Potential Website Downtime

More
31 Dec 2011 20:58 #21948 by garfi3ld
I doubt there will be any issue, but we have moved the website over to its own dedicated server. We still have to transfer our database over. When I go to do that there is the possibility that the website will be down for a short period of time or between the time I download the DB to uploading it on the new server we could see a few new posts vanish. I will do my best to prevent that at all.

On the up side the website is already much quicker, I imagine that we will see an even bigger increase once the database is moved over also.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Dec 2011 22:18 #21949 by Wingless92
If the site goes down even for a minute I will have to buy a new F5 key as I can't live without my LanOC fix.

More
31 Dec 2011 22:57 #21951 by Myndmelt

Wingless92 wrote: If the site goes down even for a minute I will have to buy a new F5 key as I can't live without my LanOC fix.

fanboy

More
01 Jan 2012 04:12 #21953 by chadkirchner
It did go down, but I believe I'm the only one who noticed!

More
01 Jan 2012 04:13 #21954 by chadkirchner
Oh, and it is a lot faster; noticeably faster.

More
01 Jan 2012 04:22 #21955 by garfi3ld
database still isn't moved over, it will be even faster then. I was having trouble with the import. Looks like it might be a day or two. Thats why the site was down quickly tonight, rebooting the server.

Wes

More
01 Jan 2012 04:26 #21956 by chadkirchner

garfi3ld wrote: database still isn't moved over, it will be even faster then. I was having trouble with the import. Looks like it might be a day or two. Thats why the site was down quickly tonight, rebooting the server.

And it allowed me to breakout the Homestar Runner skit too! w00t!
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
01 Jan 2012 05:47 #21957 by Wingless92
It is MUCH faster. It is probably on a SSD over on the host, lol.

F U spinning HDD's.

More
02 Jan 2012 00:56 #21964 by Wingcmdr77
Not sure if you've got everything moved over not not. But whatever you've done so far things
seem much faster already! I could never complain before though it was always responsive enough.

still can't read stuff on the right side. Is that my browser or was it, something I
remember about the software the forum runs on is no longer supported?

More
02 Jan 2012 01:12 #21965 by garfi3ld
can you post a screen shot of what your talking about on the right side?

Wes

More
02 Jan 2012 03:33 - 02 Jan 2012 03:38 #21970 by Wingcmdr77
I've attached a Microsoft Word Document I just cut Alt Printed Screen the pasted into it.

Lanoc Missing Right Side Text Graphics.zip
Last edit: 02 Jan 2012 03:38 by Wingcmdr77.

More
02 Jan 2012 03:34 #21971 by Dreyvas

Wingcmdr77 wrote: I've attached a Microsoft Word Document I just cut Alt Printed Screen the pasted into it.
Lanoc Missing Right Side Text Graphics.doc

ur doin it wrong

More
02 Jan 2012 03:44 #21972 by Wingcmdr77
Sent you a PM to one of your e-mails wes with a picture of it.

More
02 Jan 2012 03:48 #21974 by garfi3ld
attachments can't be larger than 800 px wide or tall

plus .doc isn't a normal image type the website won't accept that.

I got your email though. You ether have the website zoomed in through your browser or your total resolution is to low. The website will cut off the right side if your browser window is smaller than the size of the website and you have to scroll over.

Wes

More
02 Jan 2012 06:09 - 02 Jan 2012 06:12 #21977 by Wingless92
I also notice this. It's only when I take the browser on the LANBox and hit the sides of the monitor with it so it goes to 1/2 screen. When I do that, it cuts the right side off. Even if I scroll over, nothing is there. I rarely do it but it is quite annoying when it does happen.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jan 2012 06:12 by Wingless92.

More
02 Jan 2012 07:30 #21980 by garfi3ld
I'm aware of the issue we just haven't found a solution for it.

Wes

More
02 Jan 2012 10:07 #21985 by Wingcmdr77
glad its not just me. if your using IE use compatibility view. it fixes it fine. I'm not sure of a solution on Firefox yet. Havent tried it on chrome. dont use chrome hardly at all. starting to more though.

More
02 Jan 2012 10:18 #21986 by Twodavez
Have we had a good discussion about browsers lately? i'm still using IE, and i'm sure in this group of people I get odd looks at LAN parties, well besides the normal odd looks i get...
What's the best one out there? Why? How long will it remain that way?
Seems like IE was the only thing out there, then the next big thing was Firefox, then Chrome, now what? is there still one better than the other. I enjoy the favorites bar in IE, but i'm assuming they all have that along with the tab system at the top. I guess i'm still on it due to it's what i have at work. But should i be using something else?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
02 Jan 2012 20:42 #21990 by Wingless92
I like Chrome Dave. It's faster then the rest but it does use more resources. Then again, with an i7 and 12gb of RAM i'm not lacking. Each new tab in chrome is run as it's own instance. It almost as if you had 10 IE's open if you have 10 tabs open in Chrome.

I use the hell outta Google products. I'm as much of a Google Fanboy as Chad is with Apple, lol.

I say give all of them a shot for a week and choose which one is best for you.

More
02 Jan 2012 21:06 #21992 by Dreyvas

Wingless92 wrote: I like Chrome Dave. It's faster then the rest but it does use more resources. Then again, with an i7 and 12gb of RAM i'm not lacking. Each new tab in chrome is run as it's own instance. It almost as if you had 10 IE's open if you have 10 tabs open in Chrome.

I use the hell outta Google products. I'm as much of a Google Fanboy as Chad is with Apple, lol.

I say give all of them a shot for a week and choose which one is best for you.

Wisdom.

More
04 Jan 2012 04:41 #22027 by garfi3ld
We are officially all changed over. Hopefully we should see good speeds even when the site is getting slammed. Before I would have times when the site was very slow and times when it was fast. When we would have over 1k people hitting us at once it was just bogging down.

We are now running on a dual core 2 gig dedicated server running in raid with a 100Mb connection meaning. I noticed already that uploading images was quicker, I bet download speeds are much better also!

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt

We have 1990 guests and no members online

supportus