edit: 04 Jun 2014 13:53 by garfi3ld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2014 03:57 - 21 Feb 2017 19:50 #34961 by parall4x
Replied by parall4x on topic Looking for programmers
For those interested, here are a few things that might be helpful to know:
  1. Joomla is mostly PHP and a bit of XML. So far, JavaScript knowledge hasn't been necessary.
  2. Joomla relies heavily on its own MVC (Model, View, Controller) architecture both in the frontend (what users see) and the backend (what Wes and crew see).
  3. Joomla's documentation isn't complete with regard to what we're trying to do here. Specifically, LanOC needs a Joomla 3.3 Component capable of supporting LAN seating functionality. All the documentation has been there to get the framework in place but implementing functions like Add, Edit, Delete for our data is at least partly missing from the wiki. This means we have to reference Joomla's public code on GitHub (github.com/joomla/joomla-cms) to try to reproduce similar functionality to be consistent with Joomla's UI.
  4. We deploy and test our work to free cloud instances of Joomla on www.cloudaccess.net, so getting up and running with our project should be pretty painless.
  5. The data model is MySQL and we're using MySQL Workbench to maintain the model.
  6. The suggested IDE for this project is Netbeans PHP (requires Java JRE >= 1.7). There are some config files in the GitHub project that help Netbeans work with the project. Netbeans also has GitHub integration.

If you're at all interested in at least learning more about what we need or how you can help, please feel free to hit me up via PM so we can schedule some time on TeamSpeak or another medium. Obviously, we'd love to find someone with Joomla Component experience to get us through some of the obstacles we're encountering but right now competent individuals who can learn from existing Joomla code and limited documentation will help this project advance.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2017 19:50 by parall4x.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have 1802 guests and no members online

supportus